February 28: Day of the Week
February 28, 2016 was the 59th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 307 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1784John Wesley charters the Methodist Church.
- 1838Robert Nelson, leader of the Patriotes, proclaims the independence of Lower Canada (today Quebec)
- 1849Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins with the arrival of the SS California in San Francisco Bay, 4 months 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
- 1870The Bulgarian Exarchate is established by decree of Sultan Abd-ul-Aziz of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1893The USS Indiana, the lead ship of her class and the first battleship in the United States Navy comparable to foreign battleships of the time, is launched.
- 1939The erroneous word “dord” is discovered in the Webster’s New International Dictionary, Second Edition, prompting an investigation.
- 1942The heavy cruiser USS Houston is sunk in the Battle of Sunda Strait with 693 crew members killed, along with HMAS Perth which lost 375 men.
- 1980Andalusia approves its statute of autonomy through a referendum.
- 1997GRB 970228, a highly luminous flash of gamma rays, strikes the Earth for 80 seconds, providing early evidence that gamma-ray bursts occur well beyond the Milky Way.
- 2001The Nisqually Earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter Scale hits the Nisqually Valley and the Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia area of the U.S. state of Washington.
Who were born on February 28?
- 1838Maurice Lévy, French engineer (d. 1910)
- 1894Ben Hecht, American playwright (d. 1964)
- 1896Philip Showalter Hench, American physician, Nobel laureate (d. 1965)
- 1908Billie Bird, American actress (d. 2002)
- 1918Alfred Burke, British actor (d. 2011)
- 1931Gavin MacLeod, American actor
- 1942Brian Jones, English musician (The Rolling Stones) (d. 1969)
- 1948Steven Chu, American physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1958Jeanne Mas, French singer and actress
- 1989Jason Pierre-Paul, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.