Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1968 Historical Event(s)
- January 30, 1968 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- April 4, 1968 – Martin Luther King, Jr. is assassinated by James Earl Ray at a motel in Memphis, Tennessee.
- June 3, 1968 – Valerie Solanas, author of SCUM Manifesto, attempts to assassinate Andy Warhol by shooting him three times.
- June 8, 1968 – Robert F. Kennedy’s funeral takes place at the Basilica of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, New York City.
- August 21, 1968 – Soviet Union-dominated Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring; on the same day, Nicolae Ceauşescu, leader of Communist Romania, publicly condemns the Soviet maneuver, encouraging the Romanian population to arm itself against possible Soviet reprisals.
- August 28, 1968 – Riots in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention.
- September 15, 1968 – The Soviet Zond 5 spaceship is launched, becoming the first spacecraft to fly around the Moon and re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere.
- October 14, 1968 – An earthquake rated at 6.8 on the Richter Scale destroys the Australian town of Meckering, Western Australia, and it also ruptures all nearby main highways and railroads.
- November 8, 1968 – The Vienna Convention on Road Traffic is signed to facilitate international road traffic and to increase road safety by standardising the uniform traffic rules among the signatories.
- December 24, 1968 – Apollo Program: The crew of Apollo 8 enters into orbit around the Moon, becoming the first humans to do so. They performed 10 lunar orbits and broadcast live TV pictures that became the famous Christmas Eve Broadcast, one of the most watched programs in history.
Who Were Born On 1968?
- February 12, 1968 – Christopher McCandless, American nomad, subject of biography Into the Wild (d. 1992)
- February 25, 1968 – Sandrine Kiberlain, French actress
- February 28, 1968 – Stéphan Lebeau, Canadian ice hockey player
- March 18, 1968 – Shinichiro Miki, Japanese voice actor
- April 7, 1968 – Jennifer Lynch, American director
- May 12, 1968 – Scott Schwartz, American actor
- July 9, 1968 – Paolo Di Canio, Italian football player
- October 10, 1968 – Bart Brentjens, Dutch mountain biker
- November 21, 1968 – Antonio Tarver, American boxer
- December 17, 1968 – Paul Tracy, Canadian race car driver