February 28: Day of the Week
February 28, 2016 was the 59th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 307 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1638The Scottish National Covenant is signed in Edinburgh.
- 1849Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins with the arrival of the SS California in San Francisco Bay, 4 months 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
- 1914The Autonomous Republic of Northern Epirus is proclaimed in Gjirokastër, by the Greeks living in southern Albania.
- 1928C.V. Raman discovers Raman effect.
- 1935DuPont scientist Wallace Carothers invents nylon.
- 1954The first color television sets using the NTSC standard are offered for sale to the general public.
- 1958A school bus in Floyd County, Kentucky hits a wrecker truck and plunges down an embankment into the rain-swollen Levisa Fork River. The driver and 26 children die in what remains the worst school bus accident in U.S. history.
- 1997The North Hollywood shootout takes place, resulting in the injury of 19 people and the deaths of both perpetrators.
- 1998Kosovo War: Serbian police begin the offensive against the Kosovo Liberation Army in Kosovo.
- 2001The Nisqually Earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter Scale hits the Nisqually Valley and the Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia area of the U.S. state of Washington.
Who were born on February 28?
- 1261Margaret of Scotland, queen of Norway (d. 1283)
- 1812Berthold Auerbach, German poet and author (d. 1882)
- 1820John Tenniel, English illustrator (d. 1914)
- 1894Ben Hecht, American playwright (d. 1964)
- 1956Mike Tenay, American wrestling commentator
- 1958Jack Abramoff, American businessman, political figure and convict
- 1961Rae Dawn Chong, Canadian actress
- 1963Claudio Chiappucci, Italian cyclist
- 1978Benjamin Raich, Austrian skier
- 1981Brian Bannister, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.