January 22: Day of the Week
January 22, 2017 was the 22nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 343 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1506The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrives at the Vatican.
- 1521Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, opens the Diet of Worms.
- 1879Anglo-Zulu War: Battle of Rorke’s Drift – 139 British soldiers successfully defend their garrison against an intense assault by four to five thousand Zulu warriors.
- 1889Columbia Phonograph is formed in Washington, D.C.
- 1906SS Valencia runs aground on rocks on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, killing more than 130.
- 1944World War II: The Allies commence Operation Shingle, an assault on Anzio, Italy.
- 1947KTLA, the first commercial television station west of the Mississippi River, begins operation in Hollywood, California.
- 1957The New York City “Mad Bomber”, George P. Metesky, is arrested in Waterbury, Connecticut and is charged with planting more than 30 bombs.
- 1992Rebel forces occupy Zaire’s national radio station in Kinshasa and broadcast a demand for the government’s resignation.
- 2004New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 22?
- 1690Nicolas Lancret, French painter (d. 1743)
- 1788George Gordon Byron, 6th Baron Byron (Lord Byron), English poet (d. 1824)
- 1903Robin Milford, British composer (d. 1959)
- 1927Lou Creekmur, American football player (d. 2009)
- 1937Edén Pastora, Nicaraguan rebel leader
- 1942Mimis Domazos, Greek footballer
- 1949Steve Perry, American singer and musician (Journey)
- 1957Francis Wheen, English writer and journalist
- 1975Felipe Giaffone, Brazilian racing driver
- 1981Ibrahima Sonko, French footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.