April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2020 is the 99th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kennedy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1893The first recorded college basketball game occurs in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.
- 1906Auguste Deter, the first person to be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, dies.
- 1918World War I: Actors Douglas Fairbanks and Charlie Chaplin sell war bonds on the streets of New York City’s financial district.
- 1942World War II: Siege of Leningrad – Soviet forces open a much-needed railway link to Leningrad.
- 1942World War II: The Japanese take Bataan in the Philippines.
- 1953Mau Mau leader Jomo Kenyatta is convicted by Kenya’s British rulers.
- 1959A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- 1968BOAC Flight 712 catches fire shortly after take off. As a result of her actions in the accident, Barbara Jane Harrison is awarded a posthumous George Cross, the only GC awarded to a woman in peacetime.
- 1975President Richard Nixon signs into law federal legislation authorizing the establishment of Voyageurs National Park in northern Minnesota.
- 2004Darfur conflict: The Humanitarian Ceasefire Agreement is signed by the Sudanese government and two rebel groups.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1896Yip Harburg, American lyricist (d. 1981)
- 1904John Hicks, British economist, Bank of Sweden Prize winner (d. 1989)
- 1928Monty Sunshine, English jazz clarinetist
- 1938Kofi Annan, Ghanaian diplomat and former United Nations Secretary General
- 1942Douglas Trumbull, American film director
- 1956Jim Piddock, English actor, writer and producer
- 1964John McGinlay, Scottish footballer
- 1968Patricia Girard-Léno, French athlete
- 1975Francesco Flachi, Italian footballer
- 1981Frédérick Bousquet, French swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.