April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2018 was the 98th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1730Shearith Israel, the first synagogue in New York City, is dedicated.
- 1929Indian Independence Movement: At the Delhi Central Assembly, Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt throw handouts and bombs to court arrest.
- 1942World War II: Siege of Leningrad – Soviet forces open a much-needed railway link to Leningrad.
- 1950India and Pakistan sign the Liaquat-Nehru Pact.
- 1952U.S. President Harry Truman calls for the seizure of all domestic steel mills to prevent a nationwide strike.
- 1960The Netherlands and West Germany sign an agreement to negotiate the return of German land annexed by the Dutch in return for 280 million German marks as Wiedergutmachung.
- 1970Bahr el-Baqar incident: Israeli bombers strike an Egyptian school. 46 children are killed.
- 1985Bhopal disaster: India files suit against Union Carbide for the disaster which killed an estimated 2,000 and injured another 200,000.
- 1999Haryana Gana Parishad, a political party in the Indian state of Haryana, merges with the Indian National Congress.
- 2004Darfur conflict: The Humanitarian Ceasefire Agreement is signed by the Sudanese government and two rebel groups.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1732David Rittenhouse, American astronomer, inventor, and mathematician (d. 1796)
- 1905Helen Joseph, South African anti-apartheid activist (d. 1992)
- 1911Melvin Calvin, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1997)
- 1938Kofi Annan, Ghanaian diplomat and former United Nations Secretary General
- 1947Larry Norman, American singer/songwriter (d. 2008)
- 1947Steve Howe, English guitarist (Yes, Asia, GTR)
- 1966Dalton Grant, British high jumper
- 1974Holger Hott Johansen, Norwegian orienteerist
- 1981Taylor Kitsch, Canadian actor and model
- 1988Kim Myung-Sung, South Korean baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.