August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2016 was the 236th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1328Battle of Cassel: French troops stop an uprising of Flemish farmers.
- 1595Michael the Brave confronts the Ottoman army in the Battle of Calugareni.
- 1866Austro-Prussian War ends with the Treaty of Prague.
- 1873Albert Bridge in Chelsea, London opened.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1929Hebron Massacre during the 1929 Palestine riots: Arab attack on the Jewish community in Hebron in the British Mandate of Palestine, continuing until the next day, resulted in the death of 65-68 Jews and the remaining Jews being forced to leave the city.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1977The Gossamer Condor wins the Kremer prize for human powered flight.
- 1985Hans Tiedge, top counter-spy of West Germany, defects to East Germany.
- 1989Singing Revolution: two million people from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand on the Vilnius-Tallinn road, holding hands (Baltic Way).
Who were born on August 23?
- 1783William Tierney Clark, English civil engineer (d. 1852)
- 1925Robert Mulligan, American film director (d. 2008)
- 1934Barbara Eden, American actress and singer
- 1947David Robb, British actor
- 1963Park Chan-wook, Korean director and screenwriter
- 1964Kong Hee, Singaporean pastor
- 1969Keith Tyson, English artist
- 1974Mark Bellhorn, American baseball player
- 1980Denny Bautista, Dominican baseball player
- 1980Diamondog, Angolan rapper
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.