August 18: Day of the Week
August 18, 2021 is the 230th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 135 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OTWUCAU? Check your answers here: Word scramble OTWUCAU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1201The city of Riga is founded.
- 1634Urbain Grandier, accused and convicted of sorcery, is burned alive in Loudun, France.
- 1783A huge fireball meteor is seen across the United Kingdom as it passes over the east coast.
- 1877Asaph Hall discovers Martian moon Phobos.
- 1903German engineer Karl Jatho allegedly flies his self-made, motored gliding airplane four months before the first flight of the Wright Brothers.
- 1938The Thousand Islands Bridge, connecting New York State, United States with Ontario, Canada over the St. Lawrence River, is dedicated by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1958Vladimir Nabokov’s controversial novel Lolita is published in the United States.
- 1977Steve Biko is arrested at a police roadblock under the Terrorism Act No 83 of 1967 in King William’s Town, South Africa. He would later die of the injuries sustained during this arrest bringing attention to South Africa’s apartheid policies.
- 2000A federal jury finds the US EPA guilty of discrimination against Dr. Marsha Coleman-Adebayo, under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, later inspiring passage of the No FEAR Act.
- 2005A Massive power blackout hits the Indonesian island of Java, affecting almost 100 million people, the largest and most widespread power outage in history.
Who were born on August 18?
- 1834Marshall Field, American retailer(d. 1906)
- 1857Libert H. Boeynaems, Belgian Catholic prelate (d. 1926)
- 1893Ernest MacMillan, Canadian musician (d. 1973)
- 1920Shelley Winters, American actress (d. 2006)
- 1927Rosalynn Carter, First Lady of the United States
- 1939Harald Heide-Steen Jr., Norwegian actor and comedian (d. 2008)
- 1952Patrick Swayze, American actor (d. 2009)
- 1960Fat Lever, American basketball player
- 1980Esteban Cambiasso, Argentine footballer
- 1981Dimitris Salpigidis, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.