Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1981 Historical Event(s)
- January 18, 1981 – Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield parachute off a Houston skyscraper, becoming the first two people to BASE jump from objects in all four categories: buildings, antennae, spans (bridges), and earth (cliffs).
- January 20, 1981 – Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, at age 69 the oldest man ever to be inaugurated as U.S. President, Iran releases 52 American hostages.
- February 5, 1981 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- February 8, 1981 – Twenty-one association football spectators are trampled to death at Karaiskakis Stadium in Neo Faliro, Greece, after a football match between Olympiacos F.C. and AEK Athens FC.
- June 27, 1981 – The Central Committee of the Communist Party of China issues its “Resolution on Certain Questions in the History of Our Party Since the Founding of the People’s Republic of China”, laying the blame for the Cultural Revolution on Mao Zedong.
- July 16, 1981 – Mahathir bin Mohamad becomes Malaysia’s 4th Prime Minister; his 22 years in office, ending with retirement on 31 October 2003, made him Asia’s longest-serving political leader.
- August 12, 1981 – The IBM Personal Computer is released.
- August 24, 1981 – Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison for murdering John Lennon.
- September 25, 1981 – Sandra Day O'Connor becomes the 102nd person sworn in as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States and the first woman to hold the office.
- November 23, 1981 – Iran-Contra Affair: Ronald Reagan signs the top secret National Security Decision Directive 17 (NSDD-17), giving the Central Intelligence Agency the authority to recruit and support Contra rebels in Nicaragua.
Who Were Born On 1981?
- January 4, 1981 – Silvy De Bie, Belgian singer
- January 11, 1981 – Jamelia, English singer
- January 16, 1981 – Bobby Zamora, English footballer
- February 1, 1981 – Rob Austin, British racing driver
- June 30, 1981 – Matt Kirk, Canadian football player
- July 24, 1981 – Summer Glau, American actress
- October 3, 1981 – Danny Coid, English footballer
- October 12, 1981 – Brian J. Smith, American actor
- October 19, 1981 – Heikki Kovalainen, Finnish race car driver
- October 29, 1981 – Amanda Beard, American swimmer