Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1979 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1979 – Formal diplomatic relations are established between the China and the United States.
- January 28, 1979 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- March 5, 1979 – America’s Voyager 1 spacecraft has its closest approach to Jupiter, 172,000 miles.
- June 3, 1979 – A blowout at the Ixtoc I oil well in the southern Gulf of Mexico causes at least 3000000 oilbbl of oil to be spilled into the waters, the second-worst accidental oil spill ever recorded.
- August 7, 1979 – Several tornadoes struck the city of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada and the surrounding communities.
- October 17, 1979 – Mother Teresa awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- November 4, 1979 – Iran hostage crisis begins: a group of Iranians, mostly students, invades the US embassy in Tehran and takes 90 hostages (53 of whom are American).
- November 21, 1979 – The United States Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan is attacked by a mob and set on fire, killing four. (see: Foreign relations of Pakistan)
- November 23, 1979 – In Dublin, Ireland, Provisional Irish Republican Army member Thomas McMahon is sentenced to life in prison for the assassination of Lord Mountbatten.
- December 12, 1979 – A major earthquake and tsunami kill 259 people in Colombia.
Who Were Born On 1979?
- January 27, 1979 – Liesbet Van Breedam, Belgian beach volleyball player
- March 20, 1979 – Bernard O'Connor, Gaelic Footballer
- May 17, 1979 – Wayne Thomas, English footballer
- May 18, 1979 – Anna Chatziathanassiou, Greek figure skater
- May 21, 1979 – Damián Ariel Álvarez, Argentinian footballer
- July 1, 1979 – Forrest Griffin, American mixed martial artist
- September 10, 1979 – Andreas Aniko, Estonian footballer
- September 23, 1979 – Lote Tuqiri, Fijian/Australian Rugby League and Rugby Union Player
- November 16, 1979 – Bruce Irons, American surfer