Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QAEEOAFL? Check your answers here: Word scramble QAEEOAFL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1981 Historical Event(s)
- February 5, 1981 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- February 24, 1981 – An earthquake registering 6.7 on the Richter scale hits Athens, killing 16 people and destroying buildings in several towns west of the city.
- March 27, 1981 – The Solidarity movement in Poland stages a warning strike, in which at least 12 million Poles walk off their jobs for four hours.
- April 26, 1981 – Dr. Michael R. Harrison of the University of California, San Francisco Medical Center performs the world’s first human open fetal surgery.
- May 5, 1981 – Bobby Sands dies in the Long Kesh prison hospital after 66 days of hunger-striking, aged 27.
- June 6, 1981 – Bihar train disaster A passenger train travelling between Mansi and Saharsa, India, jumps the tracks at a bridge crossing the Bagmati river. The government places the official death toll at 268 plus another 300 missing; however, it is generally believed that the actual figure is closer to 1,000 killed.
- June 11, 1981 – A Richter Scale 6.9 magnitude earthquake at Golbaf, Iran, kills at least 2,000.
- August 3, 1981 – Senegalese opposition parties, under the leadership of Mamadou Dia, launch the Antiimperialist Action Front-Suxxali Reew Mi.
- August 30, 1981 – President Mohammad-Ali Rajai and Prime Minister Mohammad-Javad Bahonar of Iran are assassinated in a bombing committed by the People’s Mujahedin of Iran.
- December 30, 1981 – In the 39th game of his 3rd NHL season Wayne Gretzky scores 5 goals giving him 50 on the year setting a new NHL record previously held by Maurice Richard and Mike Bossy who earlier had each scored 50 goals in 50 games.
Who Were Born On 1981?
- January 20, 1981 – Brendan Fevola, Australian Rules Football Player
- May 26, 1981 – Isaac Slade, American musician (The Fray)
- July 2, 1981 – Carlos Rogers, American football player
- July 7, 1981 – Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Indian cricketer
- July 24, 1981 – Mark Robinson, English footballer
- August 16, 1981 – Roque Santa Cruz, Paraguayan footballer
- August 29, 1981 – Geneviève Jeanson, French Canadian cyclist
- September 17, 1981 – Bakari Koné, Ivorian footballer
- September 27, 1981 – Sophie Crumb, American comics artist
- November 20, 1981 – Kimberley Walsh, English singer (Girls Aloud)