August 19: Day of the Week
August 19, 2021 is the 231st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 134 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TWDCMDOJEEOEZ? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters TWDCMDOJEEOEZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1612The “Samlesbury witches”, three women from the Lancashire village of Samlesbury, England, are put on trial, accused for practicing witchcraft, one of the most famous witch trials in English history.
- 1768Saint Isaac’s Cathedral is founded in Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- 1821Greek rebels massacre all the population of Navarino.
- 1861First ascent of Weisshorn, fifth highest summit in the Alps.
- 1895American frontier murderer and outlaw, John Wesley Hardin, is killed by an off-duty policeman in a saloon in El Paso, Texas.
- 1953Cold War: The CIA and MI6 help to overthrow the government of Mohammed Mossadegh in Iran and reinstate the Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
- 1960Sputnik program: Sputnik 5 – the Soviet Union launches the satellite with the dogs Belka and Strelka, 40 mice, 2 rats and a variety of plants.
- 1989Several hundred East Germans cross the frontier between Hungary and Austria during the Pan-European Picnic, part of the events which began the process of the Fall of the Berlin Wall.
- 2005A series of strong storms lashes Southern Ontario spawning several tornadoes as well as creating extreme flash flooding within the city of Toronto and its surrounding communities. In Toronto, it is also dubbed as the Toronto Supercell.
- 2009A series of bombings in Baghdad, Iraq, kills 101 and injures 565 others.
Who were born on August 19?
- 1849Joaquim Nabuco, Brazilian writer, statesman, and abolitionist (d. 1910)
- 1853Aleksei Brusilov, Russian general (d. 1926)
- 1900Colleen Moore, American film actress.(d. 1988)
- 1907Archie League, generally considered the first air traffic controller (d. 1986)
- 1930Frank McCourt, Irish-American author (d. 2009)
- 1957Ian Gould, England cricketer
- 1957Martin Donovan, American actor
- 1968Nikolaos Kaklamanakis, Greek windsurfer
- 1984Ryan Taylor, English footballer
- 1987Richard Stearman, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.