January 4: Day of the Week
January 4, 2017 was the 4th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 361 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 4 Historical Event(s)
- 1642King Charles I of England sends soldiers to arrest members of Parliament, commencing England’s slide into civil war.
- 1762Great Britain declares war on Spain and Naples.
- 1896Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- 1912The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Commonwealth by Royal charter.
- 1948Burma gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1976The Reavey and O'Dowd killings take place (part of The Troubles in Northern Ireland, United Kingdom)
- 1998A massive ice storm hits eastern Canada and the northeastern United States, continuing through January 10 and causing widespread destruction.
- 1999Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura is sworn in as governor of Minnesota.
- 2004Spirit, a NASA Mars rover, lands successfully on Mars at 04:35 UTC.
- 2006Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel suffers a second, apparently more serious stroke. His authority is transferred to acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
Who were born on January 4?
- 1905Sterling Holloway, American Character Actor (d. 1992)
- 1916Lionel Newman, American film music composer (d. 1989)
- 1931Adi Lady Lala Mara, First Lady of Fiji (d. 2004)
- 1932Jorge Russek, Mexican actor (d. 1998)
- 1933Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, American author
- 1941George Pan Cosmatos, Greek film director (d. 2005)
- 1957Patty Loveless, American singer
- 1972Charlotte Hudson, British television presenter
- 1982Lucie Škrobáková, Czech athlete
- 1988Nabila Jamshed, Indian writer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.