April 17: Day of the Week
April 17, 2020 was the 108th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 258 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UHITUUAX? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UHITUUAX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 17 Historical Event(s)
- 69After the First Battle of Bedriacum, Vitellius becomes Roman Emperor.
- 1080King of Denmark Harald III dies and is succeeded by Canute IV, who would later be the first Dane to be canonized.
- 1397Geoffrey Chaucer tells the Canterbury Tales for the first time at the court of Richard II. Chaucer scholars have also identified this date (in 1387) the start of the book’s pilgrimage to Canterbury.
- 1521Martin Luther speaks to the assembly at the Diet of Worms, refusing to recant his teachings.
- 1524Giovanni da Verrazzano reaches New York harbor.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Plymouth begins – Confederate forces attack Plymouth, North Carolina.
- 1905The Supreme Court of the United States decides Lochner v. New York which holds that the “right to free contract” is implicit in the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution.
- 1942French prisoner of war General Henri Giraud escapes from his castle prison in Festung Königstein.
- 1951The Peak District becomes the United Kingdom’s first National Park.
- 1961Bay of Pigs Invasion: A group of CIA financed and trained Cuban exiles lands at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba with the aim of ousting Fidel Castro.
Who were born on April 17?
- 1598Giovanni Riccioli, Italian astronomer (d. 1671)
- 1896Señor Wences, Spanish ventriloquist (d. 1999)
- 1917Bill Clements, American politician
- 1934Don Kirshner, American composer (d. 2011)
- 1940Billy Fury, British singer (d. 1983)
- 1951Börje Salming, Swedish ice hockey player
- 1965Yoshiki Kuroda, Japanese urban planner
- 1968Prince Maurits of the Netherlands
- 1976Alex Nesic, American actor
- 1989Paraskevi Papahristou, Greek triple jumper
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.