August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2017 was the 235th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Virgo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1555Calvinists are granted rights in the Netherlands.
- 1799Napoleon leaves Egypt for France en route to seize power.
- 1873Albert Bridge in Chelsea, London opened.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1923Capt. Lowell Smith and Lt. John P. Richter performed the first mid-air refueling on De Havilland DH-4B, setting an endurance flight record of 37 hours.
- 1927Sacco and Vanzetti are executed.
- 1948World Council of Churches is formed.
- 1989Singing Revolution: two million people from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania stand on the Vilnius-Tallinn road, holding hands (Baltic Way).
- 1996Osama bin Laden issues message entitled 'A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.'
- 2007The skeletal remains of Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia, and his sister Anastasia are found near Yekaterinburg, Russia.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1883Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright IV, American general (d. 1953)
- 1921Kenneth Arrow, American economist, Bank of Sweden Prize winner
- 1922Jean Darling, American child actress
- 1946Keith Moon, English musician (The Who) (d. 1978)
- 1961Dean DeLeo, American musician (Stone Temple Pilots)
- 1970Brad Mehldau, American pianist
- 1974Ray Park, Scottish actor
- 1975Eliza Carthy, English singer and fiddler
- 1979Ritchie Neville, British musician
- 1988Jeremy Lin, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.