March 5: Day of the Week
March 5, 2017 was the 64th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 301 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1906Moro Rebellion: United States Army troops bring overwhelming force against the native Moros in the First Battle of Bud Dajo, leaving only six survivors.
- 1933Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Party receives 43.9% at the Reichstag elections. This later allows the Nazis to pass the Enabling Act and establish a dictatorship.
- 1946Winston Churchill uses the phrase “Iron Curtain” in his speech at Westminster College, Missouri.
- 1960Alister Hardy publicly announces his idea that ape-human divergence may have been due to a coastal phase, giving rise to the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis.
- 1970The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty goes into effect after ratification by 43 nations.
- 1974Yom Kippur War: Israeli forces withdraw from the west bank of the Suez Canal.
- 1975First meeting of the Homebrew Computer Club
- 1979Soviet probes Venera 11, Venera 12 and the American solar satellite Helios II all are hit by “off the scale” gamma rays leading to the discovery of soft gamma repeaters.
- 19846,000 miners in the United Kingdom begin their strike at Cortonwood Colliery.
- 1999Paul Okalik is elected first Premier of Nunavut.
Who were born on March 5?
- 1713Edward Cornwallis, English military officer (d. 1776)
- 1794Jacques Babinet, French physicist (d. 1872)
- 1908Irving Fiske, American writer, playwright, (d. 1990)
- 1914Philip Farkas, American horn player and teacher (d. 1992)
- 1915Laurent Schwartz, French mathematician (d. 2002)
- 1948Eddy Grant, Guyana-born singer
- 1954Barry Lee Fairchild, American convicted murderer (d. 1995)
- 1955Penn Jillette, American magician and comedian
- 1959Tsukasa Hojo, Japanese manga artist
- 1992Erik Lamela, Argentine footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.