August 19: Day of the Week
August 19, 2021 is the 231st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 134 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XDAEUFXGZUWS? Check your answers here: Words with these letters XDAEUFXGZUWS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1666Second Anglo-Dutch War: Rear Admiral Robert Holmes leads a raid on the Dutch island of Terschelling, destroying 150 merchant ships, an act later known as “Holmes’s Bonfire”.
- 1745Prince Charles Edward Stuart raises his standard in Glenfinnan – the start of the Second Jacobite Rebellion, known as “the 45”.
- 1759Battle of Lagos Naval battle during the Seven Year’s War between Britain and France.
- 1813Gervasio Antonio de Posadas joins Argentina’s Second Triumvirate.
- 1934The first All-American Soap Box Derby is held in Dayton, Ohio.
- 1940First flight of the B-25 Mitchell medium bomber.
- 1944World War II: Liberation of Paris – Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- 1953Cold War: The CIA and MI6 help to overthrow the government of Mohammed Mossadegh in Iran and reinstate the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- 1987Hungerford Massacre: in the United Kingdom, Michael Ryan kills sixteen people with an assault rifle and then commits suicide.
- 1989Several hundred East Germans cross the frontier between Hungary and Austria during the Pan-European Picnic, part of the events which began the process of the Fall of the Berlin Wall.
Who were born on August 19?
- 1557Frederick I, Duke of Württemberg (d. 1608)
- 1743Madame du Barry, French courtesan (d. 1793)
- 1902J. B. L. Reyes, Filipino jurist (d. 1994)
- 1907Thruston B. Morton, American politician (d. 1982)
- 1914Lajos Baróti, Hungarian footballer (d. 2005)
- 1951Gustavo Santaolalla, Argentine film composer
- 1958Anthony Muñoz, American football player
- 1959Ricky Pierce, American basketball player
- 1962Valérie Kaprisky, French actress
- 1980Michael Todd, American musician (Coheed and Cambria)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.