August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2017 is the 235th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 79Mount Vesuvius begins stirring, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.
- 1305Sir William Wallace is executed for High Treason at Smithfield in London.
- 1572Mob violence against Huguenots in Paris – St. Bartholomew’s Day massacre.
- 1595Michael the Brave confronts the Ottoman army in the Battle of Calugareni.
- 1904The automobile tire chain is patented.
- 1944World War II: Marseille liberated.
- 1958Chinese Civil War: The Second Taiwan Strait crisis begins with the People’s Liberation Army’s bombardment of Quemoy.
- 1994Eugene Bullard, The only black pilot in World War I, is posthumously commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
- 2006Natascha Kampusch, who had been abducted at the age of 10, managed to escape from her captor Wolfgang Priklopil, after 8 years of captivity.
- 2011A 5.8 earthquake occurred in Mineral, Virginia, the earthquake was felt as far north as Ontario and as far south as Atlanta, Georgia. Damaged occurred to monuments in Washington D.C. and the resulted damage was estimated at $100 Million.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1875William Eccles, English radio pioneer (d. 1966)
- 1910Lonny Frey, American baseball player (d. 2009)
- 1911Birger Ruud, Norwegian ski-jumper (d. 1998)
- 1926Gyula Hernádi, Hungarian writer and screenwriter (d. 2005)
- 1971BoneCrusher, American rapper
- 1974Ray Park, Scottish actor
- 1979Edgar Sosa, Mexican boxer
- 1981Ozzy Lusth, American “Survivor” contestant
- 1986Neil Cicierega, American cartoonist and musician
- 1989Heiko Schwarz, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.