Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
1963 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1963 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- May 3, 1963 – The police force in Birmingham, Alabama switches tactics and responds with violent force to stop the “Birmingham campaign” protesters. Images of the violent suppression are transmitted worldwide, bringing newfound attention to the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
- June 5, 1963 – British Secretary of State for War John Profumo resigns in a sex scandal known as the Profumo Affair.
- June 11, 1963 – Buddhist monk Thich Quang Duc burns himself with gasoline in a busy Saigon intersection to protest the lack of religious freedom in South Vietnam.
- June 17, 1963 – A day after South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem announced the Joint Communique to end the Buddhist crisis, a riot involving around 2,000 people breaks out. One person is killed.
- August 5, 1963 – The United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union sign a nuclear test ban treaty.
- August 24, 1963 – Buddhist crisis: As a result of the Xa Loi Pagoda raids, the US State Department cables the US Embassy in Saigon to encourage Army of the Republic of Vietnam generals to launch a coup against President Ngo Dinh Diem if he did not remove his brother Ngo Dinh Nhu.
- August 30, 1963 – The Hotline between the leaders of the U.S.A. and the Soviet Union goes into operation.
- October 9, 1963 – In northeast Italy, over 2,000 people are killed when a large landslide behind the Vajont Dam causes a giant wave of water to overtop it.
- November 23, 1963 – The BBC broadcasts the first ever episode of Doctor Who (starring William Hartnell) which is the world’s longest running science fiction drama.
Who Were Born On 1963?
- March 5, 1963 – Joel Osteen, American religious figure
- March 6, 1963 – D. L. Hughley, American comedian and actor
- June 26, 1963 – Richard Garfield, American game designer
- June 30, 1963 – Yngwie Malmsteen, Swedish guitarist
- July 18, 1963 – Mike Greenwell, baseball player
- July 24, 1963 – Karl Malone, American basketball player
- July 29, 1963 – Alexandra Paul, American actress
- November 4, 1963 – Rosario Flores, Spanish singer and actress
- November 16, 1963 – Steve Arguelles, British jazz drummer
- December 10, 1963 – Jahangir Khan, former World No. 1 professional squash player from Pakistan