Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
2002 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 2002 – Euro banknotes and coins become legal tender in twelve of the European Union’s member states.
- February 12, 2002 – An Iran Air Tours Tupolev Tu-154 crashes in the mountains outside Khorramabad, Iran while descending for a landing at Khorramabad Airport, killing 119.
- March 1, 2002 – U.S. invasion of Afghanistan: Operation Anaconda begins in eastern Afghanistan.
- May 23, 2002 – The “55 parties” clause of the Kyoto protocol is reached after its ratification by Iceland.
- June 22, 2002 – An earthquake measuring 6.5 Mw strikes a region of northwestern Iran killing at least 261 people and injuring 1,300 others and eventually causing widespread public anger due to the slowness of the victims receiving aid and supplies.
- June 24, 2002 – The Igandu train disaster in Tanzania kills 281, the worst train accident in African history.
- June 29, 2002 – Naval clashes between South Korea and North Korea lead to the death of six South Korean sailors and sinking of a North Korean vessel.
- September 27, 2002 – Timor-Leste (East Timor) joins the United Nations.
- October 29, 2002 – Ho Chi Minh City ITC Inferno, a fire destroys a luxurious department store where 1500 people are shopping. Over 60 people die and over 100 are unaccounted for. It is the deadliest disaster in Vietnam during peacetime.
Who Were Born On 2002?
- February 5, 2002 – Davis Cleveland, American actor
- April 11, 2002 – Alexa Gerasimovich, American actress
- April 30, 2002 – Miguel Urdangarín y de Borbón, Spanish prince
- June 25, 2002 – Mason Vale Cotton, American actor
- July 22, 2002 – Prince Felix of Denmark, Danish royalty
- July 30, 2002 – Prince Hridayendra of Nepal, Nepalese royal
- September 19, 2002 – Jason and Kristopher Simmons, American identical twin actors
- November 14, 2002 – Ben Bowen, American brain cancer victim (d. 2005)
- December 28, 2002 – Kelsey Smith-Briggs, American murder victim (d. 2005)