August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2021 is the 223rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WPKLDPAUOSX? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters WPKLDPAUOSX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 3114 BCThe Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used by several pre-Columbian Mesoamerican civilizations, notably the Mayans, begins.
- 106The south-eastern part of Dacia (modern Romania) becomes a Roman province: Roman Dacia.
- 355Claudius Silvanus, accused of treason, proclaims himself Roman Emperor against Constantius II.
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1858The Eiger in the Bernese Alps is ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren.
- 1942Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a frequency hopping, spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones and Wi-Fi.
- 1961The former Portuguese territories in India of Dadra and Nagar Haveli are merged to create the Union Territory Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- 1965Race riots (the Watts riots) begin in the Watts area of Los Angeles, California.
- 1975East Timor: Governor Mário Lemos Pires of Portuguese Timor abandons the capital Dili, following a coup by the Timorese Democratic Union (UDT) and the outbreak of civil war between UDT and Fretilin.
- 2003The highest temperature ever seen in Great Britain (38.1 °C) is recorded at Gravesend, Kent.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1860Ottó Bláthy, AHungarian electrical engineer (d. 1939)
- 1919Ginette Neveu, French violinist (d. 1949)
- 1921Alex Haley, American historian (d. 1992)
- 1936Andre Dubus, American short-story writer (d. 1999)
- 1957Ian Stuart Donaldson, British singer (Skrewdriver) (d. 1993)
- 1961David Brooks, American journalist and author
- 1969Ashley Jensen, British actress
- 1971Julie Clarke, American model
- 1976Ľubomír Višňovský, Slovak ice hockey player
- 1985J-Boog, American singer (B2K)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.