April 23: Day of the Week
April 23, 2020 was the 114th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 252 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IDMGIAQAYSZSU? Check your answers here: Word solver IDMGIAQAYSZSU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 23 Historical Event(s)
- 215 BCA temple is built on the Capitoline Hill dedicated to Venus Erycina to commemorate the Roman defeat at Lake Trasimene.
- 1014Battle of Clontarf: Brian Boru defeats Viking invaders, but is killed in battle.
- 1343Estonia: St. George’s Night Uprising.
- 1635The first public school in the United States, Boston Latin School, is founded in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1910Theodore Roosevelt made his The Man in the Arena speech.
- 1918World War I: The British Royal Navy makes a raid in an attempt to neutralise the Belgian port of Bruges-Zeebrugge.
- 1927Turkey becomes the first country to celebrate Children’s Day as a national holiday.
- 1942World War II: Baedeker Blitz – German bombers hit Exeter, Bath and York in retaliation for the British raid on Lübeck.
- 1990Namibia becomes the 160th member of the United Nations and the 50th member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 2003Beijing closes all schools for two weeks because of the SARS virus.
Who were born on April 23?
- 1516Georg Fabricius, German poet, historian, and archaeologist (d. 1571)
- 1813Stephen A. Douglas, U.S. Senator from Illinois and Presidential candidate (d. 1861)
- 1900Joseph Green, Polish-born actor and director (d. 1996)
- 1907Lee Miller, American photographer & model (d. 1977)
- 1928Shirley Temple, American actress and politician
- 1960Claude Julien, Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- 1977Andruw Jones, Curaçaoan baseball player
- 1979Barry Fratelli, Scottish bassist (The Fratellis)
- 1979Lauri Ylönen, Finnish singer (The Rasmus)
- 1990Dev Patel, British actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.