August 10: Day of the Week
August 10, 2022 is the 222nd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 143 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AMRDETAGJMT? Check your answers here: Word solver AMRDETAGJMT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 10: This Day in History
The term ‘the 10th of August’is widely used by historians as a shorthand for the Storming of the Tuileries Palace on the 10th of August, 1792, the effective end of the French monarchy until it is restored in 1814.
August 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1519Ferdinand Magellan’s five ships set sail from Seville to circumnavigate the globe. The Basque second in command Sebastian Elcano will complete the expedition after Magellan’s death in the Philippines.
- 1675The foundation stone of the Royal Greenwich Observatory in London is laid.
- 1813Instituto Nacional, is founded by the Chilean patriot José Miguel Carrera. It is Chile’s oldest and most prestigious school. Its motto is Labor Omnia Vincit, which means “Work conquers all things”.
- 1846The Smithsonian Institution is chartered by the United States Congress after James Smithson donates $500,000.
- 1905Russo-Japanese War: peace negotiations begin in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- 1944World War II: American forces defeat the last Japanese troops on Guam.
- 1948Candid Camera makes its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone.
- 1988Japanese American internment: U.S. President Ronald Reagan signs the Civil Liberties Act of 1988, providing $20,000 payments to Japanese Americans who were either interned in or relocated by the United States during World War II.
- 2003The highest temperature ever recorded in the United Kingdom – 38.5 °C in Kent. It is the first time the United Kingdom has recorded a temperature over 100 °F.
- 2009Twenty people are killed in Handlová, Trenčín Region, in the deadliest mining disaster in Slovakia’s history.
Who were born on August 10?
- 1645Eusebio Kino, Italian Catholic missionary (d. 1711)
- 1810Count Camillo Benso di Cavour, Italian diplomat and politician (d. 1861)
- 1821Jay Cooke, American financier (d. 1905)
- 1967Riddick Bowe, American boxer
- 1973Javier Zanetti, Argentinian footballer
- 1978Claire Yiu, Hong Kong actress
- 1979Joanna García, American actress
- 1979Yannick Schroeder, French racing driver
- 1981Taufik Hidayat, Indonesian badminton player
- 1985Enrico Cortese, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.