August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2020 was the 234th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PCIAPEDDEWA? Check your answers here: Word finder PCIAPEDDEWA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1689The Battle of Dunkeld in Scotland.
- 1831Nat Turner leads black slaves and free blacks in a rebellion.
- 1863Lawrence, Kansas is destroyed by Confederate guerrillas Quantrill’s Raiders in the Lawrence Massacre.
- 1879The Virgin Mary, along with St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist, reportedly appears at Knock Shrine in Knock, County Mayo, Ireland.
- 1888The first successful adding machine in the United States is patented by William Seward Burroughs.
- 1942World War II: a Nazi flag is installed atop the Mount Elbrus.
- 1944Dumbarton Oaks Conference, prelude to the United Nations, begins.
- 1969An Australian, Michael Dennis Rohan, sets the Al-Aqsa Mosque on fire, a major catalyst of the formation of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
- 1986Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range.
- 2001NATO decides to send a peace-keeping force to the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1798Jules Michelet, French historian (d. 1874)
- 1920Christopher Robin Milne, inspiration for the Winnie-the-Pooh stories (d. 1996)
- 1924Jack Weston, American actor (d. 1996)
- 1933Janet Baker, English mezzo-soprano
- 1951Char Margolis, American medium
- 1953Ivan Stang, American writer
- 1956Kim Cattrall, English-born actress
- 1965Caryn Mower, American actress, stuntwoman and former professional wrestler
- 1975Alicia Witt, American actress
- 1978Alan Lee, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.