August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2018 was the 235th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Virgo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 406Radagaisus is executed after he is defeated by the Roman army under Stilicho.
- 1514Battle of Chaldiran ended with a decisive victory for the Sultan Selim I, Ottoman Empire, over the Shah Ismail I, Safavids founder.
- 1708Meidingnu Pamheiba is crowned King of Manipur.
- 1896Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
- 1929Hebron Massacre during the 1929 Palestine riots: Arab attack on the Jewish community in Hebron in the British Mandate of Palestine, continuing until the next day, resulted in the death of 65-68 Jews and the remaining Jews being forced to leave the city.
- 1938English cricketer Len Hutton sets a world record for the highest individual Test innings of 364, during a Test match against Australia.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1990West Germany and East Germany announce that they will unite on October 3.
- 1994Eugene Bullard, The only black pilot in World War I, is posthumously commissioned as Second Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.
- 2011A 5.8 earthquake occurred in Mineral, Virginia, the earthquake was felt as far north as Ontario and as far south as Atlanta, Georgia. Damaged occurred to monuments in Washington D.C. and the resulted damage was estimated at $100 Million.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1754King Louis XVI of France (d. 1793)
- 1868Edgar Lee Masters, American author (d. 1950)
- 1912Gene Kelly, American dancer and actor (d. 1996)
- 1929Vera Miles, American actress
- 1960Rodney Alan Greenblat, American graphic artist
- 1969Keith Tyson, English artist
- 1973Malaika Arora Khan, Indian actress and model
- 1974Ray Park, Scottish actor
- 1977Douglas Sequeira, Costa Rican footballer
- 1983Sun Ming Ming, Chinese basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.