August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2019 is the 235th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1514Battle of Chaldiran ended with a decisive victory for the Sultan Selim I, Ottoman Empire, over the Shah Ismail I, Safavids founder.
- 1708Meidingnu Pamheiba is crowned King of Manipur.
- 1784Western North Carolina (now eastern Tennessee) declares itself an independent state under the name of Franklin; it wasn’t accepted into the United States, and only lasted for four years.
- 1839The United Kingdom captures Hong Kong as a base as it prepares for war with Qing China. The ensuing 3-year conflict will later be known as the First Opium War.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1943World War II: Kharkov liberated as a result of the Battle of Kursk.
- 1970Organized by Mexican American union leader César Chávez, the Salad Bowl strike, the largest farm worker strike in U.S. history, begins.
- 1989Singing Revolution: two million people from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand on the Vilnius-Tallinn road, holding hands (Baltic Way).
- 1994Eugene Bullard, The only black pilot in World War I, is posthumously commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
- 1996Osama bin Laden issues message entitled 'A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.'
Who were born on August 23?
- 1623Stanisław Lubieniecki, Polish Socinian theologist (d. 1675)
- 1868Edgar Lee Masters, American author (d. 1950)
- 1877István Medgyaszay, Hungarian architect and writer (d. 1959)
- 1900Louise Nevelson, American sculptor (d. 1988)
- 1924Robert Solow, American economist, Nobel laureate
- 1925Robert Mulligan, American film director (d. 2008)
- 1958Julio Franco, Dominican baseball player
- 1974Shifty Shellshock, American musician (Crazy Town)
- 1981Carlos Cuéllar, Spanish footballer
- 1982Trevor Wright, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.