August 15: Day of the Week
August 15, 2021 is the 227th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 138 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UUXWUYCHJHQ? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UUXWUYCHJHQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 15 Historical Event(s)
- 778The Battle of Roncevaux Pass, at which Roland is killed.
- 1185The cave city of Vardzia is consecrated by Queen Tamar of Georgia.
- 1914A male servant of American architect Frank Lloyd Wright sets fire to the living quarters of the architect’s Wisconsin home, Taliesin, murders seven people and burns the living quarters to the ground.
- 1914The Panama Canal opens to traffic with the transit of the cargo ship SS Ancon.
- 1920Battle of Warsaw so called Miracle at the Vistula.
- 1942World War II: Operation Pedestal – The SS Ohio reaches the island of Malta barely afloat carrying vital fuel supplies for the island’s defenses.
- 1944World War II: Operation Dragoon – Allied forces land in southern France.
- 1947Founder of Pakistan, Muhammad Ali Jinnah is sworn in as first Governor General of Pakistan in Karachi.
- 1960Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville) becomes independent from France.
- 2007An 8.0-magnitude earthquake off the Pacific coast devastates Ica and various regions of Peru killing 514 and injuring 1,090.
Who were born on August 15?
- 1857Albert Ballin, German shipping tycoon (d. 1918)
- 1892Louis, 7th duc de Broglie, French physicist, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1987)
- 1896Leon Theremin, Russian inventor (d. 1993)
- 1924Robert Bolt, English playwright and screenwriter (d. 1995)
- 1934Bobby Byrd, American soul/funk singer (d. 2007)
- 1950Anne, Princess Royal of the United Kingdom
- 1958Craig MacTavish, Canadian ice hockey player/coach
- 1972Matthew Wood, American actor and sound editor
- 1973Adam Willard, American musician (The Offspring)
- 1977Martin Biron, Canadian ice hockey goaltender
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.