August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2021 is the 233rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ISYUIGSPENA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters ISYUIGSPENA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1770James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1772King Gustav III completes his coup d'état by adopting a new Constitution, ending half a century of parliamentary rule in Sweden and installing himself as an enlightened despot.
- 1808Battle of Vimeiro: British and Portuguese forces led by General Arthur Wellesley defeat French force under Major-General Jean-Andoche Junot near the village of Vimeiro, Portugal, the first Anglo-Portuguese victory of the Peninsular War.
- 1852Tlingit Indians destroy Fort Selkirk, Yukon Territory.
- 1911The Mona Lisa is stolen by a Louvre employee.
- 1942World War II: the Guadalcanal campaign: American forces defeat an attack by Imperial Japanese Army soldiers in the Battle of the Tenaru.
- 1969An Australian, Michael Dennis Rohan, sets the Al-Aqsa Mosque on fire, a major catalyst of the formation of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
- 1979Soviet dancer Alexander Godunov defects to the United States.
- 2001The Red Cross announces that a famine is striking Tajikistan, and calls for international financial aid for Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1597Roger Twysden, English antiquarian and royalist (d. 1672)
- 1947Sándor Erdős, Hungarian fencer
- 1952Keith Hart, Canadian professional wrestler
- 1966John Wetteland, Major League Baseball player
- 1967Serj Tankian, Armenian-born singer (System of a Down)
- 1976Jeff Cunningham, Jamaican American soccer player
- 1981Collie Buddz, (Colin Harper) Reggae & Dancehall artist
- 1983Brody Jenner, American actor
- 1990Bo Burnham, American comedic singer-songwriter and Internet Celebrity
- 1996Jamia Simone Nash, American singer and actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.