August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2021 is the 223rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EOXOJJK? Check your answers here: Word solver EOXOJJK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 106The south-eastern part of Dacia (modern Romania) becomes a Roman province: Roman Dacia.
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1918World War I: the Battle of Amiens ends.
- 1920The Latvian–Soviet Peace Treaty, which relinquished Russia’s authority and pretenses to Latvia, is signed, ending the Latvian War of Independence.
- 1929Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1942Actress Hedy Lamarr and composer George Antheil receive a patent for a frequency hopping, spread spectrum communication system that later became the basis for modern technologies in wireless telephones and Wi-Fi.
- 1965Race riots (the Watts riots) begin in the Watts area of Los Angeles, California.
- 1972Vietnam War: the last United States ground combat unit leaves South Vietnam.
- 2003A heat wave in Paris results in temperatures rising to 112 °F, leaving about 144 people dead.
- 2003Jemaah Islamiyah leader Riduan Isamuddin, better known as Hambali, is arrested in Bangkok, Thailand.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1878Oliver W F Lodge, English poet and writer (d. 1955)
- 1897Louise Bogan, American poet (d. 1970)
- 1912Eva Ahnert-Rohlfs, German astronomer (d. 1954)
- 1926Claus von Bülow, Danish-born British socialite
- 1951Vincent Bilodeau, Canadian actor and comedian
- 1965Shinji Mikami, Japanese video game designer (Resident Evil)
- 1968Noordin Mohammad Top, Malaysian Islamist terrorist (d. 2009)
- 1976Will Friedle, American actor
- 1977Dênio, Brazilian footballer
- 1987Dany N'Guessan, French footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.