August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2019 was the 223rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 355Claudius Silvanus, accused of treason, proclaims himself Roman Emperor against Constantius II.
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1786Captain Francis Light establishes the British colony of Penang in Malaysia.
- 1918World War I: the Battle of Amiens ends.
- 1920The Latvian–Soviet Peace Treaty, which relinquished Russia’s authority and pretenses to Latvia, is signed, ending the Latvian War of Independence.
- 1934The first civilian prisoners arrive at the Federal prison on Alcatraz Island.
- 1942Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a frequency hopping, spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones and Wi-Fi.
- 1947Muhammad Ali Jinnah, founding father of Pakistan, gives a speech to the Constituent Assembly, the contents and meaning of which remain contentious today.
- 1961The former Portuguese territories in India of Dadra and Nagar Haveli are merged to create the Union Territory Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- 1965Race riots (the Watts riots) begin in the Watts area of Los Angeles, California.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1858Christiaan Eijkman, Dutch physician, Nobel Laureate (d. 1930)
- 1923Stan Chambers, American television reporter
- 1926Claus von Bülow, Danish-born British socialite
- 1930Paul Soles, Canadian actor and television personality
- 1964Miguel A. Núñez, Jr., American actor
- 1964Nikki Randall, American pornographic actress
- 1966Nigel Martyn, English footballer
- 1970Teresa Pavlinek, Canadian actress
- 1974Marie-France Dubreuil, Canadian figure skater
- 1980Daniel Lloyd, British cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.