February 15: Day of the Week
February 15, 2017 was the 46th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 319 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1764The city of St. Louis, Missouri is established.
- 1862American Civil War: General Ulysses S. Grant attacks Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- 1942New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1942World War II: The Fall of Singapore. Following an assault by Japanese forces, the British General Arthur Percival surrenders. About 80,000 Indian, United Kingdom and Australian soldiers become prisoners of war, the largest surrender of British-led military personnel in history. The Sook Ching massacre begins.
- 1949Gerald Lankester Harding and Roland de Vaux begin excavations at Cave 1 of the Qumran Caves, where they will eventually discover the first seven Dead Sea Scrolls.
- 1965A new red-and-white maple leaf design is adopted as the flag of Canada, replacing the old Canadian Red Ensign banner.
- 1979Don Dunstan resigns as Premier of South Australia, ending a decade of sweeping social liberalisation.
- 1982The drilling rig Ocean Ranger sinks during a storm off the coast of Newfoundland, killing 84 workers.
- 1989Soviet Union invasion of Afghanistan: The Soviet Union officially announces that all of its troops have left Afghanistan.
- 1991The Visegrád Agreement, establishing cooperation to move toward free-market systems, is signed by the leaders of Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Poland.
Who were born on February 15?
- 1825Carter Harrison, Sr., American politician (d. 1893)
- 1874Sir Ernest Shackleton, Irish Antarctic explorer (d. 1922)
- 1896Arthur Shields, Irish actor (d. 1970)
- 1914Kevin McCarthy, American actor (d. 2010)
- 1937Gregory Mcdonald, American author (d. 2008)
- 1939Gerd Bohnsack, German football manager
- 1951Melissa Manchester, American singer
- 1955Janice Dickinson, American Ex-Supermodel
- 1971Renée O'Connor, American actress and director
- 1974Gina Lynn, American porn actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.