August 10: Day of the Week
August 10, 2019 is the 222nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 143 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 10: This Day in History
The term ‘the 10th of August’is widely used by historians as a shorthand for the Storming of the Tuileries Palace on the 10th of August, 1792, the effective end of the French monarchy until it is restored in 1814.
August 10 Historical Event(s)
- 955Battle of Lechfeld: Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor defeats the Magyars, ending 50 years of Magyar invasion of the West.
- 991Battle of Maldon: the English, led by Byrhtnoth, Ealdorman of Essex, are defeated by a band of inland-raiding Vikings near Maldon in Essex.
- 1628The Swedish warship ship sinks in the Stockholm harbour after only about 20 minutes of her maiden voyage.
- 1755Under the orders of Charles Lawrence, the British Army begins to forcibly deport the Acadians from Nova Scotia to the Thirteen Colonies.
- 1904Russo-Japanese War: the Battle of the Yellow Sea between the Russian and Japanese battleship fleets takes place.
- 1913Second Balkan War: delegates from Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, and Greece sign the Treaty of Bucharest, ending the war.
- 1920World War I: Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI’s representatives sign the Treaty of Sèvres that divides up the Ottoman Empire between the Allies.
- 1948Candid Camera makes its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone.
- 1988Japanese American internment: U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, providing $20,000 payments to Japanese Americans who were either interned in or relocated by the United States during World War II.
- 1998HRH Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah is proclaimed the crown prince of Brunei with a Royal Proclamation.
Who were born on August 10?
- 1839Aleksandr Stoletov, Russian physicist (d. 1896)
- 1878Alfred Döblin, German writer (d. 1957)
- 1913Noah Beery, Jr., American actor (d. 1994)
- 1943Jimmy Griffin, American guitarist (Bread) (d. 2005)
- 1954Peter Endrulat, German footballer
- 1967Mart Sander, Estonian singer and actor
- 1971Sal Fasano, American baseball player
- 1974Rachel Simmons, American feminist and author
- 1975İlhan Mansız, Turkish footballer
- 1979Joanna García, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.