Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1970 Historical Event(s)
- January 16, 1970 – Buckminster Fuller receives the Gold Medal award from the American Institute of Architects.
- February 6, 1970 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dog in Chinese astrology.
- March 4, 1970 – French submarine Eurydice explodes underwater, resulting in the loss of the entire 57-man crew.
- April 13, 1970 – An oxygen tank aboard Apollo 13 explodes, putting the crew in great danger and causing major damage to the spacecraft while en route to the Moon.
- May 8, 1970 – The Hard Hat riot occurs in the Wall Street area of New York City as blue-collar construction workers clash with demonstrators protesting the Vietnam War.
- September 16, 1970 – King Hussein of Jordan declares military rule following the hijacking of four civilian airliners by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP). This results in the formation of the Black September Palestinian paramilitary unit.
- October 15, 1970 – Thirty-five construction workers are killed when a section of the new West Gate Bridge in Melbourne collapses.
- November 10, 1970 – Vietnam War: Vietnamization – For the first time in five years, an entire week ends with no reports of American combat fatalities in Southeast Asia.
- November 13, 1970 – Bhola cyclone: A 150-mph tropical cyclone hits the densely populated Ganges Delta region of East Pakistan (now Bangladesh), killing an estimated 500,000 people in one night. This is regarded as the 20th century’s worst natural disaster.
- December 23, 1970 – The North Tower of the World Trade Center in Manhattan, New York City is topped out at 1,368 feet (417 m), making it the tallest building in the world.
Who Were Born On 1970?
- January 6, 1970 – Gabrielle Reece, American volleyball player
- February 11, 1970 – Fredrik Thordendal, Swedish musician
- March 26, 1970 – Paul Bosvelt, Dutch football player
- July 3, 1970 – Shawnee Smith, American actress
- July 8, 1970 – Beck, American singer
- September 19, 1970 – Takanori Nishikawa, Japanese pop/rock singer
- September 29, 1970 – Nicolás Pereira, Venezuelan tennis player
- November 22, 1970 – Marvan Atapattu, Sri Lankan cricketeer
- December 14, 1970 – Beth Orton, English singer-songwriter
- December 29, 1970 – Glen Phillips, American musician (Toad The Wet Sprocket)