March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2017 is the 67th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1126Following the death of his mother Urraca, Alfonso VII is proclaimed king of Castile and León.
- 1618Johannes Kepler discovers the third law of planetary motion.
- 1655John Casor becomes the first legally-recognized slave in England’s North American colonies.
- 1702Anne Stuart, sister of Mary II, becomes Queen regnant of England, Scotland, and Ireland.
- 1916World War I: A British force unsuccessfully attempts to relieve the siege of Kut (present-day Iraq) in the Battle of Dujaila.
- 1942World War II: The Dutch surrender to Japanese forces on Java.
- 1957Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal after the Suez Crisis.
- 1974Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris, France.
- 1979Philips demonstrates the Compact Disc publicly for the first time.
- 1985A failed assassination attempt on Sayyed Mohammad Hussein Fadlallah in Beirut, Lebanon, kills at least 45 and injures 175 others.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1566Don Carlo Gesualdo, Italian composer (d. 1613)
- 1814Ede Szigligeti, Hungarian dramatist (d. 1878)
- 1822Ignacy Lukasiewicz, Polish inventor (d. 1882)
- 1916John W. Seybold, American businessman, father of computer typesetting (d. 2004)
- 1941Andrei Mironov, Soviet actor (d. 1987)
- 1944Sergey Nikitin, Russian composer
- 1961Camryn Manheim, American actress
- 1970Jason Elam, American football player
- 1975Fardeen Khan, Indian actor
- 1992Charlie Ray, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.