August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2017 was the 233rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1192Minamoto Yoritomo becomes Seii Tai Shōgun and the de facto ruler of Japan. (Traditional Japanese date: July 12, 1192)
- 1770James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1772King Gustav III completes his coup d'état by adopting a new Constitution, ending half a century of parliamentary rule in Sweden and installing himself as an enlightened despot.
- 1852Tlingit Indians destroy Fort Selkirk, Yukon Territory.
- 1888The first successful adding machine in the United States is patented by William Seward Burroughs.
- 1944Dumbarton Oaks Conference, prelude to the United Nations, begins.
- 1969An Australian, Michael Dennis Rohan, sets the Al-Aqsa Mosque on fire, a major catalyst of the formation of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
- 1979Soviet dancer Alexander Godunov defects to the United States.
- 1992Ruby Ridge Standoff in Idaho
- 2001The Red Cross announces that a famine is striking Tajikistan, and calls for international financial aid for Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1643King Afonso VI of Portugal (d. 1683)
- 1826Karl Gegenbaur, German anatomist (d. 1903)
- 1952Glenn Hughes, British bassist and vocalist (Finders Keepers/Trapeze/Deep Purple)
- 1961David Morales, American disc jockey
- 1962Tsutomu Miyazaki Japanese Serial killer (d. 2008)
- 1976Alex Brooks, American ice hockey player
- 1978Bhumika Chawla, Indian Actress
- 1978Lee Gronkiewicz, American baseball player
- 1987Kim Kibum, a member of Korean boy band Super junior. actor and singer
- 1990Fabian Heimpel, German rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.