August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2019 is the 227th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 982Holy Roman Emperor Otto II is defeated by the Saracens in the battle of Capo Colonna, in Calabria
- 1185The cave city of Vardzia is consecrated by Queen Tamar of Georgia.
- 1519Panama City, Panama, is founded.
- 1534Saint Ignatius of Loyola and six classmates take initial vows, leading to the creation of the Society of Jesus in September 1540.
- 1843Tivoli Gardens, one of the oldest still intact amusement parks in the world, opens in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- 1907Ordination in Constantinople of Fr. Raphael Morgan, first African-American Orthodox priest, “Priest-Apostolic” to America and the West Indies.
- 1962James Joseph Dresnok defects to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea after running across the Korean DMZ. Dresnok still resides in the capital, Pyongyang.
- 1971Bahrain gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1973Vietnam War: The United States bombing of Cambodia ends.
- 1975Miki Takeo makes the first official pilgrimage to Yasukuni Shrine by an incumbent prime minister on the anniversary of the end of World War II.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1896Gerty Cori, Austrian biochemist, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1957)
- 1917Óscar Romero, El Salvadorian Roman Catholic priest (d. 1980)
- 1926Costis Stephanopoulos, Greek politician
- 1945Duffy Dyer, American baseball player
- 1951Bobby Caldwell, American singer and musician
- 1957Željko Ivanek, Slovenian-American actor
- 1961Gary Kubiak, American football coach
- 1968Debra Messing, American actress
- 1972Jennifer Alexander, Canadian ballet dancer (d. 2007)
- 1989Joe Jonas, American actor and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.