August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2021 is the 233rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZUEYUAXGA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters ZUEYUAXGA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1770James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1810Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, Marshal of France, is elected Crown Prince of Sweden by the Swedish Riksdag of the Estates.
- 1863Lawrence, Kansas is destroyed by Confederate guerrillas Quantrill’s Raiders in the Lawrence Massacre.
- 1918World War I: The Second Battle of the Somme begins.
- 1944Dumbarton Oaks Conference, prelude to the United Nations, begins.
- 1944World War II: Canadian and Polish units capture the strategically important town of Falaise, France.
- 1963Xa Loi Pagoda raids: the Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalises Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- 1971A bomb exploded in the Liberal Party campaign rally in Plaza Miranda, Manila, Philippines with several anti-Marcos political candidates injured.
- 1979Soviet dancer Alexander Godunov defects to the United States.
- 1986Carbon dioxide gas erupts from volcanic Lake Nyos in Cameroon, killing up to 1,800 people within a 20-kilometer range.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1165King Philip II of France (d. 1223)
- 1567Francis de Sales, Bishop of Geneva and saint (d. 1622)
- 1928Art Farmer, American trumpet player (d. 1999)
- 1929Marie Severin, American comic book artist and colorist
- 1945Jerry DaVanon, baseball player
- 1949Loretta Devine, American actress
- 1951Margo Kane, Canadian playwright.
- 1956Kim Cattrall, English-born actress
- 1966John Wetteland, Major League Baseball player
- 1975Simon Katich, Australian cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.