January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2017 is the 22nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1521Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, opens the Diet of Worms.
- 1890The United Mine Workers of America is founded in Columbus, Ohio.
- 1899Leaders of six Australian colonies meet in Melbourne to discuss confederation.
- 1909New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1924Ramsay MacDonald becomes the first Labour Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1927First live radio commentary of a football match anywhere in the world, between Arsenal F.C. and Sheffield United at Highbury.
- 1957Israel withdraws from the Sinai Peninsula.
- 1968Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- 1973The Supreme Court of the United States delivers its decision in Roe v. Wade, legalizing elective abortion in all fifty states.
- 2006Evo Morales is inaugurated as President of Bolivia, becoming the country’s first indigenous president.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1874Edward Harkness, American philanthropist (d. 1940)
- 1882Theodore Kosloff, Russian-born actor, ballet dancer and choreographer (d. 1956)
- 1913Carl F. H. Henry, American theologian and publisher (d. 2003)
- 1942Mimis Domazos, Greek footballer
- 1960Michael Hutchence, Australian singer (INXS) (d. 1997)
- 1963Andrei Tchmil, Ukrainian-Belgian cyclist
- 1967Eleanor McEvoy, Irish singer and songwriter
- 1968Heath, Japanese bass guitarist (X Japan)
- 1971Stan Collymore, English footballer
- 1985Orianthi Panagaris, Australian guitarist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.