April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2019 was the 98th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ida’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1139Roger II of Sicily is excommunicated.
- 1886William Ewart Gladstone introduces the first Irish Home Rule Bill into the British House of Commons.
- 1893The first recorded college basketball game occurs in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.
- 1904The French Third Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland sign the Entente cordiale.
- 1908Harvard University votes to establish the Harvard Business School.
- 1913The 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution, requiring direct election of Senators, becomes law.
- 1929Indian Independence Movement: At the Delhi Central Assembly, Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt throw handouts and bombs to court arrest.
- 1943U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, in an attempt to check inflation, freezes wages and prices, prohibits workers from changing jobs unless the war effort would be aided thereby, and bars rate increases by common carriers and public utilities.
- 1959The Organization of American States drafts an agreement to create the Inter-American Development Bank.
- 1985Bhopal disaster: India files suit against Union Carbide for the disaster which killed an estimated 2,000 and injured another 200,000.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1320King Peter I of Portugal (d. 1367)
- 1905Erwin Keller, German field hockey player (d. 1971)
- 1924Sir Anthony Farrar-Hockley, English soldier and historian (d. 2006)
- 1944Hywel Bennett, Welsh actor
- 1964John McGinlay, Scottish footballer
- 1972Paul Gray, American bassist (Slipknot) (d. 2010)
- 1974Chino XL, American rapper
- 1974Holger Hott Johansen, Norwegian orienteerist
- 1979Alexi Laiho, Finnish guitarist and singer (Children of Bodom, Sinergy, Kylähullut)
- 1981Brian Burres, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.