August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2020 is the 228th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Franklin’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 982Holy Roman Emperor Otto II is defeated by the Saracens in the battle of Capo Colonna, in Calabria
- 1018Byzantine general Eustathios Daphnomeles blinds and captures Ibatzes of Bulgaria by a ruse, thereby ending Bulgarian resistance against Emperor Basil II’s conquest of Bulgaria.
- 1843The Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace in Honolulu, Hawaii is dedicated. Now the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu, it is the oldest Roman Catholic cathedral in continuous use in the United States.
- 1920Battle of Warsaw so called Miracle at the Vistula.
- 1940An Italian submarine torpedoes and sinks the Greek cruiser Elli at Tinos harbour during peacetime, marking the most serious Italian provocation prior to the outbreak of the Greco-Italian War in October.
- 1961Conrad Schumann flees from East Germany while on duty guarding the construction of the Berlin Wall.
- 1969The Woodstock Music and Art Festival opens.
- 1971Bahrain gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1971President Richard Nixon completes the break from the gold standard by ending convertibility of the United States dollar into gold by foreign investors.
- 1999Beni Ounif massacre in Algeria; some 29 people are killed at a false roadblock near the Moroccan border, leading to temporary tensions with Morocco.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1785Thomas De Quincey, English author (d. 1859)
- 1901Pyotr Novikov, Russian mathematician (d. 1975)
- 1912Julia Child, American cook and TV personality (d. 2004)
- 1919Huntz Hall, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1938Janusz A. Zajdel, Polish writer
- 1942Larry Hartsell, American martial arts instructor (d. 2007)
- 1949Richard Deacon, Welsh sculptor
- 1969Bernard Fanning, Australian singer/songwriter (Powderfinger)
- 1969Kevin Cheng, Hong Kong actor and singer
- 1972Jennifer Alexander, Canadian ballet dancer (d. 2007)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.