August 19: Day of the Week
August 19, 2020 was the 232nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 134 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UYOUMTOOZ? Check your answers here: Word solver UYOUMTOOZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1561An 18-year-old Mary, Queen of Scots, returns to Scotland after spending 13 years in France.
- 1772Gustavus III of Sweden stages a Coup d'état, in which he assumes power and enacts a new constitution that divides power between the Riksdag and the King.
- 1934The creation of the position Führer is approved by the German electorate with 89.9% of the popular vote.
- 1944World War II: Liberation of Paris – Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- 1945Vietnam War: Viet Minh led by Ho Chi Minh take power in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- 1953Cold War: The CIA and MI6 help to overthrow the government of Mohammed Mossadegh in Iran and reinstate the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- 1960Cold War: in Moscow, downed American U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers is sentenced to ten years imprisonment by the Soviet Union for espionage.
- 1965Japanese prime minister Eisaku Sato becomes the first post-World War II sitting prime minister to visit Okinawa.
- 1989Polish president Wojciech Jaruzelski nominates Solidarity activist Tadeusz Mazowiecki to be the first non-communist Prime Minister in 42 years.
- 1989Several hundred East Germans cross the frontier between Hungary and Austria during the Pan-European Picnic, part of the events which began the process of the Fall of the Berlin Wall.
Who were born on August 19?
- 1631John Dryden, English poet (d. 1700)
- 1646John Flamsteed, first English Astronomer Royal (d. 1719)
- 1689Samuel Richardson, English writer (d. 1761)
- 1875Stjepan Seljan, Croatian explorer (d. 1936)
- 1900Gontran de Poncins, French writer and adventurer (d. 1962)
- 1907Thruston B. Morton, American politician (d. 1982)
- 1965Kyra Sedgwick, American actress
- 1969Kirk Herbstreit, American football analyst (College GameDay)
- 1980Houcine Camara, French singer
- 1984Ryan Taylor, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.