August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2019 is the 223rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 355Claudius Silvanus, accused of treason, proclaims himself Roman Emperor against Constantius II.
- 1332Wars of Scottish Independence: Battle of Dupplin Moor – Scots under Domhnall II, Earl of Mar are routed by Edward Balliol.
- 1858The Eiger in the Bernese Alps is ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren.
- 1920The Latvian–Soviet Peace Treaty, which relinquished Russia’s authority and pretenses to Latvia, is signed, ending the Latvian War of Independence.
- 1942Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a frequency hopping, spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones and Wi-Fi.
- 1960Chad declares independence.
- 1975East Timor: Governor Mário Lemos Pires of Portuguese Timor abandons the capital Dili, following a coup by the Timorese Democratic Union (UDT) and the outbreak of civil war between UDT and Fretilin.
- 1982A bomb explodes on Pan Am Flight 830, en route from Tokyo to Honolulu, killing one teenager and injuring 15 passengers.
- 1999The Salt Lake City Tornado tears through the downtown district of the city, killing one.
- 2003NATO takes over command of the peacekeeping force in Afghanistan, marking its first major operation outside Europe in its 54-year-history.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1913Paul Dupuis, French Canadian actor (d. 1976)
- 1926Aaron Klug, Lithuanian-born British chemist and biophysicist, Nobel Laureate
- 1926Claus von Bülow, Danish-born British socialite
- 1938Branko Stanovnik, Slovenian chemist
- 1939Ronnie Dawson, American rockabilly performer (d. 2003)
- 1948Jan Palach, Czechoslovakian student protester (d. 1969)
- 1953Hulk Hogan, American professional wrestler
- 1964Nikki Randall, American pornographic actress
- 1976Ľubomír Višňovský, Slovak ice hockey player
- 1976Iván Córdoba, Colombian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.