January 4: Day of the Week
January 4, 2017 was the 4th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 4 Historical Event(s)
- 46 BCJulius Caesar defeats Titus Labienus in the Battle of Ruspina.
- 1649English Civil War: The Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial.
- 1896Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- 1912The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Commonwealth by Royal charter.
- 1958Sputnik 1 falls to Earth from its orbit.
- 1965United States President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaims his “Great Society” during his State of the Union address.
- 1974United States President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over materials subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
- 1998Wilaya of Relizane massacres in Algeria: over 170 are killed in three remote villages.
- 2004Mikheil Saakashvili is elected President of Georgia following the November 2003 Rose Revolution.
- 2010The Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building is officially opened.
Who were born on January 4?
- 1892Maria Diaz Cortes, Spanish supercentarian (d. 2009)
- 1895Leroy Grumman, American industrialist (d. 1982)
- 1896André Masson, French artist (d. 1987)
- 1933Ilia II, Catholicos-Patriarch of all Georgia
- 1934Rudolf Schuster, President of Slovakia
- 1940Brian David Josephson, Welsh physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1946Arthur Conley, American singer (d. 2003)
- 1954Tina Knowles, American fashion designer, mother of Beyoncé
- 1959Yoshitomo Nara, Japanese pop artist
- 1988Nabila Jamshed, Indian writer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.