August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2020 is the 236th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Maya’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 79Mount Vesuvius begins stirring, on the feast day of Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.
- 1555Calvinists are granted rights in the Netherlands.
- 1595Michael the Brave confronts the Ottoman army in the Battle of Calugareni.
- 1650Colonel George Monck of the English Army forms Monck’s Regiment of Foot, which will later become the Coldstream Guards.
- 1864The Union Navy captures Fort Morgan, Alabama, thus breaking Confederate dominance of all ports on the Gulf of Mexico.
- 1914World War I: Japan declares war on Germany and bombs Qingdao, China.
- 1921British airship R-38 experiences structural failure over Hull in England and crashes in the Humber estuary. Of her 49 British and American training crew, only 4 survive.
- 1942World War II: Beginning of the Battle of Stalingrad.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1990West Germany and East Germany announce that they will unite on October 3.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1875William Eccles, English radio pioneer (d. 1966)
- 1880Alexander Grin, Russian writer (d. 1932)
- 1900Ernst Krenek, Austrian-born composer (d. 1991)
- 1905Constant Lambert, British composer (d. 1951)
- 1944Antonia Novello, former United States Surgeon General
- 1948Andrei Pleşu, Romanian writer, essayist
- 1973Kerry Walmsley, New Zealand cricketer
- 1974Ray Park, Scottish actor
- 1981Carmen Luvana, American pornographic actress
- 2001Zaijian Jaranilla, Filipino actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.