April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2020 was the 99th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AKXRRAEDK? Check your answers here: Word solver AKXRRAEDK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1271In Syria, sultan Baybars conquers the Krak of Chevaliers.
- 1730Shearith Israel, the first synagogue in New York City, is dedicated.
- 1740War of Jenkin’s Ear: Three British ships capture the Spanish third-rate Princesa.
- 1904The French Third Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland sign the Entente cordiale.
- 1945World War II: After an air raid accidentally destroys a train carrying about 4,000 Nazi concentration camp internees in Prussian Hanover, the survivors are massacred by Nazis.
- 1952U.S. President Harry Truman calls for the seizure of all domestic steel mills to prevent a nationwide strike.
- 1953Mau Mau leader Jomo Kenyatta is convicted by Kenya’s British rulers.
- 1959A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- 1975Frank Robinson manages the Cleveland Indians in his first game as major league baseball’s first African American manager.
- 1975President Richard Nixon signs into law federal legislation authorizing the establishment of Voyageurs National Park in northern Minnesota.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1935Oscar Zeta Acosta, American attorney, politician, and Chicano Movement activist (d. 1974?)
- 1946Catfish Hunter, American baseball player (d. 1999)
- 1946Tim Thomerson, American actor
- 1955Barbara Kingsolver, American novelist
- 1962Izzy Stradlin, American musician (Guns N' Roses)
- 1966Mark Blundell, British racing driver
- 1968Patricia Arquette, American actress
- 1974Nnedi Okorafor, Nigerian American writer
- 1981Brian Burres, American baseball player
- 1984Júlia Liptáková, Slovak model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.