April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2017 was the 98th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1139Roger II of Sicily is excommunicated.
- 1730Shearith Israel, the first synagogue in New York City, is dedicated.
- 1767Ayutthaya kingdom falls to Burmese invaders.
- 1904British mystic Aleister Crowley transcribes the first chapter of The Book of the Law.
- 1918World War I: Actors Douglas Fairbanks and Charlie Chaplin sell war bonds on the streets of New York City’s financial district.
- 1935The Works Progress Administration is formed when the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act of 1935 becomes law.
- 1946The last meeting of the League of Nations, the precursor of the United Nations, is held.
- 1959A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- 1961A large explosion on board the MV Dara in the Persian Gulf kills 238.
- 2008The construction of the world’s first building to integrate wind turbines is completed in Bahrain.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1889Sir Adrian Boult, British conductor (d. 1983)
- 1930Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma, Duke of Parma (d. 2010)
- 1941Vivienne Westwood, English fashion designer
- 1944Odd Nerdrum, Norwegian painter
- 1950Grzegorz Lato, Polish footballer
- 1974Chino XL, American rapper
- 1981Brian Burres, American baseball player
- 1984Ezra Koenig, American singer (Vampire Weekend)
- 1986Igor Akinfeev, Russian footballer
- 1989Alex DeLeon, American singer (The Cab)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.