August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2019 was the 233rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Eva’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1192Minamoto Yoritomo becomes Seii Tai Shōgun and the de facto ruler of Japan. (Traditional Japanese date: July 12, 1192)
- 1680Pueblo Indians capture Santa Fe from Spanish during the Pueblo Revolt.
- 1810Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, Marshal of France, is elected Crown Prince of Sweden by the Swedish Riksdag of the Estates.
- 1852Tlingit Indians destroy Fort Selkirk, Yukon Territory.
- 1863Lawrence, Kansas is destroyed by Confederate guerrillas Quantrill’s Raiders in the Lawrence Massacre.
- 1959President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order proclaiming Hawaii the 50th state of the union. Hawaii’s admission is currently commemorated by Hawaii Admission Day
- 1963Xa Loi Pagoda raids: the Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalises Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- 1968Soviet Union-dominated Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring; on the same day, Nicolae Ceauşescu, leader of Communist Romania, publicly condemns the Soviet maneuver, encouraging the Romanian population to arm itself against possible Soviet reprisals.
- 1979Soviet dancer Alexander Godunov defects to the United States.
- 2001NATO decides to send a peace-keeping force to the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1597Roger Twysden, English antiquarian and royalist (d. 1672)
- 1665Giacomo F. Maraldi, French-Italian astronomer (d. 1729)
- 1813Jean Stas, Belgian chemist (d. 1891)
- 1929X. J. Kennedy, American poet
- 1950Arthur Bremer, American criminal, who shot George C Wallace in May 1972.
- 1961David Morales, American disc jockey
- 1961V. B. Chandrasekhar, Indian cricketer
- 1969Josée Chouinard, Canadian figure skater
- 1978Alan Lee, Irish footballer
- 1981Jarrod Lyle, Australian Golfer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.