August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2016 was the 236th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1305Sir William Wallace is executed for High Treason at Smithfield in London.
- 1921British airship R-38 experiences structural failure over Hull in England and crashes in the Humber estuary. Of her 49 British and American training crew, only 4 survive.
- 1939World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.
- 1944Freckleton Air Disaster – A United States Army Air Forces B-24 Liberator bomber crashes into a school in Freckleton, England killing 61 people.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1977The Gossamer Condor wins the Kremer prize for human powered flight.
- 1982Bachir Gemayel is elected Lebanese President amidst the raging civil war.
- 1990West Germany and East Germany announce that they will unite on October 3.
- 2000Gulf Air Flight 072 crashes into the Persian Gulf near Manama, Bahrain, killing 143.
- 2007The skeletal remains of Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia, and his sister Anastasia are found near Yekaterinburg, Russia.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1724Abraham Yates, American Continental Congressman (d. 1796)
- 1849William Ernest Henley, British poet, critic, and editor (d. 1903)
- 1877István Medgyaszay, Hungarian architect and writer (d. 1959)
- 1921Kenneth Arrow, American economist, Bank of Sweden Prize winner
- 1922Jean Darling, American child actress
- 1925Robert Mulligan, American film director (d. 2008)
- 1953Bobby G, British singer (Bucks Fizz)
- 1967Richard Petrie, New Zealand cricketer
- 1971BoneCrusher, American rapper
- 1972Mark Butcher, England cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.