August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2020 is the 234th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Leroy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1680Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt.
- 1770James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1772King Gustav III completes his coup d'état by adopting a new Constitution, ending half a century of parliamentary rule in Sweden and installing himself as an enlightened despot.
- 1945Physicist Harry K. Daghlian, Jr. is fatally irradiated in a criticality incident during an experiment with the Demon core at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1963Xa Loi Pagoda raids: the Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalises Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
- 1976Operation Paul Bunyan at Panmunjeom, Korea.
- 1983Philippine opposition leader Benigno Aquino, Jr. is assassinated at the Manila International Airport (now renamed Ninoy Aquino International Airport).
- 1986Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range.
- 1991Latvia declares renewal of its full independence after the occupation of Soviet Union.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1670James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick, French military leader (d. 1734)
- 1912Hector “Toe” Blake, Canadian ice hockey player and coach (d. 1995)
- 1934Paul Panhuysen, Dutch composer, visual and sound artist
- 1952Joe Strummer, British musician and singer (The Clash) (d. 2002)
- 1963King Mohammed VI of Morocco
- 1970Nathan Jones, American professional wrestler
- 1981Jarrod Lyle, Australian Golfer
- 1981Tyler Winklevoss, American Rower and Entrepeneur
- 1983Josh Harrington, American professional BMX rider
- 1986Wout Brama, Dutch international footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.