August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2022 is the 227th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QXIANWZHUH? Check your answers here: Words with these letters QXIANWZHUH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 293 BCThe oldest known Roman temple to Venus is dedicated.
- 778The Battle of Roncevaux Pass, at which Roland is killed.
- 1695French forces end the Bombardment of Brussels, leaving a third of the buildings in the city in ruins.
- 1863The Anglo-Satsuma War begins between the Satsuma Domain of Japan and the United Kingdom (Traditional Japanese date: July 2, 1863).
- 1920Battle of Warsaw so called Miracle at the Vistula.
- 1935Will Rogers and Wiley Post are killed after their aircraft develops engine problems during takeoff in Barrow, Alaska.
- 193913 Stukas dive into the ground during a disastrous air-practice at Neuhammer. There are no survivors.
- 1969The Woodstock Music and Art Festival opens.
- 1973Vietnam War: The United States bombing of Cambodia ends.
- 1995In South Carolina, Shannon Faulkner becomes the first female cadet matriculated at The Citadel (she drops out less than a week later).
Who were born on August 15?
- 1171King Alfonso IX of Leon (d. 1230)
- 1785Thomas De Quincey, English author (d. 1859)
- 1859Charles Comiskey, American baseball owner (d. 1931)
- 1860Henrietta Vinton Davis, American elocutionist (d. 1941)
- 1872Sri Aurobindo, Indian writer and philosopher (d. 1950)
- 1877Tachiyama Mineemon, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 22nd Yokozuna (d. 1941)
- 1945Duffy Dyer, American baseball player
- 1957Željko Ivanek, Slovenian-American actor
- 1974Tomasz Suwary, Polish footballer
- 1975Kara Wolters, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.