Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1984 Historical Event(s)
- February 2, 1984 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 29, 1984 – Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau announces he will retire as soon as the Liberals can elect another leader.
- April 6, 1984 – Members of Cameroon’s Republican Guard unsuccessfully attempt to overthrow the government headed by Paul Biya.
- June 3, 1984 – Operation Blue Star, a military offensive, is launched by the Indian government at Harmandir Sahib, also known as the Golden Temple, the holiest shrine for the Sikhs, in Amritsar. The operation continues until June 6 with casualties, most of them civilians, in excess of 5,000.
- June 22, 1984 – Virgin Atlantic Airways launches with its first flight from London Heathrow Airport.
- August 11, 1984 – “We begin bombing in five minutes” - United States President Ronald Reagan, while running for re-election, jokes while preparing to make his weekly Saturday address on National Public Radio.
- October 31, 1984 – Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by two security guards. Riots break out in New Delhi and nearly 10,000 Sikhs are killed.
- November 10, 1984 – The first Breeders’ Cup takes place at Hollywood Park Racetrack.
- December 3, 1984 – Bhopal Disaster: A methyl isocyanate leak from a Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, kills more than 3,800 people outright and injures 150,000–600,000 others (some 6,000 of whom would later die from their injuries) in one of the worst industrial disasters in history.
- December 12, 1984 – Maaouiya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya becomes the third president of Mauritania after a coup d'état against Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla while the latter is attending a summit.
Who Were Born On 1984?
- January 9, 1984 – Benjamin Danso, German rugby player
- January 23, 1984 – Arjen Robben, Dutch footballer
- March 3, 1984 – Valerio Bernabò, Italian rugby player
- March 8, 1984 – Dave Moffatt, Canadian musician
- March 26, 1984 – David McGowan, English footballer
- June 24, 1984 – J. J. Redick, American basketball player
- September 16, 1984 – Serginho, Brazilian footballer
- September 29, 1984 – Per Mertesacker, German footballer
- December 7, 1984 – Robert Kubica, the first Polish Formula One racing driver