August 10: Day of the Week
August 10, 2019 was the 222nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 143 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Chester’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 10: This Day in History
The term ‘the 10th of August’is widely used by historians as a shorthand for the Storming of the Tuileries Palace on the 10th of August, 1792, the effective end of the French monarchy until it is restored in 1814.
August 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1809Quito, now the capital of Ecuador, declares independence from Spain. This rebellion will be crushed on August 2, 1810.
- 1905Russo-Japanese War: peace negotiations begin in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
- 1948Candid Camera makes its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone.
- 1949U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act Amendment, streamlining the defense agencies of the United States government, and replacing the Department of War with the United States Department of Defense.
- 1961First use in Vietnam War of the Agent Orange by the U.S. Army.
- 1969A day after murdering Sharon Tate and four others, members of Charles Manson’s cult kill Leno and Rosemary LaBianca.
- 1971The Society for American Baseball Research is founded in Cooperstown, New York.
- 1977In Yonkers, New York, 24-year-old postal employee David Berkowitz (“Son of Sam”) is arrested for a series of killings in the New York City area over the period of one year.
- 1993An earthquake measuring 7.0 on the Richter Scale hits the South Island of New Zealand.
- 2009Twenty people are killed in Handlová, Trenčín Region, in the deadliest mining disaster in Slovakia’s history.
Who were born on August 10?
- 1489Jacob Sturm von Sturmeck, German statesman and reformer (d. 1553)
- 1560Hieronymus Praetorius, German composer (d. 1629)
- 1645Eusebio Kino, Italian Catholic missionary (d. 1711)
- 1872Bill Johnson, American double-bassist (d. 1972)
- 1909Leo Fender, American luthier (d. 1991)
- 1912Jorge Amado, Brazilian novelist (d. 2001)
- 1914Carlos Menditeguy, Argentine racing driver (d. 1973)
- 1947Anwar Ibrahim, Malaysian politician, Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia
- 1962Alan Muraoka, American actor
- 1985Enrico Cortese, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.