January 4: Day of the Week
January 4, 2017 was the 4th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 4 Historical Event(s)
- 46 BCJulius Caesar defeats Titus Labienus in the Battle of Ruspina.
- 1847Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- 1885The first successful appendectomy is performed by William W. Grant on Mary Gartside.
- 1955The Greek National Radical Union is formed by Konstantinos Karamanlis.
- 1959Luna 1 becomes the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- 1974United States President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over materials subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
- 1998A massive ice storm hits eastern Canada and the northeastern United States, continuing through January 10 and causing widespread destruction.
- 1999Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura is sworn in as governor of Minnesota.
- 2004Spirit, a NASA Mars rover, lands successfully on Mars at 04:35 UTC.
- 2006Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel suffers a second, apparently more serious stroke. His authority is transferred to acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
Who were born on January 4?
- 1848Katsura Taro, Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1913)
- 1916Lionel Newman, American film music composer (d. 1989)
- 1933Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, American author
- 1940Brian David Josephson, Welsh physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1944Charlie Manuel, American baseball player and manager
- 1963Dave Foley, Canadian comedian and actor
- 1964Tom Westman, American reality-show contestant
- 1973Greg de Vries, Canadian hockey player
- 1976Ted Lilly, American baseball player
- 2000Rhiannon Leigh Wryn, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.