April 24: Day of the Week
April 24, 2021 is the 114th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 251 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ABGLEUVDTAYS? Check your answers here: Word solver ABGLEUVDTAYS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1800The United States Library of Congress is established when President John Adams signs legislation to appropriate $5,000 USD to purchase “such books as may be necessary for the use of Congress”.
- 1877Russo-Turkish War: Russian Empire declares war on Ottoman Empire.
- 1907Al Ahly was founded.
- 1916Easter Rising: The Irish Republican Brotherhood led by nationalists Patrick Pearse, James Connolly, and Joseph Plunkett starts a rebellion in Ireland.
- 1957Suez Crisis: The Suez Canal is reopened following the introduction of UNEF peacekeepers to the region.
- 1963Marriage of HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent to the Hon Angus Ogilvy at Westminster Abbey in London.
- 1971Soyuz 10 docks with Salyut 1.
- 1980Eight U.S. servicemen die in Operation Eagle Claw as they attempt to end the Iran hostage crisis.
- 1990Gruinard Island, Scotland, is officially declared free of the anthrax disease after 48 years of quarantine.
- 2005Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger is inaugurated as the 265th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church taking the name Pope Benedict XVI.
Who were born on April 24?
- 1815Anthony Trollope, English novelist (d. 1882)
- 1922J. D. Cannon, American actor (d. 2005)
- 1933Helmuth Lohner, Austrian actor
- 1934Shirley MacLaine, American actor and author
- 1941John Williams, Australian guitarist
- 1943Richard Sterban, American singer
- 1947Josep Borrell, Spanish politician
- 1959Paula Yates, British television presenter (d. 2000)
- 1966Alessandro Costacurta, Italian footballer
- 1968Stacy Haiduk, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.