Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1981 Historical Event(s)
- January 10, 1981 – Salvadoran Civil War: The FMLN launches its first major offensive, gaining control of most of Morazán and Chalatenango departments
- February 5, 1981 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- February 23, 1981 – In Spain, Antonio Tejero attempts a coup d'état by capturing the Spanish Congress of Deputies.
- March 5, 1981 – The ZX81, a pioneering British home computer, is launched by Sinclair Research and would go on to sell over 1.5 million units around the world.
- June 13, 1981 – At the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London, a teenager, Marcus Sarjeant, fires six blank shots at Queen Elizabeth II.
- June 27, 1981 – The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China issues its “Resolution on Certain Questions in the History of Our Party Since the Founding of the People’s Republic of China”, laying the blame for the Cultural Revolution on Mao Zedong.
- August 7, 1981 – The Washington Star ceases all operations after 128 years of publication.
- August 24, 1981 – Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for murdering John Lennon.
- September 1, 1981 – A coup d'état in the Central African Republic overthrows President David Dacko.
- September 25, 1981 – Belize joins the United Nations.
Who Were Born On 1981?
- February 1, 1981 – Graeme Smith, South African cricketer
- April 10, 1981 – Michael Pitt, American actor
- April 15, 1981 – Andrés D'Alessandro, Argentine football player
- April 26, 1981 – Matthieu Delpierre, French footballer
- May 11, 1981 – Dusán Mukics, Slovene journalist and reporter in Hungary
- May 27, 1981 – Özgür Çevik, Turkish singer and actor
- June 20, 1981 – Angerfist, Dutch musician
- August 5, 1981 – Erik Guay, Canadian alpine skier
- September 28, 1981 – José Calderón, Spanish basketball player
- October 2, 1981 – Luke Wilkshire, Australian footballer