April 17: Day of the Week
April 17, 2020 was the 108th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 258 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LOBEVXQEIY? Check your answers here: Word solver LOBEVXQEIY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1080King of Denmark Harald III dies and is succeeded by Canute IV, who would later be the first Dane to be canonized.
- 1521Martin Luther speaks to the assembly at the Diet of Worms, refusing to recant his teachings.
- 1895The Treaty of Shimonoseki between China and Japan is signed. This marks the end of the First Sino-Japanese War, and the defeated Qing Empire is forced to renounce its claims on Korea and to concede the southern portion of the Fengtien province, Taiwan and the Pescadores Islands to Japan.
- 1905The Supreme Court of the United States decides Lochner v. New York which holds that the “right to free contract” is implicit in the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution.
- 1907The Ellis Island immigration center processes 11,747 people, more than on any other day.
- 1942French prisoner of war General Henri Giraud escapes from his castle prison in Festung Königstein.
- 1945Brazilian forces liberate the town of Montese, Italy, from German Nazi forces.
- 1964Jerrie Mock becomes the first woman to circumnavigate the world by air.
- 1970Apollo program: The ill-fated Apollo 13 spacecraft returns to Earth safely.
- 1982Patriation of the Canadian constitution in Ottawa by Proclamation of Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada.
Who were born on April 17?
- 1865Ursula Julia Ledochowska, Polish-Austrian Catholic saint (d. 1939)
- 1928Cynthia Ozick, American writer
- 1940Billy Fury, British singer (d. 1983)
- 1972Jarkko Wiss, Finnish Footballer
- 1973Theo Ratliff, American basketball player
- 1974Mikael Åkerfeldt, Swedish guitarist and singer (Opeth)
- 1977Frederik Magle, Danish composer, organist and pianist
- 1977Sizzla, Jamaican dancehall artist
- 1981Ryan Raburn, American baseball player
- 1983Stanislav Chistov, Russian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.