April 9: Day of the Week
April 9, 2023 was the 99th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 266 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WFOOJCIWU? Check your answers here: Unscramble words WFOOJCIWU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1413Henry V is crowned King of England.
- 1440Christopher of Bavaria is appointed King of Denmark.
- 1918World War I: The Battle of the Lys – the Portuguese Expeditionary Corps is crushed by the German forces during what is called the Spring Offensive on the Belgian region of Flanders.
- 1940World War II: Operation Weserübung – Germany invades Denmark and Norway.
- 1969The “Chicago Eight” plead not guilty to federal charges of conspiracy to incite a riot at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1975The first game of the Philippine Basketball Association, the second oldest professional basketball league in the world.
- 1980The Iraqi regime of Saddam Hussein kills philosopher Muhammad Baqir al-Sadr and his sister Bint al-Huda after three days of torture.
- 1981The U.S. Navy nuclear submarine USS George Washington accidentally collides with the Nissho Maru, a Japanese cargo ship, sinking it.
- 20032003 invasion of Iraq: Baghdad falls to American forces;Saddam Hussein statue topples as Iraqis turn on symbols of their former leader, pulling down the statue and tearing it to pieces.
- 2011A gunman murdered five people, injured eleven, and committed suicide in a mall in the Netherlands.
Who were born on April 9?
- 1835King Leopold II of Belgium (d. 1909)
- 1846Paolo Tosti, Italian composer (d. 1916)
- 1921Frankie Thomas, American actor (d. 2006)
- 1941Hannah Gordon, British actress
- 1956Miguel Ángel Russo, Argentine footballer
- 1964Soyo Oka, Japanese musician
- 1971Leo Fortune-West, English footballer
- 1979Keshia Knight Pulliam, American actress
- 1980Jerko Leko, Croatian footballer
- 1981Milan Bartovič, Slovak ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.