December 16: Day of the Week
December 16, 2017 is the 350th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 15 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
December 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1575The 1575 Valdivia earthquake takes place.
- 1689Convention Parliament: The Declaration of Right is embodied in the Bill of Rights.
- 1761Seven Years’ War: After a four-month siege, the Russians under Pyotr Rumyantsev take the Prussian fortress of Kolobrzeg.
- 1773American Revolution: Boston Tea Party – Members of the Sons of Liberty disguised as Mohawks dump crates of tea into Boston harbor as a protest against the Tea Act.
- 1863American Civil War: Joseph E. Johnston replaces Braxton Bragg as commander of the Army of Tennessee.
- 1907The Great White Fleet begins its circumnavigation of the world
- 1944World War II: The Battle of the Bulge begins with the surprise offensive of three German armies through the Ardennes forest.
- 1946Thailand joins the United Nations.
- 1971Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971: The surrender of the Pakistan army brings an end to both conflicts.
- 1989Protests break out in Timişoara in response to an attempt by the government to evict dissident Hungarian pastor László Tőkés.
Who were born on December 16?
- 1883Károly Kós, Hungarian architect, writer and politician from Transylvania (d. 1977)
- 1899Sir Noel Coward, English playwright, actor and composer (d. 1973)
- 1917Ruth Johnson Colvin, Founder of Literacy Volunteers of America
- 1939Philip Langridge, English opera singer (d. 2010)
- 1941Lesley Stahl, American journalist
- 1945Bobby George, English professional darts player
- 1947Vincent Matthews, American sprinter
- 1982Stanislav Šesták, Slovakian footballer
- 1985Amanda Setton, American actor
- 1986Candice Crawford, American beauty queen and sports reporter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.