Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1971 Historical Event(s)
- January 27, 1971 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
- February 8, 1971 – South Vietnamese ground troops launch an incursion into Laos to try to cut off the Ho Chi Minh trail and stop communist infiltration.
- February 9, 1971 – The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
- April 5, 1971 – In Sri Lanka, Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna launches insurrection against the United Front government of Sirimavo Bandaranaike.
- July 5, 1971 – Right to vote: the Twenty-sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution, lowering the voting age from 21 to 18 years, is formally certified by President Richard Nixon.
- August 27, 1971 – An attempted coup fails in the African nation of Chad. The Government of Chad accuses Egypt of playing a role in the attempt and breaks off diplomatic relations.
- October 1, 1971 – Walt Disney World opens near Orlando, Florida, United States.
- November 28, 1971 – Fred Quilt, a leader of the Tsilhqot'in First Nation is severely beaten by Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers; he dies two days later.
- December 8, 1971 – Indo-Pakistani War: The Indian Navy launches an attack on West Pakistan’s port city of Karachi.
- December 14, 1971 – Over 200 of East Pakistan’s (now Bangladesh) intellectuals are massacred by the Pakistani Army and their local allies.
Who Were Born On 1971?
- January 20, 1971 – Derrick Green, American singer (Sepultura)
- April 11, 1971 – Vicellous Reon Shannon, American actor
- May 26, 1971 – Matt Stone, American animator and filmmaker
- July 14, 1971 – Marie-Chantal Toupin, Canadian singer
- August 9, 1971 – Davide Rebellin, Italian cyclist
- September 17, 1971 – Nate Berkus, American television host
- October 29, 1971 – Daniel J. Bernstein, American professor
- November 8, 1971 – Carlos Atanes, Spanish film director
- December 10, 1971 – Bill Baroni, American government official
- December 31, 1971 – Brent Barry, American basketball player