August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2017 was the 233rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1770James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1772King Gustav III completes his coup d'état by adopting a new Constitution, ending half a century of parliamentary rule in Sweden and installing himself as an enlightened despot.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British forces begin besieging the French outpost at Pondicherry.
- 1852Tlingit Indians destroy Fort Selkirk, Yukon Territory.
- 1911The Mona Lisa is stolen by a Louvre employee.
- 1944Dumbarton Oaks Conference, prelude to the United Nations, begins.
- 1961Motown releases what would be its first #1 hit, “Please Mr. Postman” by The Marvelettes.
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
- 1983Philippine opposition leader Benigno Aquino, Jr. is assassinated at the Manila International Airport (now renamed Ninoy Aquino International Airport).
- 2001The Red Cross announces that a famine is striking Tajikistan, and calls for international financial aid for Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1670James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick, French military leader (d. 1734)
- 1906Friz Freleng, American movie animator (d. 1995)
- 1918Billy Reay, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2004)
- 1943Hugh Wilson, American director, writer and actor
- 1954Chip Coffey, American psychic, medium and television personality.
- 1961David Morales, American disc jockey
- 1961V. B. Chandrasekhar, Indian cricketer
- 1963King Mohammed VI of Morocco
- 1966John Wetteland, Major League Baseball player
- 1973Nikolay Valuev, Russian boxer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.