Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters NOOTGVPXXIIE? Check your answers here: Word scramble NOOTGVPXXIIE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1989 Historical Event(s)
- February 6, 1989 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Snake in Chinese astrology.
- February 15, 1989 – Soviet Union invasion of Afghanistan: The Soviet Union officially announces that all of its troops have left Afghanistan.
- May 6, 1989 – Cedar Point opens Magnum XL-200, the first roller coaster to break the 200 ft height barrier, therefore spawning what is considered to be the “coaster wars”.
- May 13, 1989 – Large groups of students occupy Tiananmen Square and begin a hunger strike.
- June 28, 1989 – The 600th anniversary of the Battle of Kosovo. Serbian leader Slobodan Milošević delivers the Gazimestan speech at the site of the historic battle, which is later interpreted as foreshadowing the Yugoslav Wars.
- August 2, 1989 – Pakistan is re-admitted to the Commonwealth of Nations after having restoring democracy for the first time since 1972.
- August 16, 1989 – A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto’s stock market.
- August 20, 1989 – The pleasure boat Marchioness sinks on the River Thames following a collision, 51 people are killed.
- November 16, 1989 – A death squad composed of El Salvadoran army troops kills six Jesuit priests and two others at Jose Simeon Canas University.
- November 17, 1989 – Cold War: Velvet Revolution begins: In Czechoslovakia, a student demonstration in Prague is quelled by riot police. This sparks an uprising aimed at overthrowing the communist government (it succeeds on December 29).
Who Were Born On 1989?
- January 26, 1989 – Marshon Brooks, American basketball player
- February 22, 1989 – Alia Sabur, American college educator
- April 19, 1989 – Dominik Mader, German footballer
- May 5, 1989 – Larissa Wilson, English actress
- May 17, 1989 – Tessa Virtue, Canadian ice dancer
- June 11, 1989 – Keith Aulie, Canadian hockey player
- June 16, 1989 – Jelena Glebova, Estonian figure skater
- June 24, 1989 – Apoorva Anwekar, Indian Born active in Raipur Chattisgarh (2PM)
- August 16, 1989 – Charlotte Gurr, English footballer
- August 17, 1989 – Elena Hight, American snowboarder