August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2017 is the 235th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1305Sir William Wallace is executed for High Treason at Smithfield in London.
- 1813At the Battle of Grossbeeren, the Prussians under Von Bülow repulse the French army.
- 1864The Union Navy captures Fort Morgan, Alabama, thus breaking Confederate dominance of all ports on the Gulf of Mexico.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1904The automobile tire chain is patented.
- 1942World War II: Beginning of the Battle of Stalingrad.
- 1943World War II: Kharkov liberated as a result of the Battle of Kursk.
- 1973A bank robbery gone wrong in Stockholm, Sweden, turns into a hostage crisis; over the next five days the hostages begin to sympathise with their captors, leading to the term “Stockholm syndrome”.
- 1990Armenia declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1994Eugene Bullard, The only black pilot in World War I, is posthumously commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1524François Hotman, French lawyer and writer (d. 1590)
- 1805Anton von Schmerling, Austrian statesman (d. 1893)
- 1852Arnold Toynbee, English economist and social reformer (d. 1883)
- 1875William Eccles, English radio pioneer (d. 1966)
- 1901John Sherman Cooper, American politician (d. 1991)
- 1911Birger Ruud, Norwegian ski-jumper (d. 1998)
- 1912Gene Kelly, American dancer and actor (d. 1996)
- 1928Marian Seldes, American actress
- 1930Michel Rocard, French politician
- 1945Rayfield Wright, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.