April 26: Day of the Week
April 26, 2020 was the 117th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 249 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LDIWNAUULAD? Check your answers here: Word solver LDIWNAUULAD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1607English colonists make landfall at Cape Henry, Virginia.
- 1805First Barbary War: United States Marines captured Derne under the command of First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon.
- 1933The Gestapo, the official secret police force of Nazi Germany, is established.
- 1946Naperville train disaster kills 47.
- 1954The Geneva Conference, an effort to restore peace in Indochina and Korea, begins.
- 1989People’s Daily publishes the People’s Daily editorial of April 26 which inflames the nascent Tiananmen Square protests
- 1989The deadliest tornado in world history strikes Central Bangladesh, killing upwards of 1,300, injuring 12,000, and leaving as many as 80,000 homeless.
- 1994China Airlines flight 140 crashes at Nagoya Airport in Japan, killing 264 of the 271 people on board.
- 2002Robert Steinhäuser infiltrates and kills 17 at Gutenberg-Gymnasium in Erfurt, Germany before dying of a self-inflicted gunshot.
- 2005Under international pressure, Syria withdraws the last of its 14,000 troop military garrison in Lebanon, ending its 29-year military domination of that country ( Syrian occupation of Lebanon ).
Who were born on April 26?
- 1812Alfred Krupp, German industrialist (d. 1887)
- 1879Owen Willans Richardson, British physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1959)
- 1897Eddie Eagan, American sportsman (d. 1967)
- 1910Tomoyuki Tanaka, Japanese movie producer and creator of Godzilla (d. 1997)
- 1932Francis Lai, French film music composer
- 1942Bobby Rydell, American singer
- 1949Jerry Blackwell, American wrestler (d. 1995)
- 1963Colin Scotts, Australian-born American football player
- 1970Tionne “T-Boz” Watkins, American singer (TLC)
- 1977Chris Johnston, Irish rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.