April 5: Day of the Week
April 5, 2017 was the 95th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 270 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1242During a battle on the ice of Lake Peipus, Russian forces, led by Alexander Nevsky, rebuff an invasion attempt by the Teutonic Knights.
- 1792U.S. President George Washington exercises his authority to veto a bill, the first time this power is used in the United States.
- 1874Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park, is opened in Birkenhead.
- 1900Archaeologists in Knossos, Crete, discover a large cache of clay tablets with hieroglyphic writing in a script they call Linear B.
- 1932Alcohol prohibition in Finland ends. Alcohol sales begin in Alko liquor stores.
- 1955Winston Churchill resigns as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom amid indications of failing health.
- 1958Ripple Rock, an underwater threat to navigation in the Seymour Narrows in Canada is destroyed in one of the largest non-nuclear controlled explosions of the time.
- 1971In Sri Lanka, Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna launches insurrection against the United Front government of Sirimavo Bandaranaike.
- 1991An ASA EMB 120 crashes in Brunswick, Georgia, killing all 23 aboard.
- 1998In Japan, the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge linking Shikoku with Honshū and costing about $3.8 billion USD, opens to traffic, becoming the largest suspension bridge in the world.
Who were born on April 5?
- 1288Emperor Go-Fushimi of Japan (d. 1336)
- 1649Elihu Yale, American benefactor of Yale University (d. 1721)
- 1784Louis Spohr, German composer and violinist (d. 1859)
- 1869Albert Roussel, French composer (d. 1937)
- 1917Robert Bloch, American author (d. 1994)
- 1937Allan R. Thieme, American inventor
- 1946Björn Granath, Swedish actor
- 1972Yasuhiro Takemoto, Japanese animator and director
- 1983Jorge Andrés Martínez, Uruguayan footballer
- 1990Haruma Miura, Japanese actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.