January 4: Day of the Week
January 4, 2017 was the 4th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1762Great Britain declares war on Spain and Naples.
- 1847Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- 1854The McDonald Islands are discovered by Captain William McDonald aboard the Samarang.
- 1865The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York, New York.
- 1948Burma gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1965United States President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaims his “Great Society” during his State of the Union address.
- 1976The Reavey and O'Dowd killings take place (part of The Troubles in Northern Ireland, United Kingdom)
- 1989Second Gulf of Sidra incident: a pair of Libyan MiG-23 “Floggers” are shot down by a pair of US Navy F-14 Tomcats during an air-to-air confrontation.
- 1998A massive ice storm hits eastern Canada and the northeastern United States, continuing through January 10 and causing widespread destruction.
- 2006Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel suffers a second, apparently more serious stroke. His authority is transferred to acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
Who were born on January 4?
- 1809Louis Braille, French teacher of the blind and inventor of braille (d. 1852)
- 1891Edward Brooker, Premier of Tasmania (d. 1948)
- 1925Veikko Hakulinen, Finnish cross-country skier (d. 2003)
- 1945Richard R. Schrock, American chemist, Nobel laureate
- 1955Mark Hollis, English musician and composer (Talk Talk)
- 1958Julian Sands, English actor
- 1959Yoshitomo Nara, Japanese pop artist
- 1962Joe Kleine, American basketball player
- 1977Tim Wheeler, Irish singer (Ash)
- 1982Lucie Škrobáková, Czech athlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.