August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2019 is the 233rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1192Minamoto Yoritomo becomes Seii Tai Shōgun and the de facto ruler of Japan. (Traditional Japanese date: July 12, 1192)
- 1680Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt.
- 1772King Gustav III completes his coup d'état by adopting a new Constitution, ending half a century of parliamentary rule in Sweden and installing himself as an enlightened despot.
- 1888The first successful adding machine in the United States is patented by William Seward Burroughs.
- 1942World War II: a Nazi flag is installed atop the Mount Elbrus.
- 1963Xa Loi Pagoda raids: the Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalises Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- 1969An Australian, Michael Dennis Rohan, sets the Al-Aqsa Mosque on fire, a major catalyst of the formation of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
- 1991Coup attempt against Mikhail Gorbachev collapses.
- 1991Latvia declares renewal of its full independence after the occupation of Soviet Union.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1878Richard Girulatis, German football manager (d. 1963)
- 1920Christopher Robin Milne, inspiration for the Winnie-the-Pooh stories (d. 1996)
- 1925Judy Grable, American professional wrestler (d. 2008)
- 1928Bud McFadin, American football player (d. 2006)
- 1933Michael Dacher, German mountaineer (d. 1994)
- 1951Harry Smith, American television journalist
- 1978Jason Marquis, American baseball player
- 1979Kelis Rogers-Jones, American singer
- 1981Tyler Winklevoss, American Rower and Entrepeneur
- 1984Melissa Schuman, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.