August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2020 is the 234th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kelley’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1689The Battle of Dunkeld in Scotland.
- 1852Tlingit Indians destroy Fort Selkirk, Yukon Territory.
- 1863Lawrence, Kansas is destroyed by Confederate guerrillas Quantrill’s Raiders in the Lawrence Massacre.
- 1911The Mona Lisa is stolen by a Louvre employee.
- 1918World War I: The Second Battle of the Somme begins.
- 1959President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union. Hawaii’s admission is currently commemorated by Hawaii Admission Day
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
- 1983Philippine opposition leader Benigno Aquino, Jr. is assassinated at the Manila International Airport (now renamed Ninoy Aquino International Airport).
- 1986Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range.
- 2001The Red Cross announces that a famine is striking Tajikistan, and calls for international financial aid for Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1879Claude Grahame-White, British pioneer aviator and builder (d. 1959)
- 1937Donald Dewar, First Minister of Scotland (d. 2000)
- 1951Harry Smith, American television journalist
- 1954Chip Coffey, American psychic, medium and television personality.
- 1983Brody Jenner, American actor
- 1987Kim Kibum, a member of Korean boy band Super junior. actor and singer
- 1988Louise Setara, English singer-songwriter
- 1988Paris Bennett, American singer and finalist on American Idol (season 5)
- 1989Hayden Panettiere, American actress, model and singer
- 1992Brad Kavanagh, English songwriter and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.