August 14: Day of the Week
August 14, 2021 was the 226th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 139 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters NIHUOKTCQZ? Check your answers here: Word finder NIHUOKTCQZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1592Imjin War: Battle of Hansando Admiral Yi Sun-sin decisively defeats the Japanese Navy at Hasan Island.
- 1842Indian Wars: Second Seminole War ends, with the Seminoles forced from Florida to Oklahoma.
- 1848Oregon Territory is organized by act of Congress.
- 1888An audio recording of English composer Arthur Sullivan’s “The Lost Chord”, one of the first recordings of music ever made, is played during a press conference introducing Thomas Edison’s phonograph in London.
- 1901The first claimed powered flight, by Gustave Whitehead in his Number 21.
- 1916Romania declares war on Austro-Hungary, joining the Entente in World War I
- 1945Japan accepts the Allied terms of surrender in World War II and the Emperor records the Imperial Rescript on Surrender (August 15 in Japan standard time).
- 1967UK Marine Broadcasting Offences Act declares participation in offshore pirate radio illegal.
- 1972An East German Ilyushin Il-62 crashes during takeoff from East Berlin, killing 156.
- 2010The first-ever Youth Olympic Games are held in Singapore.
Who were born on August 14?
- 1653Christopher Monck, 2nd Duke of Albemarle, English statesman (d. 1688)
- 1851Yannoulis Chalepas, Greek sculptor (d. 1938)
- 1865Guido Castelnuovo, Italian mathematician (d. 1952)
- 1867John Galsworthy, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1933)
- 1881Francis Ford, American actor (d. 1953)
- 1951Slim Dunlap, American guitarist and singer-songwriter
- 1962Rameez Raja, Pakistani cricketer
- 1970Kevin Cadogan, guitarist and songwriter
- 1974Christopher Gorham, American actor
- 1983Mila Kunis, Ukrainian/American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.