March 8: Day of the Week
March 8, 2017 was the 67th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 298 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1126Following the death of his mother Urraca, Alfonso VII is proclaimed king of Castile and León.
- 1775An anonymous writer, thought by some to be Thomas Paine, publishes “African Slavery in America”, the first article in the American colonies calling for the emancipation of slaves and the abolition of slavery.
- 1817The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- 1844King Oscar I ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
- 1911International Women’s Day is launched in Copenhagen, Denmark, by Clara Zetkin, leader of the Women’s Office for the Social Democratic Party in Germany.
- 1916World War I: A British force unsuccessfully attempts to relieve the siege of Kut (present-day Iraq) in the Battle of Dujaila.
- 1949Mildred Gillars (“Axis Sally”) is condemned to prison for treason
- 1957Egypt re-opens the Suez Canal after the Suez Crisis.
- 1974Charles de Gaulle Airport opens in Paris, France.
- 2004A new constitution is signed by Iraq’s Governing Council.
Who were born on March 8?
- 1746André Michaux, French botanist (d. 1802)
- 1896Charlotte Whitton, Canadian politician (d. 1975)
- 1897Damerla Rama Rao, Indian artist, (d. 1925)
- 1922Yevgeny Matveyev, Russian actor and film director (d. 2003)
- 1944Sergey Nikitin, Russian composer
- 1945Bruce Broughton, American composer
- 1948Peggy March, American pop singer
- 1950Richard Ouzounian, Canadian/American theatre director and critic
- 1984Dave Moffatt, Canadian musician
- 1992Charlie Ray, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.