August 23: Day of the Week
August 23, 2020 is the 236th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 130 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jocelyn’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1765Beginning of Burmese–Siamese War (1765–1767)
- 1866Austro-Prussian War ends with the Treaty of Prague.
- 1873Albert Bridge in Chelsea, London opened.
- 1938English cricketer Len Hutton sets a world record for the highest individual Test innings of 364, during a Test match against Australia.
- 1944World War II King Michael of Romania dismisses the pro-Nazi government of General Antonescu, who is arrested. Romania switches sides from the Axis to the Allies (see King Michael’s Coup)
- 1946Ordinance No. 46 of the British Military Government constitutes the German Land (state) of Schleswig-Holstein.
- 1958Chinese Civil War: The Second Taiwan Strait crisis begins with the People’s Liberation Army’s bombardment of Quemoy.
- 1977The Gossamer Condor wins the Kremer prize for human powered flight.
- 1990Saddam Hussein appears on Iraqi state television with a number of Western “guests” (actually hostages) to try to prevent the Gulf War.
- 2006Natascha Kampusch, who had been abducted at the age of 10, managed to escape from her captor Wolfgang Priklopil, after 8 years of captivity.
Who were born on August 23?
- 1875Eugene Lanceray, Russian artist (d. 1946)
- 1880Alexander Grin, Russian writer (d. 1932)
- 1901Guy Bush, Major League Baseball pitcher (d. 1985)
- 1908Hannah Frank, Scottish artist (d. 2008)
- 1921Sam Cook, England cricketer (d. 1996)
- 1928Marian Seldes, American actress
- 1961Gary Mabbutt, English footballer
- 1970Brad Mehldau, American pianist
- 1974Christian Beranek, American graphic novelist and actor
- 1975Eliza Carthy, English singer and fiddler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.