Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1983 Historical Event(s)
- February 13, 1983 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Pig in Chinese astrology.
- February 22, 1983 – The notorious Broadway flop Moose Murders opens and closes on the same night at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre.
- February 23, 1983 – The United States Environmental Protection Agency announces its intent to buy out and evacuate the dioxin-contaminated community of Times Beach, Missouri.
- March 16, 1983 – Demolition of the radio tower Ismaning, the last wooden radio tower in Germany.
- April 22, 1983 – The German magazine Der Stern claims that the “Hitler Diaries” had been found in wreckage in East Germany; the diaries are subsequently revealed to be forgeries.
- July 7, 1983 – Cold War: Samantha Smith, a U.S. schoolgirl, flies to the Soviet Union at the invitation of Secretary General Yuri Andropov.
- July 23, 1983 – Gimli Glider: Air Canada Flight 143 runs out of fuel and makes a deadstick landing at Gimli, Manitoba.
- October 13, 1983 – Ameritech Mobile Communications (now AT&T) launched the first US cellular network in Chicago, Illinois.
- October 21, 1983 – The metre is defined at the seventeenth General Conference on Weights and Measures as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
- December 19, 1983 – The original FIFA World Cup trophy, the Jules Rimet Trophy, is stolen from the headquarters of the Brazilian Football Confederation in Rio de Janeiro.
Who Were Born On 1983?
- February 6, 1983 – Brodie Croyle, American football player
- March 4, 1983 – Ryan Lonie, Australian football player
- April 12, 1983 – Jelena Dokić, Serbian/Australian tennis player
- May 26, 1983 – Demy de Zeeuw, Dutch footballer
- June 14, 1983 – John Stocco, American football player
- July 13, 1983 – Liu Xiang, Chinese hurdler
- August 6, 1983 – Neil Harvey, Barbadian footballer
- September 9, 1983 – Kim Jung-hwa, South Korean actress and model
- September 21, 1983 – Maggie Grace, American actress
- December 27, 1983 – Cole Hamels, American baseball player