August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2016 was the 236th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1572Mob violence against Huguenots in Paris – St. Bartholomew’s Day massacre.
- 1799Napoleon leaves Egypt for France en route to seize power.
- 1873Albert Bridge in Chelsea, London opened.
- 1929Hebron Massacre during the 1929 Palestine riots: Arab attack on the Jewish community in Hebron in the British Mandate of Palestine, continuing until the next day, resulted in the death of 65-68 Jews and the remaining Jews being forced to leave the city.
- 1938English cricketer Len Hutton sets a world record for the highest individual Test innings of 364, during a Test match against Australia.
- 1942World War II: Beginning of the Battle of Stalingrad.
- 1948World Council of Churches is formed.
- 1982Bachir Gemayel is elected Lebanese President amidst the raging civil war.
- 1996Osama bin Laden issues message entitled 'A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.'
- 2010Manila hostage crisis, in which 8 hostages were killed
Who were born on August 23?
- 1524François Hotman, French lawyer and writer (d. 1590)
- 1849William Ernest Henley, British poet, critic, and editor (d. 1903)
- 1884Ogden L. Mills, American Secretary of the Treasury (d. 1937)
- 1900Malvina Reynolds, American folk singer/songwriter (d. 1978)
- 1923Edgar F. Codd, English computer scientist (d. 2003)
- 1925Robert Mulligan, American film director (d. 2008)
- 1926Gyula Hernádi, Hungarian writer and screenwriter (d. 2005)
- 1933Pete Wilson, American politician
- 1963Richard Illingworth, England cricketer
- 1976Pat Garrity, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.