March 31: Day of the Week
March 31, 2017 was the 90th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 275 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1146Bernard of Clairvaux preaches his famous sermon in a field at Vézelay, urging the necessity of a Second Crusade. Louis VII is present, and joins the Crusade.
- 1717A sermon on “The Nature of the Kingdom of Christ” by Benjamin Hoadly, the Bishop of Bangor, provokes the Bangorian Controversy.
- 1877The family with samurai antecedents that responded to the Saigō army in Ōita Nakatsu, rebels.
- 1885The United Kingdom establishes a protectorate over Bechuanaland.
- 1918Daylight saving time goes into effect in the United States for the first time.
- 1930The Motion Pictures Production Code is instituted, imposing strict guidelines on the treatment of sex, crime, religion and violence in film, in the U.S., for the next thirty eight years.
- 1965An Iberia Airlines Convair 440 crashes into the sea on approach to Tangier, killing 47 of 51 occupants.
- 1970Nine terrorists from the Japanese Red Army hijack Japan Airlines Flight 351 at Tokyo International Airport, wielding samurai swords and carrying a bomb.
- 1991The Islamic Constitutional Movement, or Hadas, is established in Kuwait.
- 2004Iraq War in Anbar Province - In Fallujah, Iraq, 4 American private military contractors working for Blackwater USA, are killed after being ambushed.
Who were born on March 31?
- 1872Alexandra Kollontai, Russian statesman (d. 1952)
- 1924Leo Buscaglia, American author (d. 1998)
- 1927César Chávez, American labor activist (d. 1993)
- 1932Nagisa Oshima, Japanese film director
- 1938Bill Hicke, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2005)
- 1948Rhea Perlman, American actress
- 1972Alejandro Amenábar, Spanish film director
- 1977Garth Tander, Australian racing driver
- 1981Ryan Bingham, American singer/songwriter
- 1988Hogan Ephraim, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.