Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1968 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 1968 – Vietnam War: Battle of Khe Sanh – One of the most publicized and controversial battles of the war begins.
- January 22, 1968 – Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- January 23, 1968 – North Korea seizes the USS Pueblo, claiming the ship had violated their territorial waters while spying.
- January 30, 1968 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 17, 1968 – In Springfield, Massachusetts, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame opens.
- August 21, 1968 – Soviet Union-dominated Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring; on the same day, Nicolae Ceauşescu, leader of Communist Romania, publicly condemns the Soviet maneuver, encouraging the Romanian population to arm itself against possible Soviet reprisals.
- August 28, 1968 – Riots in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention.
- October 8, 1968 – Vietnam War: Operation Sealords – United States and South Vietnamese forces launch a new operation in the Mekong Delta.
- October 14, 1968 – An earthquake rated at 6.8 on the Richter Scale destroys the Australian town of Meckering, Western Australia, and it also ruptures all nearby main highways and railroads.
- December 13, 1968 – Brazilian president Artur da Costa e Silva decrees the AI-5 (or the fifth Institutional Act), which lasts until 1978 and marks the beginning of the hard times of Brazilian military dictatorship.
Who Were Born On 1968?
- January 9, 1968 – Catalina Saavedra, Chilean actress
- January 28, 1968 – Sarah McLachlan, Canadian singer and songwriter
- February 5, 1968 – Roberto Alomar, Puerto Rican baseball player
- March 3, 1968 – Brian Leetch, American ice hockey player
- March 22, 1968 – Euronymous, Norwegian musician (d. 1993)
- May 8, 1968 – Nathalie Normandeau, Quebec politician
- May 27, 1968 – Rebekah Brooks, English journalist and newspaper editor
- June 29, 1968 – Judith Hoag, American actress and acting teacher
- August 5, 1968 – Colin McRae, Scottish rally driver (d. 2007)
- August 10, 1968 – Greg Hawgood, Canadian ice hockey player