August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2019 is the 227th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 293 BCThe oldest known Roman temple to Venus is dedicated.
- 1040King Duncan I is killed in battle against his first cousin and rival Macbeth. The latter succeeds him as King of Scotland.
- 1519Panama City, Panama, is founded.
- 1534Saint Ignatius of Loyola and six classmates take initial vows, leading to the creation of the Society of Jesus in September 1540.
- 1869The Meiji government in Japan establishes six new ministries, including one for Shinto.
- 1920Battle of Warsaw so called Miracle at the Vistula.
- 1940An Italian submarine torpedoes and sinks the Greek cruiser Elli at Tinos harbour during peacetime, marking the most serious Italian provocation prior to the outbreak of the Greco-Italian War in October.
- 1942World War II: Operation Pedestal – The SS Ohio reaches the island of Malta barely afloat carrying vital fuel supplies for the island’s defenses.
- 1947Founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah is sworn in as first Governor General of Pakistan in Karachi.
- 1971President Richard Nixon completes the break from the gold standard by ending convertibility of the United States dollar into gold by foreign investors.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1858E. Nesbit, English author (d. 1924)
- 1876Stylianos Gonatas, Greek military officer and politician (d. 1966)
- 1877Tachiyama Mineemon, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 22nd Yokozuna (d. 1941)
- 1898Jan Brzechwa, Polish poet (d. 1966)
- 1923Rose Marie, American actress
- 1927Eddie Leadbeater, England cricketer (d. 2011)
- 1938Janusz A. Zajdel, Polish writer
- 1949Richard Deacon, Welsh sculptor
- 1961Ed Gillespie, American White House counsel to George W. Bush
- 1981Oliver Perez, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.