March 10: Day of the Week
March 10, 2017 was the 69th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 296 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1607Susenyos defeats the combined armies of Yaqob and Abuna Petros II at the Battle of Gol in Gojjam, making him Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1629Charles I of England dissolves the Parliament, beginning the eleven-year period known as the Personal Rule.
- 1830The KNIL also known as the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army is created.
- 1831The French Foreign Legion is established by King Louis-Philippe to support his war in Algeria.
- 1876Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call by saying “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you.”
- 1891Almon Strowger, an undertaker in Topeka, Kansas, patents the Strowger switch, a device which led to the automation of telephone circuit switching.
- 1909By signing the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909, Thailand relinquishes its sovereignty over the Malay states of Kedah, Kelantan, Perlis and Terengganu, which become British protectorates.
- 1966Military Prime Minister of South Vietnam Nguyen Cao Ky sacked rival General Nguyen Chanh Thi, precipitating large-scale civil and military dissension in parts of the nation.
- 1977Rings of Uranus: Astronomers discover rings around Uranus.
- 2005Tung Chee Hwa resigns from his post as the first Chief Executive of Hong Kong after widespread public dissatisfaction of his tenure.
Who were born on March 10?
- 1772Friedrich von Schlegel, German aesthetician (d. 1829)
- 1905Richard Haydn, English actor (d. 1985)
- 1926Višnja Stahuljak, Croatian writer (d. 2011)
- 1938Ieronymos II, Archbishop of Athens
- 1947Bob Greene, American journalist
- 1951Gloria Diaz, Filipina actress, Miss Universe 1969
- 1953Paul Haggis, Canadian film director
- 1964Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex
- 1969Paget Brewster, American actress
- 1977Peter Enckelman, Finnish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.