April 5: Day of the Week
April 5, 2017 is the 95th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 270 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1609Daimyo (Lord) of the Satsuma Domain in southern Kyūshū, Japan, completes his successful invasion of the Ryūkyū Kingdom in Okinawa.
- 1722The Dutch explorer Jacob Roggeveen discovers Easter Island.
- 1874Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park, is opened in Birkenhead.
- 1900Archaeologists in Knossos, Crete, discover a large cache of clay tablets with hieroglyphic writing in a script they call Linear B.
- 1922The American Birth Control League, forerunner of Planned Parenthood, is incorporated.
- 1933U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs two executive orders: 6101 to establish the Civilian Conservation Corps, and 6102 “forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion, and Gold Certificates” by U.S. citizens.
- 1946Soviet troops leave the island of Bornholm, Denmark after an 11 month occupation.
- 1956Fidel Castro declares himself at war with the President of Cuba.
- 1992Alberto Fujimori, president of Peru, dissolves the Peruvian congress by military force.
- 1998In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshū and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opens to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.
Who were born on April 5?
- 1523Blaise de Vigenère, French cryptographer (d. 1596)
- 1863Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine (d. 1950)
- 1899Alfred Blalock, American surgeon (d. 1964)
- 1912John Le Mesurier, British actor (d. 1983)
- 1932Billy Bland, American singer and songwriter
- 1952Mitch Pileggi, American actor
- 1954Stan Ridgway, American musician (Wall of Voodoo)
- 1971Dong Abay, Filipino musician and singer-songwriter
- 1972Paul Okon, Australian footballer
- 1988Alex Valentini, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.