August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2019 is the 235th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Virgo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1839The United Kingdom captures Hong Kong as a base as it prepares for war with Qing China. The ensuing 3-year conflict will later be known as the First Opium War.
- 1866Austro-Prussian War ends with the Treaty of Prague.
- 1923Capt. Lowell Smith and Lt. John P. Richter performed the first mid-air refueling on De Havilland DH-4B, setting an endurance flight record of 37 hours.
- 1927Sacco and Vanzetti are executed.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1966Lunar Orbiter 1 takes the first photograph of Earth from orbit around the Moon.
- 1985Hans Tiedge, top counter-spy of West Germany, defects to East Germany.
- 1990Armenia declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1994Eugene Bullard, The only black pilot in World War I, is posthumously commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
- 2000Gulf Air Flight 072 crashes into the Persian Gulf near Manama, Bahrain, killing 143.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1757Marie Magdalene Charlotte Ackermann, German actress (d. 1775)
- 1805Anton von Schmerling, Austrian statesman (d. 1893)
- 1852Clímaco Calderón, President of Colombia. (d. 1913)
- 1921Kenneth Arrow, American economist, Bank of Sweden Prize winner
- 1922George Kell, American baseball player (d. 2009)
- 1945Rayfield Wright, American football player
- 1951Akhmad Kadyrov, President of Chechnya (d. 2004)
- 1953Ernst Savkovic, German footballer
- 1956Andreas Floer, German mathematician (d. 1991)
- 1958Julio Franco, Dominican baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.