August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2016 is the 236th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1595Michael the Brave confronts the Ottoman army in the Battle of Calugareni.
- 1858The Round Oak rail accident occurs in Brierley Hill in the Black Country, England. It is 'Arguably the worst disaster ever to occur on British railways'.
- 1866Austro-Prussian War ends with the Treaty of Prague.
- 1942World War II: Beginning of the Battle of Stalingrad.
- 1944World War II: Marseille liberated.
- 1946Ordinance No. 46 of the British Military Government constitutes the German Land (state) of Schleswig-Holstein.
- 1966Lunar Orbiter 1 takes the first photograph of Earth from orbit around the Moon.
- 1989Singing Revolution: two million people from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand on the Vilnius-Tallinn road, holding hands (Baltic Way).
- 2000Gulf Air Flight 072 crashes into the Persian Gulf near Manama, Bahrain, killing 143.
- 2011A 5.8 earthquake occurred in Mineral, Virginia, the earthquake was felt as far north as Ontario and as far south as Atlanta, Georgia. Damaged occurred to monuments in Washington D.C. and the resulted damage was estimated at $100 Million.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1623Stanisław Lubieniecki, Polish Socinian theologist (d. 1675)
- 1843William Southam, Canadian newspaper publisher (d. 1932)
- 1942Letta Mbulu, Southafrican singer.
- 1945Rayfield Wright, American football player
- 1951Jimi Jamison, American singer (Survivor)
- 1964Kong Hee, Singaporean pastor
- 1964Yoshikazu Taru, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1972Raul Casanova, Puerto Rican baseball player
- 1979Ritchie Neville, British musician
- 1981Ozzy Lusth, American “Survivor” contestant
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.