April 17: Day of the Week
April 17, 2020 was the 108th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 258 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Beatrice’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
April 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1492Spain and Christopher Columbus sign the Capitulations of Santa Fe for his voyage to Asia to acquire spices.
- 1555After 18 months of siege, Siena surrenders to the Florentine-Imperial army. The Republic of Siena is incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
- 1797Sir Ralph Abercromby attacks San Juan, Puerto Rico in what would be one of the largest invasions of the Spanish territories in America.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Plymouth begins – Confederate forces attack Plymouth, North Carolina.
- 1907The Ellis Island immigration center processes 11,747 people, more than on any other day.
- 1912Russian troops open fire on striking goldfield workers in northeast Siberia, killing at least 150.
- 1941World War II: The Kingdom of Yugoslavia surrenders to Germany.
- 1946Syria obtains its Independence from the French occupation.
- 1961Bay of Pigs Invasion: A group of CIA financed and trained Cuban exiles lands at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba with the aim of ousting Fidel Castro.
- 1984Police Constable Yvonne Fletcher is killed by gunfire from the Libyan People’s Bureau in London during a small demonstration outside the embassy. Ten others are wounded. The events lead to an 11-day siege of the building.
Who were born on April 17?
- 1586John Ford, English dramatist
- 1798Étienne Bobillier, French mathematician (d. 1840)
- 1891George Adamski, Polish-American author and ufologist (d. 1965)
- 1926Gerry McNeil, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2004)
- 1929James Last, German band leader
- 1938Ben Barnes, American politician
- 1947Linda Martin, Irish singer
- 1950L. Scott Caldwell, American actress
- 1979Siddharth Narayan, Indian actor
- 1990Jonathan Brown, Welsh footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.