August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2019 was the 235th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Clarence’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1555Calvinists are granted rights in the Netherlands.
- 1799Napoleon leaves Egypt for France en route to seize power.
- 1914World War I: Japan declares war on Germany and bombs Qingdao, China.
- 1942World War II: Beginning of the Battle of Stalingrad.
- 1946Ordinance No. 46 of the British Military Government constitutes the German Land (state) of Schleswig-Holstein.
- 1970Organized by Mexican American union leader César Chávez, the Salad Bowl strike, the largest farm worker strike in U.S. history, begins.
- 1973A bank robbery gone wrong in Stockholm, Sweden, turns into a hostage crisis; over the next five days the hostages begin to sympathise with their captors, leading to the term “Stockholm syndrome”.
- 19891,645 Australian domestic airline pilots resign after the airlines threaten to fire them and sue them over a dispute.
- 2006Natascha Kampusch, who had been abducted at the age of 10, managed to escape from her captor Wolfgang Priklopil, after 8 years of captivity.
- 2010Manila hostage crisis, in which 8 hostages were killed
Who were born on August 23?
- 1724Abraham Yates, American Continental Congressman (d. 1796)
- 1754King Louis XVI of France (d. 1793)
- 1900Ernst Krenek, Austrian-born composer (d. 1991)
- 1922Pierre Gauvreau, French Canadian painter, television writer and producer
- 1923Edgar F. Codd, English computer scientist (d. 2003)
- 1929Vera Miles, American actress
- 1963Richard Illingworth, England cricketer
- 1970Jay Mohr, American actor and comedian
- 1972Mark Butcher, England cricketer
- 1974Shifty Shellshock, American musician (Crazy Town)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.