August 18: Day of the Week
August 18, 2020 is the 231st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 135 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hannah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1587Virginia Dare, granddaughter of governor John White of the Colony of Roanoke, becomes the first English child born in the Americas.
- 1590John White, the governor of the Colony of Roanoke, returns from a supply trip to England and finds his settlement deserted.
- 1868French astronomer Pierre Jules César Janssen discovers helium.
- 1903German engineer Karl Jatho allegedly flies his self-made, motored gliding airplane four months before the first flight of the Wright Brothers.
- 1938The Thousand Islands Bridge, connecting New York State, United States with Ontario, Canada over the St. Lawrence River, is dedicated by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1950Julien Lahaut, the chairman of the Communist Party of Belgium is assassinated by far-right elements.
- 1965Vietnam War: Operation Starlite begins – United States Marines destroy a Viet Cong stronghold on the Van Tuong peninsula in the first major American ground battle of the war.
- 2000A federal jury finds the US EPA guilty of discrimination against Dr. Marsha Coleman-Adebayo, under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, later inspiring passage of the No FEAR Act.
- 2005A Massive power blackout hits the Indonesian island of Java, affecting almost 100 million people, the largest and most widespread power outage in history.
- 2011The West Memphis Three are released from prison after 18 years in imprisonment.
Who were born on August 18?
- 1855Alfred Wallis, English artist and mariner (d. 1942)
- 1919Walter Joseph Hickel, 2nd and 8th Governor of Alaska (d. 2010)
- 1921Zdzisław Żygulski, Jr., Polish art historian
- 1952Elayne Boosler, American comedian
- 1955Taher ElGamal, Egyptian scientist
- 1959Tom Prichard, American wrestler
- 1961Bob Woodruff, American journalist, anchor
- 1970Jessica Hsuan, Hong Kong actress
- 1972Shaun Wilson, Australian artist
- 1985Bryan Ruiz, Costa Rican footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.