August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2016 is the 236th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1328Battle of Cassel: French troops stop an uprising of Flemish farmers.
- 1555Calvinists are granted rights in the Netherlands.
- 1572Mob violence against Huguenots in Paris – St. Bartholomew’s Day massacre.
- 1708Meidingnu Pamheiba is crowned King of Manipur.
- 1873Albert Bridge in Chelsea, London opened.
- 1944World War II: Marseille liberated.
- 1948World Council of Churches is formed.
- 1966Lunar Orbiter 1 takes the first photograph of Earth from orbit around the Moon.
- 1982Bachir Gemayel is elected Lebanese President amidst the raging civil war.
- 1985Hans Tiedge, top counter-spy of West Germany, defects to East Germany.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1524François Hotman, French lawyer and writer (d. 1590)
- 1875William Eccles, English radio pioneer (d. 1966)
- 1919Vladimir Rokhlin, Soviet mathematician (d. 1984)
- 1924Ephraim Kishon, Israeli writer (d. 2005)
- 1930Michel Rocard, French politician
- 1951Jimi Jamison, American singer (Survivor)
- 1961Dean DeLeo, American musician (Stone Temple Pilots)
- 1971BoneCrusher, American rapper
- 1979Jessica Bibby, Australian basketball player
- 1982Natalie Coughlin, American swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.