August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2018 was the 223rd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 2492 BCTraditional date of the defeat of Bel by Hayk, progenitor and founder of the Armenian nation.
- 106The south-eastern part of Dacia (modern Romania) becomes a Roman province: Roman Dacia.
- 1332Wars of Scottish Independence: Battle of Dupplin Moor – Scots under Domhnall II, Earl of Mar are routed by Edward Balliol.
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1812Peninsular War: French troops engage British-Portuguese forces in the Battle of Majadahonda.
- 1947Muhammad Ali Jinnah, founding father of Pakistan, gives a speech to the Constituent Assembly, the contents and meaning of which remain contentious today.
- 1959Sheremetyevo International Airport, the second-largest airport in Russia, opens.
- 1960Chad declares independence.
- 1975East Timor: Governor Mário Lemos Pires of Portuguese Timor abandons the capital Dili, following a coup by the Timorese Democratic Union (UDT) and the outbreak of civil war between UDT and Fretilin.
- 1982A bomb explodes on Pan Am Flight 830, en route from Tokyo to Honolulu, killing one teenager and injuring 15 passengers.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1902Lloyd Nolan, American actor (d. 1985)
- 1938Branko Stanovnik, Slovenian chemist
- 1942Mike Hugg, British drummer, keyboardist and vocalist (Manfred Mann)
- 1957Ian Stuart Donaldson, British singer (Skrewdriver) (d. 1993)
- 1961Craig Ehlo, American basketball player
- 1962Uvais Karnain, Sri Lankan cricketer
- 1965Viola Davis, American actress
- 1980Daniel Lloyd, British cyclist
- 1985J-Boog, American singer (B2K)
- 1986Kaori Fukuhara, Japanese voice actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.