April 9: Day of the Week
April 9, 2020 was the 100th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 266 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TVVUFAUIRWOY? Check your answers here: Word search TVVUFAUIRWOY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
April 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1241Battle of Liegnitz: Mongol forces defeat the Polish and German armies.
- 1609Eighty Years’ War: Spain and the Dutch Republic sign the Treaty of Antwerp to initiate twelve years of truce.
- 1914Mexican Revolution: One of the world’s first naval/air skirmishes takes place off the coast of western Mexico.
- 1937The Kamikaze arrives at Croydon Airport in London – it is the first Japanese-built aircraft to fly to Europe.
- 1942World War II: The Battle of Bataan/Bataan Death March – United States forces surrender on the Bataan Peninsula. The Japanese Navy launches an air raid on Trincomalee in Ceylon (Sri Lanka); Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Hermes and Royal Australian Navy Destroyer HMAS Vampire are sunk off the island’s east coast.
- 1947The Glazier-Higgins-Woodward tornadoes kill 181 and injure 970 in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
- 1952Hugo Ballivian’s government is overthrown by the Bolivian National Revolution, starting a period of agrarian reform, universal suffrage and the nationalisation of tin mines
- 1959Project Mercury: NASA announces the selection of the United States’ first seven astronauts, whom the news media quickly dub the “Mercury Seven”.
- 1975The first game of the Philippine Basketball Association, the second oldest professional basketball league in the world.
- 1992John Major’s Conservative Party wins an unprecedented fourth general election victory in the United Kingdom.
Who were born on April 9?
- 1680Philippe Néricault Destouches, French dramatist (d. 1754)
- 1898Paul Robeson, American singer and activist (d. 1976)
- 1928Paul Arizin, American basketball player (d. 2006)
- 1934Bill Birch, New Zealand politician
- 1965Jay Wesley Neill, American murderer (d. 2002)
- 1980Clueso, German singer, rapper, songwriter and producer
- 1980Jerko Leko, Croatian footballer
- 1982Jay Baruchel, Canadian actor
- 1986Leighton Meester, American singer and actress
- 1987Jesse McCartney, American actor and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.