Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1963 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1963 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- February 5, 1963 – The European Court of Justice’s ruling in Van Gend en Loos v Nederlandse Administratie der Belastingen establishes the principle of direct effect, one of the most important, if not the most important, decisions in the development of European Union law.
- February 8, 1963 – The regime of Prime Minister of Iraq, Brigadier General Abdul-Karim Qassem is overthrown by the Ba'ath Party.
- May 3, 1963 – The police force in Birmingham, Alabama switches tactics and responds with violent force to stop the “Birmingham campaign” protesters. Images of the violent suppression are transmitted worldwide, bringing newfound attention to the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
- May 14, 1963 – Kuwait joins the United Nations.
- June 1, 1963 – Kenya gains internal self-rule (Madaraka Day).
- June 3, 1963 – The Buddhist crisis: Soldiers of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam attack protesting Buddhists in Huế, South Vietnam, with liquid chemicals from tear gas grenades, causing 67 people to be hospitalised for blistering of the skin and respiratory ailments.
- June 17, 1963 – A day after South Vietnamese President Ngo Dinh Diem announced the Joint Communique to end the Buddhist crisis, a riot involving around 2,000 people breaks out. One person is killed.
- August 30, 1963 – The Hotline between the leaders of the U.S.A. and the Soviet Union goes into operation.
- December 22, 1963 – The cruise ship Lakonia burns 180 mi north of Madeira with the loss of 128 lives.
Who Were Born On 1963?
- February 16, 1963 – Dano Halsall, Swiss swimmer
- March 30, 1963 – Panagiotis Tsalouchidis, Greek footballer
- May 8, 1963 – Rick Zombo, American ice hockey player
- August 10, 1963 – Phoolan Devi, Indian bandit (d. 2001)
- October 15, 1963 – Stanley Menzo, Dutch footballer and manager
- October 17, 1963 – Sergio Goycochea, Argentine footballer
- November 2, 1963 – Craig Saavedra, American filmmaker
- November 4, 1963 – Rosario Flores, Spanish singer and actress
- December 22, 1963 – Brian McMillan, South African cricketer