August 14: Day of the Week
August 14, 2020 is the 227th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 139 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Claire’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1816the United Kingdom formally annexed the Tristan da Cunha archipelago, ruling them from the Cape Colony in South Africa.
- 1848Oregon Territory is organized by act of Congress.
- 1888An audio recording of English composer Arthur Sullivan’s “The Lost Chord”, one of the first recordings of music ever made, is played during a press conference introducing Thomas Edison’s phonograph in London.
- 1893France becomes the first country to introduce motor vehicle registration.
- 1901The first claimed powered flight, by Gustave Whitehead in his Number 21.
- 1933Loggers cause a forest fire in the Coast Range of Oregon, later known as the first forest fire of the Tillamook Burn. It is extinguished on September 5, after destroying 240,000 acre.
- 1935United States Social Security Act passes, creating a government pension system for the retired.
- 1972An East German Ilyushin Il-62 crashes during takeoff from East Berlin, killing 156.
- 1973The Pakistani Constitution of 1973 comes into effect.
- 2006Chencholai bombing in which 61 Tamil girls are killed in Sri Lankan Airforce bombing.
Who were born on August 14?
- 1479Princess Catherine of York (d. 1527)
- 1867John Galsworthy, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1933)
- 1932Lee Hoffman, American author (d. 2007)
- 1933Richard R. Ernst, Swiss chemist and Nobel Prize Laureate
- 1940Dash Crofts, American musician
- 1945Steve Martin, American actor and comedian
- 1954Stanley McChrystal, American general
- 1974Ana Matronic, American singer (Scissor Sisters)
- 1978Anastasios Kyriakos, Greek footballer
- 1987Chrystina Sayers, American singer and dancer (Girlicious)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.