August 11: Day of the Week
August 11, 2020 was the 224th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 142 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BGJDOIVKGUIX? Check your answers here: Word solver BGJDOIVKGUIX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1675Franco-Dutch War: forces of the Holy Roman Empire defeat the French in the Battle of Konzer Brücke.
- 1786Captain Francis Light establishes the British colony of Penang in Malaysia.
- 1898Spanish-American War: American troops enter the city of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
- 1918World War I: the Battle of Amiens ends.
- 1919The constitution of the Weimar Republic is adopted.
- 1929Babe Ruth becomes the first baseball player to hit 500 home runs in his career with a home run at League Park in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1934The first civilian prisoners arrive at the Federal prison on Alcatraz Island.
- 1952Hussein bin Talal is proclaimed King of Jordan.
- 1975East Timor: Governor Mário Lemos Pires of Portuguese Timor abandons the capital Dili, following a coup by the Timorese Democratic Union (UDT) and the outbreak of civil war between UDT and Fretilin.
- 1982A bomb explodes on Pan Am Flight 830, en route from Tokyo to Honolulu, killing one teenager and injuring 15 passengers.
Who were born on August 11?
- 1892Eiji Yoshikawa, Japanese novelist (d. 1962)
- 1900Philip Phillips, American archaeologist (d. 1994)
- 1912Eva Ahnert-Rohlfs, German astronomer (d. 1954)
- 1921Alex Haley, American historian (d. 1992)
- 1927Raymond Leppard, English conductor
- 1949Eric Carmen, American singer and guitarist (Raspberries)
- 1952Bob Mothersbaugh AKA Bob 1, American guitarist (Devo)
- 1971Tommy Mooney, English football player
- 1974Kira Kener, American pornographic actress
- 1980Lee Suggs, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.