April 23: Day of the Week
April 23, 2020 was the 114th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 252 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Stuart’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
April 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1016Edmund Ironside succeeds his father Æthelred the Unready as king of England,
- 1348The founding of the Order of the Garter by King Edward III is announced on St George’s Day.
- 1815The Second Serbian Uprising – a second phase of the national revolution of the Serbs against the Ottoman Empire, erupts shortly after the annexation of the country to the Ottoman Empire.
- 1927Turkey becomes the first country to celebrate Children’s Day as a national holiday.
- 1941World War II: The Greek government and King George II evacuate Athens before the invading Wehrmacht.
- 1942World War II: Baedeker Blitz – German bombers hit Exeter, Bath and York in retaliation for the British raid on Lübeck.
- 1951American journalist William N. Oatis is arrested for espionage by the Communist government of Czechoslovakia.
- 1955The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
- 1961Algiers putsch by French generals.
- 1985Coca-Cola changes its formula and releases New Coke. The response is overwhelmingly negative, and the original formula is back on the market in less than 3 months.
Who were born on April 23?
- 1516Georg Fabricius, German poet, historian, and archaeologist (d. 1571)
- 1857Ruggiero Leoncavallo, Italian composer (d. 1919)
- 1861John Peltz, American baseball player (d. 1906)
- 1880Michel Fokine, Russian choreographer and dancer (d. 1942)
- 1942Sandra Dee, American actress (d. 2005)
- 1957Kenji Kawai, Japanese composer
- 1969Yelena Shushunova, Russian gymnast
- 1971Charmaine Sinclair, English model
- 1979Jaime King, American actress
- 1986Jessica Stam, Canadian model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.