August 10: Day of the Week
August 10, 2020 is the 223rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 143 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Harley’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 10: This Day in History
The term ‘the 10th of August’is widely used by historians as a shorthand for the Storming of the Tuileries Palace on the 10th of August, 1792, the effective end of the French monarchy until it is restored in 1814.
August 10 Historical Event(s)
- 991Battle of Maldon: the English, led by Byrhtnoth, Ealdorman of Essex, are defeated by a band of inland-raiding Vikings near Maldon in Essex.
- 1270Yekuno Amlak takes the imperial throne of Ethiopia, restoring the Solomonic dynasty to power after a 100-year Zagwe interregnum.
- 1316The Second Battle of Athenry takes place near Athenry during the Bruce campaign in Ireland.
- 1519Ferdinand Magellan’s five ships set sail from Seville to circumnavigate the globe. The Basque second in command Sebastian Elcano will complete the expedition after Magellan’s death in the Philippines.
- 1793The Musée du Louvre is officially opened in Paris, France.
- 1809Quito, now the capital of Ecuador, declares independence from Spain. This rebellion will be crushed on August 2, 1810.
- 1861American Civil War: Battle of Wilson’s Creek – the war enters Missouri when a band of raw Confederate troops defeat Union forces in the southwestern part of the state.
- 1981Murder of Adam Walsh: the head of John Walsh’s son is found. This inspires the creation of the television series America’s Most Wanted.
- 2003Yuri Malenchenko becomes the first person to marry in space.
- 2006Scotland Yard disrupts a major terrorist plot to destroy aircraft traveling from the United Kingdom to the United States.
Who were born on August 10?
- 1827Lovro Toman, Slovenian politician (d. 1870)
- 1897John W. Galbreath, American businessman (d. 1988)
- 1928Jimmy Dean, American singer and businessman (d. 2010)
- 1933Keith Duckworth, English mechanical engineer (Cosworth) (d. 2005)
- 1943Ronnie Spector, American singer (The Ronettes)
- 1959Rosanna Arquette, American actress
- 1977Aaron Kamin, American guitarist and songwriter (The Calling)
- 1979Yannick Schroeder, French racing driver
- 1981Natsumi Abe, Japanese singer
- 1985Roy O'Donovan, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.