August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2019 was the 227th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 982Holy Roman Emperor Otto II is defeated by the Saracens in the battle of Capo Colonna, in Calabria
- 1018Byzantine general Eustathios Daphnomeles blinds and captures Ibatzes of Bulgaria by a ruse, thereby ending Bulgarian resistance against Emperor Basil II’s conquest of Bulgaria.
- 1185The cave city of Vardzia is consecrated by Queen Tamar of Georgia.
- 193913 Stukas dive into the ground during a disastrous air-practice at Neuhammer. There are no survivors.
- 1941Corporal Josef Jakobs is executed by firing squad at the Tower of London at 7:12 am, making him the last person to be executed at the Tower for treason.
- 1963Execution of Henry John Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland.
- 1963President Fulbert Youlou is overthrown in the Republic of Congo, after a three-day uprising in the capital.
- 1971Bahrain gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1998Omagh bomb in Northern Ireland, the worst terrorist incident of The Troubles
- 2005Israel’s unilateral disengagement plan to evict all Israelis from the Gaza Strip and from four settlements in the northern West Bank begins.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1769Napoleon Bonaparte, Corsican-born French military officer and Emperor of France (d. 1821)
- 1813Jules Grévy, French statesman (d. 1891)
- 1896Leon Theremin, Russian inventor (d. 1993)
- 1924Werner Abrolat, German actor (d. 1997)
- 1927Eddie Leadbeater, England cricketer (d. 2011)
- 1934Nino Ferrer, French-Italian singer (d. 1998)
- 1938Janusz A. Zajdel, Polish writer
- 1950Tom Kelly, American baseball manager
- 1978Lilia Podkopayeva, Ukrainian gymnast
- 1978Stavros Tziortziopoulos, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.