August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2019 is the 223rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 3114 BCThe Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used by several pre-Columbian Mesoamerican civilizations, notably the Mayans, begins.
- 106The south-eastern part of Dacia (modern Romania) becomes a Roman province: Roman Dacia.
- 1332Wars of Scottish Independence: Battle of Dupplin Moor – Scots under Domhnall II, Earl of Mar are routed by Edward Balliol.
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1786Captain Francis Light establishes the British colony of Penang in Malaysia.
- 1812Peninsular War: French troops engage British-Portuguese forces in the Battle of Majadahonda.
- 1898Spanish-American War: American troops enter the city of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
- 1942Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a frequency hopping, spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones and Wi-Fi.
- 1975East Timor: Governor Mário Lemos Pires of Portuguese Timor abandons the capital Dili, following a coup by the Timorese Democratic Union (UDT) and the outbreak of civil war between UDT and Fretilin.
- 2003NATO takes over command of the peacekeeping force in Afghanistan, marking its first major operation outside Europe in its 54-year-history.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1913Angus Wilson, British novelist (d. 1991)
- 1943Abigail Folger, American heiress and Manson murder victim (d. 1969)
- 1954Joe Jackson, English singer
- 1963Hiromi Makihara, Japanese baseball player
- 1966Nigel Martyn, English footballer
- 1976Iván Córdoba, Colombian footballer
- 1984Katie Rees, American beauty pageant contestant
- 1984Melky Cabrera, Dominican baseball player
- 1986Richard Keogh, Irish footballer
- 1993Alyson Stoner, American actress, model, singer and dancer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.