August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2021 is the 227th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters USGWVANASWE? Check your answers here: Word solver USGWVANASWE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 778The Battle of Roncevaux Pass, at which Roland is killed.
- 1057King Macbeth is killed at the Battle of Lumphanan by the forces of Máel Coluim mac Donnchada.
- 1185The cave city of Vardzia is consecrated by Queen Tamar of Georgia.
- 1483Pope Sixtus IV consecrates the Sistine Chapel.
- 1914A male servant of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright sets fire to the living quarters of the architect’s Wisconsin home, Taliesin, murders seven people and burns the living quarters to the ground.
- 1952A flash flood drenches the town of Lynmouth, England, killing 34 people.
- 1963Execution of Henry John Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland.
- 1965The Beatles play to nearly 60,000 fans at Shea Stadium in New York City, in an event later seen as marking the birth of stadium rock.
- 1971Bahrain gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1984The PKK in Turkey starts a campaign of armed attacks upon the Turkish military
Who were born on August 15?
- 1876Stylianos Gonatas, Greek military officer and politician (d. 1966)
- 1879Ethel Barrymore, American actress (d. 1959)
- 1898Jan Brzechwa, Polish poet (d. 1966)
- 1926Costis Stephanopoulos, Greek politician
- 1926Sami Michael, Iraqi-born Israeli author
- 1930Ageeda Paavel, Estonian freedom fighter
- 1948George Ryton, British engineer
- 1958Rondell Sheridan, American actor and comedian
- 1972Jennifer Alexander, Canadian ballet dancer (d. 2007)
- 1974Tomasz Suwary, Polish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.