January 4: Day of the Week
January 4, 2017 was the 4th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 4 Historical Event(s)
- 46 BCJulius Caesar defeats Titus Labienus in the Battle of Ruspina.
- 1865The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York, New York.
- 1884The Fabian Society is founded in London.
- 1896Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- 1955The Greek National Radical Union is formed by Konstantinos Karamanlis.
- 1972Rose Heilbron becomes the first female judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London, England, United Kingdom.
- 1976The Reavey and O'Dowd killings take place (part of The Troubles in Northern Ireland, United Kingdom)
- 1987The 1987 Maryland train collision: An Amtrak train en route to Boston, Massachusetts from Washington, D.C., collides with Conrail engines in Chase, Maryland, killing 16 people.
- 1999Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura is sworn in as governor of Minnesota.
- 1999Gunmen open fire on Shiite Muslims worshiping in an Islamabad, Pakistan mosque, killing 16 people and injuring 25.
Who were born on January 4?
- 1735Claude Martin, French then British General (d. 1800)
- 1809Louis Braille, French teacher of the blind and inventor of braille (d. 1852)
- 1916Lionel Newman, American film music composer (d. 1989)
- 1937Dyan Cannon, American actress
- 1940Brian David Josephson, Welsh physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1942John McLaughlin, English jazz guitarist
- 1960Michael Stipe, American singer (R.E.M.)
- 1967Johnny Nelson, English boxer
- 1982Kang Hye-jeong, South Korean actress
- 1982Paulo Ferrari, Argentinian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.