August 10: Day of the Week
August 10, 2018 was the 222nd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 143 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 10: This Day in History
The term ‘the 10th of August’is widely used by historians as a shorthand for the Storming of the Tuileries Palace on the 10th of August, 1792, the effective end of the French monarchy until it is restored in 1814.
August 10 Historical Event(s)
- 991Battle of Maldon: the English, led by Byrhtnoth, Ealdorman of Essex, are defeated by a band of inland-raiding Vikings near Maldon in Essex.
- 1316The Second Battle of Athenry takes place near Athenry during the Bruce campaign in Ireland.
- 1755Under the orders of Charles Lawrence, the British Army begins to forcibly deport the Acadians from Nova Scotia to the Thirteen Colonies.
- 1813Instituto Nacional, is founded by the Chilean patriot José Miguel Carrera. It is Chile’s oldest and most prestigious school. Its motto is Labor Omnia Vincit, which means “Work conquers all things”.
- 1846The Smithsonian Institution is chartered by the United States Congress after James Smithson donates $500,000.
- 1932A 5.1 kg chondrite-type meteorite breaks into at least seven pieces and lands near the town of Archie in Cass County, Missouri.
- 1944World War II: American forces defeat the last Japanese troops on Guam.
- 1971The Society for American Baseball Research is founded in Cooperstown, New York.
- 1977In Yonkers, New York, 24-year-old postal employee David Berkowitz (“Son of Sam”) is arrested for a series of killings in the New York City area over the period of one year.
- 1990The Magellan space probe reaches Venus.
Who were born on August 10?
- 1296King John of Bohemia (d. 1346)
- 1923Rhonda Fleming, American actress
- 1939Kate O'Mara, British actress
- 1943Ronnie Spector, American singer (The Ronettes)
- 1959Florent Vollant, Innu-Canadian singer-songwriter (Kashtin)
- 1962Julia Fordham, singer/songwriter
- 1965Mike E. Smith, American jockey
- 1966Hansi Kürsch, German singer
- 1972Lawrence Dallaglio, English rugby union footballer
- 1982Josh Anderson, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.