Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
2008 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 2008 – Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 11 September 2001, and Asian stocks drop as much as 14%.
- February 7, 2008 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 11, 2008 – Rebel East Timorese soldiers seriously wound President José Ramos-Horta. Rebel leader Alfredo Reinado is killed in the attack.
- April 6, 2008 – 2008 Egyptian general strike starts led by Egyptian workers.
- May 26, 2008 – Severe flooding begins in eastern and southern China that will ultimately cause 148 deaths and force the evacuation of 1.3 million.
- August 8, 2008 – 2008 Summer Olympics took place from the 8th August 2008-24th August 2008. The official opening ceremony started at 8:00pm on 8th August 2008. The number 8 is associated with prosperity and confidence in Chinese Culture and here it was a triple eight for the date and one extra for time (close to 08:08:08 pm). There were 28 sports and 302 events at the games. There were 43 new world records and 132 new Olympic records set at the 2008 Summer Olympics. An unprecedented 86 countries won at least one medal during the Games.
- September 27, 2008 – CNSA astronaut Zhai Zhigang becomes the first Chinese person to perform a spacewalk while flying on Shenzhou 7.
- September 28, 2008 – SpaceX launches the first ever private spacecraft, the Falcon 1 into orbit.
- September 29, 2008 – Following the bankruptcies of Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual, The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 777.68 points, the largest single-day point loss in its history.
- November 11, 2008 – RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 (QE2) sets sail on her final voyage to Dubai.
Who Were Born On 2008?
- April 16, 2008 – Princess Eléonore of Belgium
- September 17, 2008 – Mia Talerico, American child actress
- September 29, 2008 – Emma Tallulah Behn, member of the extended Norwegian royal family