April 15: Day of the Week
April 15, 2016 was the 106th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 260 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1738Premiere in London, England, Great Britain of Serse, an Italian opera by George Frideric Handel.
- 1755Samuel Johnson’s A Dictionary of the English Language is published in London.
- 1865Abraham Lincoln dies without regaining consciousness after being shot the previous evening by actor John Wilkes Booth.
- 1892The General Electric Company is formed.
- 1943An Allied bomber attack misses the Minerva automobile factory and hits the Belgian town of Mortsel instead, killing 936 civilians.
- 1947Jackie Robinson debuts for the Brooklyn Dodgers, breaking baseball’s color line.
- 1955McDonald’s restaurant dates its founding to the opening of a franchised restaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois
- 1960At Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina, Ella Baker leads a conference that results in the creation of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, one of the principal organizations of the African-American Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s.
- 1970During the Cambodian Civil War, massacres of the Vietnamese minority results in 800 bodies flowing down the Mekong River into South Vietnam.
- 1989Upon Hu Yaobang’s death, the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 begin in the People’s Republic of China.
Who were born on April 15?
- 1809Hermann Grassmann, German mathematician (d. 1877)
- 1878Robert Walser, Swiss writer (d. 1956)
- 1894Nikita Khrushchev, Premier of the Soviet Union (d. 1971)
- 1901Joe Davis, English snooker player (d. 1978)
- 1922Harold Washington, American politician (d. 1987)
- 1937Bob Luman, American country singer (d. 1978)
- 1952Brian Muir, British sculptor and creator of Darth Vader
- 1966Samantha Fox, English singer
- 1976Jason Bonsignore, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1978Tim Corcoran, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.