August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2023 is the 227th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MEINOKRI? Check your answers here: Word finder MEINOKRI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1040King Duncan I is killed in battle against his first cousin and rival Macbeth. The latter succeeds him as King of Scotland.
- 1309The city of Rhodes surrenders to the forces of the Knights of St. John, completing their conquest of Rhodes. The knights establish their headquarters on the island and rename themselves the Knights of Rhodes.
- 1511Afonso de Albuquerque of Portugal conquers Malacca, the capital of the Sultanate of Malacca.
- 1549Jesuit priest Saint Francis Xavier comes ashore at Kagoshima (Traditional Japanese date: July 22, 1549).
- 1695French forces end the Bombardment of Brussels, leaving a third of the buildings in the city in ruins.
- 193913 Stukas dive into the ground during a disastrous air-practice at Neuhammer. There are no survivors.
- 1941Corporal Josef Jakobs is executed by firing squad at the Tower of London at 7:12 am, making him the last person to be executed at the Tower for treason.
- 1947India gains Independence from the British Indian Empire and joins the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1971President Richard Nixon completes the break from the gold standard by ending convertibility of the United States dollar into gold by foreign investors.
- 2005Israel’s unilateral disengagement plan to evict all Israelis from the Gaza Strip and from four settlements in the northern West Bank begins.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1844Thomas-Alfred Bernier, Canadian journalist and politician (d. 1908)
- 1898Jan Brzechwa, Polish poet (d. 1966)
- 1909Hugo Winterhalter, American composer and bandleader (d. 1973)
- 1925Mike Connors, American actor
- 1933Jim Lange, American game show host
- 1934Nino Ferrer, French-Italian singer (d. 1998)
- 1947Jenny Hanley, British TV presenter
- 1967Peter Hermann American actor
- 1977Nicole Paggi, American actress
- 1978Kerri Walsh, American beach volleyball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.