March 31: Day of the Week
March 31, 2017 was the 90th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 275 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1492Queen Isabella of Castille issues the Alhambra decree, ordering her 150,000 Jewish subjects to convert to Christianity or face expulsion.
- 1822The massacre of the population of the Greek island of Chios by soldiers of the Ottoman Empire following an attempted rebellion, depicted by the French artist Eugène Delacroix.
- 1917The United States takes possession of the Danish West Indies after paying $25 million to Denmark, and renames the territory the United States Virgin Islands.
- 1921The Royal Australian Air Force is formed.
- 1930The Motion Pictures Production Code is instituted, imposing strict guidelines on the treatment of sex, crime, religion and violence in film, in the U.S., for the next thirty eight years.
- 1949The Dominion of Newfoundland joins the Canadian Confederation and becomes the 10th Province of Canada.
- 1957Elections to the Territorial Assembly of the French colony Upper Volta are held. After the elections PDU and MDV form a government.
- 1966The Soviet Union launches Luna 10 which later becomes the first space probe to enter orbit around the Moon.
- 1980The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroad operates its final train after being ordered to liquidate its assets because of bankruptcy and debts owed to creditors.
- 1991Georgian independence referendum, 1991: nearly 99 percent of the voters support the country’s independence from the Soviet Union.
Who were born on March 31?
- 1916John H. Wood, Jr., American jurist (d. 1979)
- 1922Richard Kiley, American actor and singer (d. 1999)
- 1928Gordie Howe, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1929Bertram Fields, American lawyer
- 1940Barney Frank, American politician
- 1942Michael Savage, American radio host and political commentator
- 1942Ulla Hoffmann, Swedish politician
- 1959Ali McMordie, Irish bassist (Stiff Little Fingers)
- 1980Dean Clark, English footballer
- 1980Michael Ryder, Canadian ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.