August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2017 is the 235th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1541French explorer Jacques Cartier lands near Quebec City in his third voyage to Canada.
- 1813At the Battle of Grossbeeren, the Prussians under Von Bülow repulse the French army.
- 1839The United Kingdom captures Hong Kong as a base as it prepares for war with Qing China. The ensuing 3-year conflict will later be known as the First Opium War.
- 1858The Round Oak rail accident occurs in Brierley Hill in the Black Country, England. It is 'Arguably the worst disaster ever to occur on British railways'.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1914World War I: Japan declares war on Germany and bombs Qingdao, China.
- 1948World Council of Churches is formed.
- 1954First flight of the C-130 Hercules transport aircraft.
- 1982Bachir Gemayel is elected Lebanese President amidst the raging civil war.
- 1990West Germany and East Germany announce that they will unite on October 3.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1623Stanisław Lubieniecki, Polish Socinian theologist (d. 1675)
- 1741Jean-François de Galaup, comte de La Pérouse, French explorer (d. 1788)
- 1785Oliver Hazard Perry, American naval officer (d. 1819)
- 1956Skipp Sudduth, American actor
- 1961Gary Mabbutt, English footballer
- 1964Johan Bruyneel, Belgian cyclist
- 1972Martin Grainger, English footballer
- 1974Ray Park, Scottish actor
- 1979Ritchie Neville, British musician
- 1982Natalie Coughlin, American swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.