March 19: Day of the Week
March 19, 2017 was the 78th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 287 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
It’s uncommon for the March equinox to fall on this day. The last time it did was in 1796 and the next will be in 2044.
March 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1279A Mongolian victory Battle of Yamen ends the Song Dynasty in China.
- 1853The Taiping reform movement occupies and makes Nanjing its capital until 1864.
- 1861The First Taranaki War ends in New Zealand.
- 1895Auguste and Louis Lumière record their first footage using their newly patented cinematograph.
- 1954Willie Mosconi sets a world record by running 526 consecutive balls without a miss during a straight pool exhibition at East High Billiard Club in Springfield, Ohio. The record still stands today.
- 1982Falklands War: Argentinian forces land on South Georgia Island, precipitating war with the United Kingdom.
- 1987Televangelist Jim Bakker resigns as head of the PTL Club due to a brewing sex scandal; he hands over control to Jerry Falwell.
- 2004A Swedish DC-3 shot down by a Russian MiG-15 in 1952 over the Baltic Sea is finally recovered after years of work. The remains of the three crewmen are left in place, pending further investigations.
- 2004Konginkangas bus disaster: A semi-trailer truck and a bus crash head-on in Äänekoski, Finland. 24 people are killed and 13 injured.
- 2008GRB 080319B: A cosmic burst that is the farthest object visible to the naked eye is briefly observed.
Who were born on March 19?
- 1749Princess Louisa of Great Britain (d. 1768)
- 1888Léon Scieur, Belgian cyclist (d. 1969)
- 1920Paul Hagen, Danish actor (d. 2003)
- 1933Philip Roth, American author
- 1944Sirhan Sirhan, Palestinian-born assassin
- 1953Ricky Wilson, American musician (The B-52's) (d. 1985)
- 1962Iván Calderón, Puerto Rican baseball player (d. 2003)
- 1967Michael Bletsas, Greek engineer, Director of Computing at the MIT Media Lab
- 1971Nadja Auermann, German supermodel
- 1983Ana Rezende, Brazilian film director and musician (CSS)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.