August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2016 is the 236th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 79Mount Vesuvius begins stirring, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.
- 1514Battle of Chaldiran ended with a decisive victory for the Sultan Selim I, Ottoman Empire, over the Shah Ismail I, Safavids founder.
- 1650Colonel George Monck of the English Army forms Monck’s Regiment of Foot, which will later become the Coldstream Guards.
- 1765Beginning of Burmese–Siamese War (1765–1767)
- 1775King George III declares that the American colonies exist in a state of open and avowed rebellion.
- 1839The United Kingdom captures Hong Kong as a base as it prepares for war with Qing China. The ensuing 3-year conflict will later be known as the First Opium War.
- 1939World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.
- 1966Lunar Orbiter 1 takes the first photograph of Earth from orbit around the Moon.
- 1990Saddam Hussein appears on Iraqi state television with a number of Western “guests” (actually hostages) to try to prevent the Gulf War.
- 1990West Germany and East Germany announce that they will unite on October 3.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1836Marie Henriette of Austria, Queen of the Belgians (d. 1902)
- 1849William Ernest Henley, British poet, critic, and editor (d. 1903)
- 1852Arnold Toynbee, English economist and social reformer (d. 1883)
- 1903William Primrose, Scottish violist (d. 1982)
- 1923Edgar F. Codd, English computer scientist (d. 2003)
- 1949Rick Springfield, Australian singer and actor
- 1965Roger Avary, Canadian screenwriter, director, and producer
- 1967Richard Petrie, New Zealand cricketer
- 1975Sean Marks, New Zealander-born basketball player
- 1979Ritchie Neville, British musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.