February 28: Day of the Week
February 28, 2017 was the 59th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 306 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1811Cry of Asencio, begin of the Uruguayan War of Independence
- 1838Robert Nelson, leader of the Patriotes, proclaims the independence of Lower Canada (today Quebec)
- 1885The American Telephone and Telegraph Company is incorporated in New York State as the subsidiary of American Bell Telephone. (American Bell would later merge with its subsidiary.)
- 1933Gleichschaltung: The Reichstag Fire Decree is passed in Germany a day after the Reichstag fire.
- 1939The erroneous word “dord” is discovered in the Webster’s New International Dictionary, Second Edition, prompting an investigation.
- 1986Olof Palme, Prime Minister of Sweden, is assassinated in Stockholm.
- 1993Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents raid the Branch Davidian church in Waco, Texas with a warrant to arrest the group’s leader David Koresh. Four BATF agents and five Davidians die in the initial raid, starting a 51-day standoff.
- 1998Kosovo War: Serbian police begin the offensive against the Kosovo Liberation Army in Kosovo.
- 2001Six passengers and four railway staff are killed and a further 82 people suffer serious injuries in the Selby rail crash.
- 2005A suicide bombing at a police recruiting centre in Al Hillah, Iraq kills 127.
Who were born on February 28?
- 1893Ivan Vasilyov, Bulgarian architect (d. 1979)
- 1911Otakar Vávra, Czech film director
- 1916Cesar Climaco, Filipino politician (d. 1984)
- 1932Don Francks, Canadian actor
- 1944Win Aung, Burmese politician
- 1957Paul Delph, American musician and producer (d. 1996)
- 1961René Simard, Canadian singer and TV host
- 1970Daniel Handler, American writer
- 1980Lucian Bute, Romanian-born Canadian boxer
- 1988Aroldis Chapman, Cuban baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.