April 17: Day of the Week
April 17, 2020 is the 108th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 258 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Daniel’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
April 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1397Geoffrey Chaucer tells the Canterbury Tales for the first time at the court of Richard II. Chaucer scholars have also identified this date (in 1387) the start of the book’s pilgrimage to Canterbury.
- 1492Spain and Christopher Columbus sign the Capitulations of Santa Fe for his voyage to Asia to acquire spices.
- 1555After 18 months of siege, Siena surrenders to the Florentine-Imperial army. The Republic of Siena is incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Plymouth begins – Confederate forces attack Plymouth, North Carolina.
- 1897The Aurora, Texas UFO incident
- 1912Russian troops open fire on striking goldfield workers in northeast Siberia, killing at least 150.
- 1941World War II: The Kingdom of Yugoslavia surrenders to Germany.
- 1942French prisoner of war General Henri Giraud escapes from his castle prison in Festung Königstein.
- 1951The Peak District becomes the United Kingdom’s first National Park.
- 1961Bay of Pigs Invasion: A group of CIA financed and trained Cuban exiles lands at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba with the aim of ousting Fidel Castro.
Who were born on April 17?
- 1820Alexander Joy Cartwright, Inventor of the Modern Game of Baseball (d. 1892)
- 1891George Adamski, Polish-American author and ufologist (d. 1965)
- 1917Bill Clements, American politician
- 1918William Holden, American actor (d. 1981)
- 1939Robert Miller, American art dealer (d. 2011)
- 1972Gary Bennett, American baseball player
- 1972Muttiah Muralitharan, Sri Lankan cricketer
- 1977Sizzla, Jamaican dancehall artist
- 1980Lee Hyun-il, South Korean badminton player
- 1982Lee Jun Ki, South Korean actor and model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.