March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2017 is the 67th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1618Johannes Kepler discovers the third law of planetary motion.
- 1722The Safavid Empire of Iran is defeated by an army from Afghanistan at The Battle of Gulnabad, pushing Iran into anarchy.
- 1916World War I: A British force unsuccessfully attempts to relieve the siege of Kut (present-day Iraq) in the Battle of Dujaila.
- 1917International Women’s Day protests in St. Petersburg mark the beginning of the February Revolution (so named because it was February on the Julian calendar).
- 1917The United States Senate votes to limit filibusters by adopting the cloture rule.
- 1920The Arab Kingdom of Syria, the first modern Arab state to come into existence, is established.
- 1936Daytona Beach Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: The Battle of Guadalajara begins.
- 1942World War II: The Dutch surrender to Japanese forces on Java.
- 1957The 1957 Georgia Memorial to Congress, which petitions the U.S. Congress to declare the ratification of the 14th & 15th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution null and void, is adopted by the U.S. state of Georgia.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1804Alvan Clark, American telescope maker and astronomer (d. 1887)
- 1856Colin Campbell Cooper, American Impressionist painter (d. 1937)
- 1865Frederic Goudy, American type designer (d. 1947)
- 1922Ralph H. Baer, German-born American inventor
- 1945Anselm Kiefer, German painter
- 1952George Felix Allen, American politician, 67th Governor of Virginia
- 1962Kim Ung-Yong, Korean child prodigy
- 1965Kenny Smith, American basketball player
- 1978Mohammed Bouyeri, Dutch-Moroccan assassin
- 1980Charli Delaney, Australian singer (Hi-5)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.