August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2018 was the 233rd day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1680Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British forces begin besieging the French outpost at Pondicherry.
- 1808Battle of Vimeiro: British and Portuguese forces led by General Arthur Wellesley defeat French force under Major-General Jean-Andoche Junot near the village of Vimeiro, Portugal, the first Anglo-Portuguese victory of the Peninsular War.
- 1911The Mona Lisa is stolen by a Louvre employee.
- 1942World War II: a Nazi flag is installed atop the Mount Elbrus.
- 1942World War II: the Guadalcanal campaign: American forces defeat an attack by Imperial Japanese Army soldiers in the Battle of the Tenaru.
- 1944Dumbarton Oaks Conference, prelude to the United Nations, begins.
- 1963Xa Loi Pagoda raids: the Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalises Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- 1968James Anderson, Jr. posthumously receives the first Medal of Honor to be awarded to an African American U.S. Marine.
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1665Giacomo F. Maraldi, French-Italian astronomer (d. 1729)
- 1801Guillaume Groen van Prinsterer, Dutch politician (d. 1876)
- 1934Sudhakarrao Naik, Indian politician( d. 2001)
- 1965Jim Bullinger, American baseball player
- 1970Craig Counsell, American baseball player
- 1976Nikos Vertis, Greek singer
- 1983Josh Harrington, American professional BMX rider
- 1984Neil Dexter, South African cricketer
- 1989Judd Trump, English snooker player
- 1996Jamia Simone Nash, American singer and actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.