August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2018 was the 227th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1248The foundation stone of Cologne Cathedral, built to house the relics of the Three Wise Men, is laid. (Construction is eventually completed in 1880.)
- 1261Michael VIII Palaeologus is crowned Byzantine emperor in Constantinople.
- 1281Mongol invasion of Japan: The Mongolian fleet of Kublai Khan is destroyed by a “divine wind” for the second time in the Battle of Kōan.
- 1914The First Russian Army, led by Pavel Rennenkampf, enters Eastern Prussia.
- 1973Vietnam War: The United States bombing of Cambodia ends.
- 1975Bangladesh’s founder Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is killed along with most members of his family during a military coup.
- 1977The Big Ear, a radio telescope operated by Ohio State University as part of the SETI project, receives a radio signal from deep space; the event is named the “Wow! signal” from the notation made by a volunteer on the project.
- 1995In South Carolina, Shannon Faulkner becomes the first female cadet matriculated at The Citadel (she drops out less than a week later).
- 1998Omagh bomb in Northern Ireland, the worst terrorist incident of The Troubles
- 2005Israel’s unilateral disengagement plan to evict all Israelis from the Gaza Strip and from four settlements in the northern West Bank begins.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1844Thomas-Alfred Bernier, Canadian journalist and politician (d. 1908)
- 1858E. Nesbit, English author (d. 1924)
- 1910Signe Hasso, Swedish actress (d. 2002)
- 1922Giorgos Mouzakis, Greek songwriter and musician (d. 2005)
- 1949Richard Deacon, Welsh sculptor
- 1957Željko Ivanek, Slovenian-American actor
- 1969Bernard Fanning, Australian singer/songwriter (Powderfinger)
- 1973Adnan Sami, British-born Pakastani music composer and singer
- 1974Tomasz Suwary, Polish footballer
- 1980Nathalie Press, English actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.