December 16: Day of the Week
December 16, 2017 is the 350th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 15 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
December 16 Historical Event(s)
- 755An Lushan revolts against Chancellor Yang Guozhong at Fanyang, initiating the An Shi Rebellion during the Tang Dynasty of China.
- 1431Henry VI of England is crowned King of France at Notre Dame in Paris.
- 1497Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope, the point where Bartolomeu Dias had previously turned back to Portugal.
- 1811The first two in a series of four severe earthquakes occur in the vicinity of New Madrid, Missouri. These four so-called mega-quakes are believed to be an ongoing cataclysmic danger that could reprise the 1811-12 series of 2,000 quakes that affected the lands of what would be eight of today’s heartland states of the United States.
- 1863American Civil War: Joseph E. Johnston replaces Braxton Bragg as commander of the Army of Tennessee.
- 1920The Haiyuan earthquake, magnitude 8.5, rocks the Gansu province in China, killing an estimated 200,000.
- 1930Bank robber Herman Lamm and members of his crew are killed by a posse of 200, following a botched bank robbery in Clinton, Indiana.
- 1941World War II: Japanese forces occupy Miri, Sarawak
- 1971Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971: The surrender of the Pakistan army brings an end to both conflicts.
- 1972Vijay Diwas: (Victory Day) is commemorated every 16 December in India as it marks its military victory over Pakistan in 1971 during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
Who were born on December 16?
- 1742Gebhard Fürst Blücher von Wahlstatt, German Field Marshal (d. 1819)
- 1775François-Adrien Boïeldieu, French composer (d. 1834)
- 1869Hristo Tatarchev, Bulgarian revolutionary (d. 1952)
- 1901Margaret Mead, American anthropologist (d. 1978)
- 1939Philip Langridge, English opera singer (d. 2010)
- 1944N!xau, Namibian actor and bush farmer (d. 2003)
- 1946Trevor Pinnock, English conductor and harpsichordist
- 1948Christopher Biggins, English actor
- 1962Melanie Smith, American actress
- 1963Benjamin Bratt, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.