January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2017 was the 29th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 336 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1834US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a labor dispute.
- 1850Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S. Congress.
- 1918Ukrainian-Soviet War: An armed uprising organized by the Bolsheviks in anticipation of the encroaching Red Army begins at the Kiev Arsenal, which will be put down six days later.
- 1944World War II: Approximately 38 men, women, and children die in the Koniuchy massacre in Poland.
- 1963The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1979Brenda Spencer kills two people and wounds eight at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School shootings.
- 1987New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1989Hungary establishes diplomatic relations with South Korea, making it the first Eastern Bloc nation to do so
- 1991Gulf War: The Battle of Khafji, the first major ground engagement of the war, as well as its deadliest, begins.
- 2005The first direct commercial flights from mainland China (from Guangzhou) to Taiwan since 1949 arrived in Taipei. Shortly afterwards, a China Airlines flight lands in Beijing.
Who were born on January 29?
- 1688Emanuel Swedenborg, Swedish scientist and philosopher (d. 1772)
- 1866Julio Peris Brell, Spanish painter (d. 1944)
- 1913Victor Mature, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1940Katharine Ross, American actress
- 1945Jim Nicholson, Irish politician
- 1950Ann Jillian, American actress
- 1956Jan Jakub Kolski, Wrocław, Poland
- 1967Cyril Suk, Czech tennis player
- 1977Justin Hartley, American actor
- 1978Martin Schmitt, German ski jumper
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.