August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2021 is the 227th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AOLOGRJECBFN? Check your answers here: Word finder AOLOGRJECBFN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1185The cave city of Vardzia is consecrated by Queen Tamar of Georgia.
- 1248The foundation stone of Cologne Cathedral, built to house the relics of the Three Wise Men, is laid. (Construction is eventually completed in 1880.)
- 1281Mongol invasion of Japan: The Mongolian fleet of Kublai Khan is destroyed by a “divine wind” for the second time in the Battle of Kōan.
- 1517Seven Portuguese armed vessels led by Fernão Pires de Andrade meet Chinese officials at the Pearl River estuary.
- 1519Panama City, Panama, is founded.
- 1549Jesuit priest Saint Francis Xavier comes ashore at Kagoshima (Traditional Japanese date: July 22, 1549).
- 1869The Meiji government in Japan establishes six new ministries, including one for Shinto.
- 1920Battle of Warsaw so called Miracle at the Vistula.
- 1963Execution of Henry John Burnett, the last man to be hanged in Scotland.
- 2007An 8.0-magnitude earthquake off the Pacific coast devastates Ica and various regions of Peru killing 514 and injuring 1,090.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1613Gilles Ménage, French scholar (d. 1692)
- 1860Florence Harding, American First Lady (d. 1924)
- 1863Alexei Krylov, Russian engineer and mathematician (d. 1945)
- 1930Ageeda Paavel, Estonian freedom fighter
- 1940Gudrun Ensslin, German terrorist (d. 1977)
- 1945Duffy Dyer, American baseball player
- 1954Stieg Larsson, Swedish writer (d. 2004)
- 1958Rondell Sheridan, American actor and comedian
- 1970Anthony Anderson, American comedian and actor
- 1982Casey Burgener, American weightlifter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.