January 29: Day of the Week
January 29, 2017 was the 29th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 336 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1819Stamford Raffles lands on the island of Singapore.
- 1850Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S. Congress.
- 1861Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- 1863Bear River Massacre.
- 1903New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1943The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- 1944In Bologna, Italy, the Anatomical Theatre of the Archiginnasio is destroyed in an air-raid.
- 1967The “ultimate high” of the hippie era, the Mantra-Rock Dance, takes place in San Francisco and features Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, and Allen Ginsberg.
- 1979Brenda Spencer kills two people and wounds eight at the Grover Cleveland Elementary School shootings.
- 2001Thousands of student protesters in Indonesia storm parliament and demand that President Abdurrahman Wahid resign due to alleged involvement in corruption scandals.
Who were born on January 29?
- 1715Georg Christoph Wagenseil, Austrian composer (d. 1777)
- 1717Jeffrey Amherst, British military leader (d. 1797)
- 1718Paul Rabaut, French Huguenot pastor (d. 1794)
- 1737Thomas Paine, English-born American patriot (d. 1809)
- 1846Karol Olszewski, Polish scientist (d. 1915)
- 1923Paddy Chayefsky, American writer (d. 1981)
- 1957Rino Schreuder, Dutch publisher
- 1970Heather Graham, American actress
- 1973Jason Schmidt, American baseball player
- 1981Álex Ubago, Spanish musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.