January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2017 was the 22nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1689The Convention Parliament convenes to determine if James II, the last Roman Catholic king of England, had vacated the throne when he fled to France in 1688.
- 1824The Ashantis defeat British forces in the Gold Coast.
- 1877Arthur Tooth, an Anglican clergyman is taken into custody after being prosecuted for using ritualist practices.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Rorke’s Drift – 139 British soldiers successfully defend their garrison against an intense assault by four to five thousand Zulu warriors.
- 1924Ramsay MacDonald becomes the first Labour Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1947New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Pig in Chinese astrology.
- 1968Apollo 5 lifts off carrying the first Lunar module into space.
- 1990Robert Tappan Morris, Jr. is convicted of releasing the 1988 Internet Computer worm.
- 1995Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Beit Lid massacre – In central Israel, near Netanya, two suicide bombers from the Gaza Strip blow themselves up at a military transit point killing 19 Israelis.
- 1999Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons are burned alive by radical Hindus while sleeping in their car in Eastern India.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1797Maria Leopoldina of Austria, Empress of Brazil (d. 1826)
- 1880Bill O'Neill, American baseball player (d. 1920)
- 1902Daniel Kinsey, American hurdler (d. 1970)
- 1907Douglas Corrigan, American pilot (d. 1995)
- 1958Nikos Anastopoulos, Greek football player and manager
- 1968Mauricio Serna, Colombian footballer
- 1977Mario Domm, Mexican singer-songwriter
- 1980Jonathan Woodgate, English footballer
- 1985Orianthi Panagaris, Australian guitarist
- 1986Lee Pa-ni, South Korean model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.