August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2021 was the 227th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WYRUWDYOIEE? Check your answers here: Word finder WYRUWDYOIEE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 293 BCThe oldest known Roman temple to Venus is dedicated.
- 1018Byzantine general Eustathios Daphnomeles blinds and captures Ibatzes of Bulgaria by a ruse, thereby ending Bulgarian resistance against Emperor Basil II’s conquest of Bulgaria.
- 1040King Duncan I is killed in battle against his first cousin and rival Macbeth. The latter succeeds him as King of Scotland.
- 1309The city of Rhodes surrenders to the forces of the Knights of St. John, completing their conquest of Rhodes. The knights establish their headquarters on the island and rename themselves the Knights of Rhodes.
- 1540Arequipa, Peru, is founded.
- 1843The Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace in Honolulu, Hawaii is dedicated. Now the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu, it is the oldest Roman Catholic cathedral in continuous use in the United States.
- 1914A male servant of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright sets fire to the living quarters of the architect’s Wisconsin home, Taliesin, murders seven people and burns the living quarters to the ground.
- 1945World War II: Japan surrenders to end the war.
- 1969The Woodstock Music and Art Festival opens.
- 2005Israel’s unilateral disengagement plan to evict all Israelis from the Gaza Strip and from four settlements in the northern West Bank begins.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1785Thomas De Quincey, English author (d. 1859)
- 1914Paul Rand, American graphic designer (d. 1996)
- 1925Bill Pinkney, American baritone singer (d. 2007)
- 1930Ageeda Paavel, Estonian freedom fighter
- 1934Bobby Byrd, American soul/funk singer (d. 2007)
- 1934Nino Ferrer, French-Italian singer (d. 1998)
- 1947Raakhee Gulzar, Indian actress
- 1970Maddie Corman, American actress
- 1973Adnan Sami, British-born Pakastani music composer and singer
- 1975Brendan Morrison, Canadian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.