Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1981 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 1981 – Production of the iconic DeLorean DMC-12 sports car begins in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland.
- February 5, 1981 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- February 23, 1981 – In Spain, Antonio Tejero attempts a coup d'état by capturing the Spanish Congress of Deputies.
- March 6, 1981 – After 19 years of presenting the CBS Evening News, Walter Cronkite signs off for the last time.
- June 24, 1981 – The Humber Bridge is opened to traffic, connecting Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. It would be the world’s longest single-span suspension bridge for 17 years.
- June 27, 1981 – The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China issues its “Resolution on Certain Questions in the History of Our Party Since the Founding of the People’s Republic of China”, laying the blame for the Cultural Revolution on Mao Zedong.
- August 10, 1981 – Murder of Adam Walsh: the head of John Walsh’s son is found. This inspires the creation of the television series America’s Most Wanted.
- September 15, 1981 – The Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approves Sandra Day O'Connor to become the first female justice of the Supreme Court of the United States
- October 20, 1981 – Two police officers and an armored car guard are killed during an armed robbery in Rockland County, NY, carried out by members of the Black Liberation Army and Weather Underground.
Who Were Born On 1981?
- January 10, 1981 – Inga Jankauskaitė, Lithuanian actress and singer
- February 1, 1981 – Graeme Smith, South African cricketer
- March 4, 1981 – Helen Wyman, British cyclist
- March 28, 1981 – Gareth David-Lloyd, Welsh Actor
- May 31, 1981 – Tasha Reid, Korean rapper
- June 10, 1981 – Prince Hashim bin Al Hussein, Jordanian royalty
- July 8, 1981 – Anastasia Myskina, Russian tennis player
- July 13, 1981 – Mirco Lorenzetto, Italian cyclist
- September 1, 1981 – Adam Quick, Australian basketball player
- November 21, 1981 – Piet Rinke, Zimbabwean cricketer