April 17: Day of the Week
April 17, 2019 was the 107th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 258 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
April 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1080King of Denmark Harald III dies and is succeeded by Canute IV, who would later be the first Dane to be canonized.
- 1492Spain and Christopher Columbus sign the Capitulations of Santa Fe for his voyage to Asia to acquire spices.
- 1524Giovanni da Verrazzano reaches New York harbor.
- 1895The Treaty of Shimonoseki between China and Japan is signed. This marks the end of the First Sino-Japanese War, and the defeated Qing Empire is forced to renounce its claims on Korea and to concede the southern portion of the Fengtien province, Taiwan and the Pescadores Islands to Japan.
- 1897The Aurora, Texas UFO incident
- 1942French prisoner of war General Henri Giraud escapes from his castle prison in Festung Königstein.
- 1944Forces of the Communist-controlled Greek People’s Liberation Army attack the smaller National and Social Liberation resistance group, which surrenders. Its leader Dimitrios Psarros is murdered.
- 1949At midnight 26 Irish counties officially leave the British Commonwealth. A 21-gun salute on O'Connell Bridge, Dublin, ushers in the Republic of Ireland.
- 1969Czechoslovakian Communist Party chairman Alexander Dubček is deposed.
- 1969Sirhan Sirhan is convicted of assassinating Robert F. Kennedy.
Who were born on April 17?
- 1573Maximilian I, Elector of Bavaria (d. 1651)
- 1816Thomas Hazlehurst, English Methodist chapel builder (d. 1876)
- 1865Ursula Julia Ledochowska, Polish-Austrian Catholic saint (d. 1939)
- 1919Chavela Vargas, Costa Rican-Mexican singer
- 1939Robert Miller, American art dealer (d. 2011)
- 1972Muttiah Muralitharan, Sri Lankan cricketer
- 1978Lindsay Hartley, American actress
- 1978Loukas Louka, Greek-Cypriot footballer
- 1982Lee Jun Ki, South Korean actor and model
- 1983Roberto Jimenez, Peruvian football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.