April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2021 was the 98th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SIAZBDXUEI? Check your answers here: Word scramble SIAZBDXUEI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1093The new Winchester Cathedral is dedicated by Walkelin.
- 1913The 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution, requiring direct election of Senators, becomes law.
- 1942World War II: Siege of Leningrad – Soviet forces open a much-needed railway link to Leningrad.
- 1946Électricité de France, the world’s largest utility company, is formed as a result of the nationalisation of a number of electricity producers, transporters and distributors.
- 1950India and Pakistan sign the Liaquat-Nehru Pact.
- 1952U.S. President Harry Truman calls for the seizure of all domestic steel mills to prevent a nationwide strike.
- 1953Mau Mau leader Jomo Kenyatta is convicted by Kenya’s British rulers.
- 1954A Royal Canadian Air Force Canadair Harvard collided with a Trans-Canada Airlines Canadair North Star over Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, killing 37 people.
- 1959A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- 1975President Richard Nixon signs into law federal legislation authorizing the establishment of Voyageurs National Park in northern Minnesota.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1909John Fante, American novelist (d. 1983)
- 1928Monty Sunshine, English jazz clarinetist
- 1941Peggy Lennon, American singer (The Lennon Sisters)
- 1955Ron Johnson, American politician, junior senator of Wisconsin.
- 1964Biz Markie, American rapper/disc jockey
- 1966Mazinho, Brazilian footballer
- 1968Tracy Grammer, American folk singer
- 1978Bernt Haas, Swiss footballer
- 1986Erika Sawajiri, Japanese actress, model and singer
- 1989Hitomi Takahashi, Japanese singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.