August 21: Day of the Week
August 21, 2019 is the 233rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 132 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1192Minamoto Yoritomo becomes Seii Tai Shōgun and the de facto ruler of Japan. (Traditional Japanese date: July 12, 1192)
- 1689The Battle of Dunkeld in Scotland.
- 1770James Cook formally claims eastern Australia for Great Britain, naming it New South Wales.
- 1831Nat Turner leads black slaves and free blacks in a rebellion.
- 1918World War I: The Second Battle of the Somme begins.
- 1942World War II: a Nazi flag is installed atop the Mount Elbrus.
- 1944Dumbarton Oaks Conference, prelude to the United Nations, begins.
- 1963Xa Loi Pagoda raids: the Army of the Republic of Vietnam Special Forces loyal to Ngo Dinh Nhu, brother of President Ngo Dinh Diem, vandalises Buddhist pagodas across the country, arresting thousands and leaving an estimated hundreds dead.
- 1991Coup attempt against Mikhail Gorbachev collapses.
- 2007Hurricane Dean makes its first landfall in Costa Maya, Mexico with winds at 165 mph. Dean is the first storm since Hurricane Andrew to make landfall as a Category 5.
Who were born on August 21?
- 1665Giacomo F. Maraldi, French-Italian astronomer (d. 1729)
- 1925Maurice Pialat, French actor and director (d. 2003)
- 1930Frank Perry, American film director (d. 1995)
- 1933Michael Dacher, German mountaineer (d. 1994)
- 1940Endre Szemerédi, Hungarian mathematician
- 1970Craig Counsell, American baseball player
- 1973Nikolay Valuev, Russian boxer
- 1985Melissa M, French singer
- 1990Bo Burnham, American comedic singer-songwriter and Internet Celebrity
- 1990Fabian Heimpel, German rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.