February 6: Day of the Week
February 6, 2016 was the 37th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 329 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1649The claimant King Charles II of England and Scotland is declared King of Great Britain, by the Parliament of Scotland. This move was not followed by the Parliament of England nor the Parliament of Ireland.
- 1788Massachusetts becomes the sixth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 1820The first 86 African American immigrants sponsored by the American Colonization Society started a settlement in present-day Liberia.
- 1840Signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, establishing New Zealand as a British colony.
- 191430 000 Swedish peasants from all over the country, who have travelled to Stockholm, carry out a huge protest march, which will be known as Bondetåget, to the Royal Palace in Stockholm, to show their support for King Gustaf V and his attempts to exercise personal power as a monarch. In the court yard, the king holds the so-called Court yard speech (Swedish Borggårdstalet, which crown prince Gustaf Adolf recites outside the castle to those, who do not get room at the court yard), where the king puts forth his opinion about the Swedish armed defence propagating that it should be strong, contrary to the official policy of Swedish prime minister Karl Staaff and his government of disarmament. This triggers a political crisis (the so-called Courtyard Crisis; Swedish Borggårdskrisen) and despite the fact that 50 000 workers two days later carry out a counter demonstration (the so-called Workers’ march), supporting the government, Karl Staaff is forced to resign on February 17. This is the last time the Swedish monarch tries to exercise any political power and from now on, the Swedish monarchs accept parliamentarism and abstain from claiming any political powers, even if they are not formally abolished until 1975, when the new Swedish instrument of government comes into effect.
- 1934Far right leagues rally in front of the Palais Bourbon in an attempted coup against the French Third Republic, creating a political crisis in France.
- 1942World War II: The United Kingdom declares war on Thailand.
- 1951New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1959Jack Kilby of Texas Instruments files the first patent for an integrated circuit.
- 1981The National Resistance Army of Uganda launches an attack on a Ugandan Army installation in the central Mubende District to begin the Ugandan Bush War.
Who were born on February 6?
- 1461Džore Držić, Croatian poet and playwright (d. 1501)
- 1829Joseph Auguste Émile Vaudremer, French architect (d. 1914)
- 1852Vasily Safonov, Russian pianist, teacher, conductor and composer (d. 1918)
- 1892Maximilian Fretter-Pico, German general (d. 1984)
- 1914Thurl Ravenscroft, American voice actor (d. 2005)
- 1966Rick Astley, British singer
- 1971Carlos Rogers, American basketball player
- 1975Tomoko Kawase, Japanese singer
- 1980Luke Ravenstahl, American politician
- 1989Craig Cathcart, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.