August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2017 is the 235th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1765Beginning of Burmese–Siamese War (1765–1767)
- 1775King George III declares that the American colonies exist in a state of open and avowed rebellion.
- 1914World War I: Japan declares war on Germany and bombs Qingdao, China.
- 1921British airship R-38 experiences structural failure over Hull in England and crashes in the Humber estuary. Of her 49 British and American training crew, only 4 survive.
- 1939World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.
- 1944World War II: Marseille liberated.
- 1948World Council of Churches is formed.
- 1966Lunar Orbiter 1 takes the first photograph of Earth from orbit around the Moon.
- 1973A bank robbery gone wrong in Stockholm, Sweden, turns into a hostage crisis; over the next five days the hostages begin to sympathise with their captors, leading to the term “Stockholm syndrome”.
- 1989Singing Revolution: two million people from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand on the Vilnius-Tallinn road, holding hands (Baltic Way).
Who were born on August 23?
- 1852Clímaco Calderón, President of Colombia. (d. 1913)
- 1875William Eccles, English radio pioneer (d. 1966)
- 1900Louise Nevelson, American sculptor (d. 1988)
- 1917Tex Williams, American singer (d. 1985)
- 1948Daniel Ruettiger, American motivational speaker
- 1960Rodney Alan Greenblat, American graphic artist
- 1974Shifty Shellshock, American musician (Crazy Town)
- 1976Pat Garrity, American basketball player
- 1977Douglas Sequeira, Costa Rican footballer
- 1987Danny Page, Australian basketball coach
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.