April 5: Day of the Week
April 5, 2017 was the 95th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 270 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1614In Virginia, Native American Pocahontas marries English colonist John Rolfe.
- 1818In the Battle of Maipú, Chile’s independence movement – led by Bernardo O'Higgins and José de San Martín – win a decisive victory over Spain, leaving 2,000 Spaniards and 1,000 Chilean patriots dead.
- 1900Archaeologists in Knossos, Crete, discover a large cache of clay tablets with hieroglyphic writing in a script they call Linear B.
- 1944World War II: 270 inhabitants of the Greek town of Kleisoura are executed by the Germans.
- 1945Cold War: Yugoslav leader Josip “Tito” Broz signs an agreement with the Soviet Union to allow “temporary entry of Soviet troops into Yugoslav territory”.
- 1956Fidel Castro declares himself at war with the President of Cuba.
- 1971In Sri Lanka, Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna launches insurrection against the United Front government of Sirimavo Bandaranaike.
- 1998In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshū and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opens to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.
- 1999Two Libyans suspected of bringing down Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 are handed over for eventual trial in the Netherlands.
- 2010Twenty-nine coal miners are killed in an explosion at the Upper Big Branch Mine in West Virginia.
Who were born on April 5?
- 1784Louis Spohr, German composer and violinist (d. 1859)
- 1920Arthur Hailey, Anglo-Canadian author (d. 2004)
- 1920Rafique Zakaria, Indian author (d. 2005)
- 1922Tom Finney, English footballer
- 1933Frank Gorshin, American actor (d. 2005)
- 1936John Kelly, Irish republican politician (d. 2007)
- 1938Colin Bland, South African cricketer
- 1943Max Gail, American actor
- 1982Hayley Atwell, English actress
- 1983Jorge Andrés Martínez, Uruguayan footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.