March 18: Day of the Week
March 18, 2017 was the 77th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 288 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
If the Gregorian calendar is not reformed, the March equinox will fall on this day for the first time in AD 4092.
March 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1241Mongols overwhelm Polish armies in Kraków in the Battle of Chmielnik and plunder the city.
- 1793The first republican state in Germany, the Republic of Mainz, is declared by Andreas Joseph Hofmann.
- 1850American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- 1906Traian Vuia flies a heavier-than-air aircraft for 20 meters at 1 meter altitude.
- 1945World War II: 1,250 American bombers attack Berlin.
- 1965Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
- 1967The supertanker Torrey Canyon runs aground off the Cornish coast.
- 1969The United States begins secretly bombing the Sihanouk Trail in Cambodia, used by communist forces to infiltrate South Vietnam.
- 1996A nightclub fire in Quezon City, Philippines kills 162.
- 1997The tail of a Russian Antonov An-24 charter plane breaks off while en-route to Turkey causing the plane to crash and killing all 50 on board and leading to the grounding of all An-24s.
Who were born on March 18?
- 1603Simon Bradstreet, British colonial magistrate (d. 1693)
- 1701Niclas Sahlgren, Swedish merchant and philanthropist (d. 1776)
- 1780Milos Obrenovic, Serbian noble and nationalist (d. 1860)
- 1893Costante Girardengo, Italian cyclist (d. 1978)
- 1922Fred Shuttlesworth, American civil rights movement figure
- 1935Ole Barndorff-Nielsen, Danish mathematician
- 1962Brian Fisher, American baseball player
- 1978Jan Bulis, Czech ice hockey player
- 1978Jonas Wallerstedt, Swedish footballer
- 1984Rajeev Ram, American tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.