August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2015 was the 235th day of the year 2015 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1328Battle of Cassel: French troops stop an uprising of Flemish farmers.
- 1784Western North Carolina (now eastern Tennessee) declares itself an independent state under the name of Franklin; it wasn’t accepted into the United States, and only lasted for four years.
- 1799Napoleon leaves Egypt for France en route to seize power.
- 1866Austro-Prussian War ends with the Treaty of Prague.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1904The automobile tire chain is patented.
- 1914World War I: the Battle of Mons; the British Army begins withdrawal.
- 1982Bachir Gemayel is elected Lebanese President amidst the raging civil war.
- 19891,645 Australian domestic airline pilots resign after the airlines threaten to fire them and sue them over a dispute.
- 1990West Germany and East Germany announce that they will unite on October 3.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1741Jean-François de Galaup, comte de La Pérouse, French explorer (d. 1788)
- 1829Moritz Cantor, German mathematician (d. 1920)
- 1905Constant Lambert, British composer (d. 1951)
- 1942Letta Mbulu, Southafrican singer.
- 1948Andrei Pleşu, Romanian writer, essayist
- 1963Hans-Henning Fastrich, German field hockey player
- 1963Kenny Wallace, American race car driver
- 1974Ray Park, Scottish actor
- 1981Stephan Loboué, Ivorian footballer
- 1988Jeremy Lin, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.