April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2019 was the 98th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Mansfield – Union forces are thwarted by the Confederate army at Mansfield, Louisiana.
- 1866Italy and Prussia ally against Austrian Empire.
- 1913The 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution, requiring direct election of Senators, becomes law.
- 1943U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt, in an attempt to check inflation, freezes wages and prices, prohibits workers from changing jobs unless the war effort would be aided thereby, and bars rate increases by common carriers and public utilities.
- 1945World War II: After an air raid accidentally destroys a train carrying about 4,000 Nazi concentration camp internees in Prussian Hanover, the survivors are massacred by Nazis.
- 1954South African Airways Flight 201 A de Havilland DH.106 Comet 1 crashes into the sea during night killing 21 people.
- 1959A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- 1959The Organization of American States drafts an agreement to create the Inter-American Development Bank.
- 1987Los Angeles Dodgers executive Al Campanis resigns amid controversy over racially charged remarks he had made while on Nightline.
- 1992Retired tennis great Arthur Ashe announces that he has AIDS, acquired from blood transfusions during one of his two heart surgeries.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1541Michele Mercati, Italian physician (d. 1593)
- 1842Elizabeth Bacon Custer, wife of George Armstrong Custer (d. 1933)
- 1904Hirsch Jacobs, American thoroughbred horse trainer and owner (d. 1970)
- 1908Hugo Fregonese, Argentine film director (d. 1987)
- 1928Leah Rabin, widow of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin (d. 2000)
- 1929Jacques Brel, Belgian singer/composer (d. 1978)
- 1945Derrick Walker, British racing team owner
- 1948Michael Leshner, Canadian lawyer and gay rights advocate
- 1972Paul Gray, American bassist (Slipknot) (d. 2010)
- 1981Brian Burres, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.