February 6: Day of the Week
February 6, 2016 was the 37th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 329 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1685James II of England and VII of Scotland becomes King upon the death of his brother Charles II.
- 1788Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 1819Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles founds Singapore.
- 1833Otto becomes the first modern King of Greece.
- 1862American Civil War: The U.S. Navy gives the Union its first victory of the war, capturing Fort Henry, Tennesseein the Battle of Fort Henry.
- 191430 000 Swedish peasants from all over the country, who have travelled to Stockholm, carry out a huge protest march, which will be known as Bondetåget, to the Royal Palace in Stockholm, to show their support for King Gustaf V and his attempts to exercise personal power as a monarch. In the court yard, the king holds the so-called Court yard speech (Swedish Borggårdstalet, which crown prince Gustaf Adolf recites outside the castle to those, who do not get room at the court yard), where the king puts forth his opinion about the Swedish armed defence propagating that it should be strong, contrary to the official policy of Swedish prime minister Karl Staaff and his government of disarmament. This triggers a political crisis (the so-called Courtyard Crisis; Swedish Borggårdskrisen) and despite the fact that 50 000 workers two days later carry out a counter demonstration (the so-called Workers’ march), supporting the government, Karl Staaff is forced to resign on February 17. This is the last time the Swedish monarch tries to exercise any political power and from now on, the Swedish monarchs accept parliamentarism and abstain from claiming any political powers, even if they are not formally abolished until 1975, when the new Swedish instrument of government comes into effect.
- 1918British women over the age of 30 get the right to vote.
- 1933The 20th Amendment to the United States Constitution, establishing the beginning and ending of the terms of the elected federal offices, goes into effect.
- 1989The Round Table Talks start in Poland, thus marking the beginning of overthrow of communism in Eastern Europe.
- 2027New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 6?
- 1757Julian Ursyn Niemcewicz, Polish scholar and statesman. (d. 1841)
- 1799Imre Frivaldszky, Hungarian botanist and entomologist (d. 1870)
- 1800Achille Devéria, French painter and lithographer (d. 1857)
- 1880Nishinoumi Kajirō II, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 25th Yokozuna (d. 1931)
- 1883Dmitry Pavlovich Grigorovich, Russian aircraft designer (d. 1938)
- 1894Eric Partridge, New Zealand lexicographer (d. 1979)
- 1923Gyula Lóránt, Hungarian football player and manager (d. 1981)
- 1939Mike Farrell, American actor
- 1968Adolfo Valencia, Colombian footballer
- 1984Antoine Wright, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.