Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1979 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1979 – Formal diplomatic relations are established between the China and the United States.
- January 28, 1979 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- February 13, 1979 – An intense windstorm strikes western Washington and sinks a 1/2-mile-long section of the Hood Canal Bridge.
- February 22, 1979 – Independence of Saint Lucia from the United Kingdom.
- March 5, 1979 – Soviet probes Venera 11, Venera 12 and the American solar satellite Helios II all are hit by “off the scale” gamma rays leading to the discovery of soft gamma repeaters.
- June 3, 1979 – A blowout at the Ixtoc I oil well in the southern Gulf of Mexico causes at least 3000000 oilbbl of oil to be spilled into the waters, the second-worst accidental oil spill ever recorded.
- September 7, 1979 – The Chrysler Corporation asks the United States government for USD $1.5 billion to avoid bankruptcy.
- October 14, 1979 – The first Gay Rights March on Washington, D.C., the National March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, demands “an end to all social, economic, judicial, and legal oppression of lesbian and gay people”, and draws 200,000 people.
- October 15, 1979 – Black Monday in Malta. The Building of the Times of Malta, the residence of the opposition leader Eddie Fenech Adami and several Nationalist Party clubs are ransacked and destroyed by supporters of the Malta Labour Party.
- November 10, 1979 – A 106-car Canadian Pacific freight train carrying explosive and poisonous chemicals from Windsor, Ontario, Canada derails in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada just west of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, causing a massive explosion and the largest peacetime evacuation in Canadian history and one of the largest in North American history.
Who Were Born On 1979?
- January 5, 1979 – Kyle Calder, Canadian ice hockey player
- January 29, 1979 – Joseph Todd, Arena Football League player
- March 13, 1979 – Johan Santana, Venezuelan baseball player
- April 10, 1979 – Tsuyoshi Domoto, Japanese artist
- May 9, 1979 – Matt Morris, American singer-songwriter
- July 24, 1979 – Anne-Gaëlle Sidot, French tennis player
- July 31, 1979 – Carlos Marchena, Spanish footballer
- November 7, 1979 – Joey Ryan, American professional wrestler
- December 11, 1979 – Rider Strong, American actor
- December 20, 1979 – Ramon Rodriguez (actor), Puerto-Rican American Actor