August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2019 is the 223rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 2492 BCTraditional date of the defeat of Bel by Hayk, progenitor and founder of the Armenian nation.
- 106The south-eastern part of Dacia (modern Romania) becomes a Roman province: Roman Dacia.
- 355Claudius Silvanus, accused of treason, proclaims himself Roman Emperor against Constantius II.
- 1332Wars of Scottish Independence: Battle of Dupplin Moor – Scots under Domhnall II, Earl of Mar are routed by Edward Balliol.
- 1898Spanish-American War: American troops enter the city of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
- 1920The Latvian–Soviet Peace Treaty, which relinquished Russia’s authority and pretenses to Latvia, is signed, ending the Latvian War of Independence.
- 1982A bomb explodes on Pan Am Flight 830, en route from Tokyo to Honolulu, killing one teenager and injuring 15 passengers.
- 1999The Salt Lake City Tornado tears through the downtown district of the city, killing one.
- 2003A heat wave in Paris results in temperatures rising to 112 °F, leaving about 144 people dead.
- 2003NATO takes over command of the peacekeeping force in Afghanistan, marking its first major operation outside Europe in its 54-year-history.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1667Anna Maria Luisa de' Medici, Florentine patroness of the arts, the last scion of the House of Medici (d. 1743)
- 1833Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and soldier (d. 1899)
- 1932Israel Harold “Izzy” Asper, Canadian tax lawyer (d. 2003)
- 1932John Gorrie, English director
- 1932Peter Eisenman, American architect
- 1950Gennidy Nikonov, Russian weapon engineer, designer of the AN-94 attack rifle (d. 2003)
- 1957Ian Stuart Donaldson, British singer (Skrewdriver) (d. 1993)
- 1959Gustavo Cerati, Argentinian guitarist and singer-songwriter (Soda Stereo)
- 1968Noordin Mohammad Top, Malaysian Islamist terrorist (d. 2009)
- 1984Katie Rees, American beauty pageant contestant
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.