August 14: Day of the Week
August 14, 2020 was the 227th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 139 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IUOSGLJICE? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters IUOSGLJICE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1816the United Kingdom formally annexed the Tristan da Cunha archipelago, ruling them from the Cape Colony in South Africa.
- 1842Indian Wars: Second Seminole War ends, with the Seminoles forced from Florida to Oklahoma.
- 1916Romania declares war on Austro-Hungary, joining the Entente in World War I
- 1936Rainey Bethea is hanged in Owensboro, Kentucky in the last public execution in the United States.
- 1959Founding and first official meeting of the American Football League.
- 1969Operation Banner: British troops are deployed in Northern Ireland.
- 1974The second Turkish invasion of Cyprus begins; 140,000 to 200,000 Greek Cypriots become refugees. Elsewhere, 126 Turkish Cypriots are massacred.
- 1994Ilich Ramírez Sánchez, also known as “Carlos the Jackal,” is captured.
- 1996Greek Cypriot refugee Solomos Solomou is murdered by Turkish forces while trying to climb a flagpole in order to remove a Turkish flag from its mast in the United Nations Buffer Zone in Cyprus.
- 2007The 2007 Kahtaniya bombings kills at least 796 people.
Who were born on August 14?
- 1777Hans Christian Ørsted, Danish physicist (d. 1851)
- 1910Pierre Schaeffer, French composer (d. 1995)
- 1915B.A. Santamaria, Australian political activist and journalist (d. 1998)
- 1924Rangjung Rigpe Dorje, 16th Karmapa Lama, Tibetan religious figure (d. 1981)
- 1924Sverre Fehn, Norwegian architect (d. 2009)
- 1953Cliff Johnson, American computer game author
- 1973Kieren Perkins, Australian swimmer
- 1976Maya Nasri, Lebanese actress and singer
- 1986Terin Humphrey, American gymnast
- 1987Tim Tebow, American football player and winner of 2007 Heisman trophy
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.