August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2021 is the 235th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Everett’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 406Radagaisus is executed after he is defeated by the Roman army under Stilicho.
- 1555Calvinists are granted rights in the Netherlands.
- 1914World War I: the Battle of Mons; the British Army begins withdrawal.
- 1927Sacco and Vanzetti are executed.
- 1929Hebron Massacre during the 1929 Palestine riots: Arab attack on the Jewish community in Hebron in the British Mandate of Palestine, continuing until the next day, resulted in the death of 65-68 Jews and the remaining Jews being forced to leave the city.
- 1977The Gossamer Condor wins the Kremer prize for human powered flight.
- 19891,645 Australian domestic airline pilots resign after the airlines threaten to fire them and sue them over a dispute.
- 1990Armenia declares its independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1990Saddam Hussein appears on Iraqi state television with a number of Western “guests” (actually hostages) to try to prevent the Gulf War.
- 2011Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi is overthrown after the National Transitional Council forces take control of Bab al-Azizia compound during the 2011 Libyan Civil War.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1524François Hotman, French lawyer and writer (d. 1590)
- 1829Moritz Cantor, German mathematician (d. 1920)
- 1880Alexander Grin, Russian writer (d. 1932)
- 1923Edgar F. Codd, English computer scientist (d. 2003)
- 1947Willy Russell, British playwright
- 1960Rodney Alan Greenblat, American graphic artist
- 1964Johan Bruyneel, Belgian cyclist
- 1973Kerry Walmsley, New Zealand cricketer
- 1974Shifty Shellshock, American musician (Crazy Town)
- 1986Neil Cicierega, American cartoonist and musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.