April 8: Day of the Week
April 8, 2020 was the 99th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 267 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kelli’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
April 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1820The Venus de Milo is discovered on the Aegean island of Melos.
- 1893The first recorded college basketball game occurs in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania.
- 1904Longacre Square in Midtown Manhattan is renamed Times Square after The New York Times.
- 1918World War I: Actors Douglas Fairbanks and Charlie Chaplin sell war bonds on the streets of New York City’s financial district.
- 1946Électricité de France, the world’s largest utility company, is formed as a result of the nationalisation of a number of electricity producers, transporters and distributors.
- 1959The Organization of American States drafts an agreement to create the Inter-American Development Bank.
- 1974at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Hank Aaron hits his 715th career home run to surpass Babe Ruth’s 39-year-old record.
- 1975President Richard Nixon signs into law federal legislation authorizing the establishment of Voyageurs National Park in northern Minnesota.
- 1992Retired tennis great Arthur Ashe announces that he has AIDS, acquired from blood transfusions during one of his two heart surgeries.
- 2005Over four million people attend the funeral of Pope John Paul II.
Who were born on April 8?
- 1859Edmund Husserl, Austrian philosopher (d. 1938)
- 1892Mary Pickford, Canadian actress (d. 1979)
- 1905Helen Joseph, South African anti-apartheid activist (d. 1992)
- 1923Edward Mulhare, Irish actor (d. 1997)
- 1938Kofi Annan, Ghanaian diplomat and former United Nations Secretary General
- 1940John Havlicek, American basketball player
- 1946Catfish Hunter, American baseball player (d. 1999)
- 1962Evan Davis, British journalist and television presenter
- 1981Taylor Kitsch, Canadian actor and model
- 1987Royston Drenthe, Dutch footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.