August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2020 is the 236th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Mildred’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1572Mob violence against Huguenots in Paris – St. Bartholomew’s Day massacre.
- 1864The Union Navy captures Fort Morgan, Alabama, thus breaking Confederate dominance of all ports on the Gulf of Mexico.
- 1927Sacco and Vanzetti are executed.
- 1939World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1990Armenia declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1990Saddam Hussein appears on Iraqi state television with a number of Western “guests” (actually hostages) to try to prevent the Gulf War.
- 1996Osama bin Laden issues message entitled 'A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.'
- 2006Natascha Kampusch, who had been abducted at the age of 10, managed to escape from her captor Wolfgang Priklopil, after 8 years of captivity.
- 2011A 5.8 earthquake occurred in Mineral, Virginia, the earthquake was felt as far north as Ontario and as far south as Atlanta, Georgia. Damaged occurred to monuments in Washington D.C. and the resulted damage was estimated at $100 Million.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1757Marie Magdalene Charlotte Ackermann, German actress (d. 1775)
- 1769Georges Cuvier, French biologist and statesman (d. 1832)
- 1875Eugene Lanceray, Russian artist (d. 1946)
- 1903William Primrose, Scottish violist (d. 1982)
- 1927Martial Solal, French jazz pianist and composer
- 1951Queen Noor of Jordan
- 1962Shaun Ryder, English musician
- 1968Chris DiMarco, American golfer
- 1970Lawrence Frank, American basketball coach
- 1978Julian Casablancas, American singer (The Strokes)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.