August 27: Day of the Week
August 27, 2018 was the 239th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 126 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Virgo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
August 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1810Napoleonic Wars: The French Navy defeats the British Royal Navy, preventing them from taking the harbour of Grand Port on Île de France.
- 1861Union forces attack Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
- 1921The British install the son of Sharif Hussein bin Ali (leader of the Arab Revolt of 1916 against the Ottoman Empire) as King Faisal I of Iraq.
- 1922The Turkish army takes the Aegean city of Afyonkarahisar from the Greeks.
- 1979A Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb kills British World War II admiral Louis Mountbatten and three others while they are boating on holiday in Sligo, Republic of Ireland. Shortly after, 18 British Army soldiers are killed in an ambush near Warrenpoint, Northern Ireland (see Warrenpoint ambush).
- 1982Turkish military diplomat Colonel Atilla Altıkat is shot and killed in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada’s capital. Justice Commandos Against Armenian Genocide claim responsibility, saying they are avenging the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians in the 1915 Armenian Genocide.
- 1991Moldova declares independence from the USSR.
- 1993The Rainbow Bridge, connecting Tokyo’s Shibaura and the island of Odaiba, is completed.
- 2003Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years, passing 34646418 mi distant.
- 2006Comair Flight 5191 crashes on takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky bound for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia. Of the passengers and crew, 49 of 50 are confirmed dead in the hours following the crash.
Who were born on August 27?
- 1677Otto Ferdinand von Abensberg und Traun, Austrian field marshal (d. 1748)
- 1868Hong Beom-do, Korean independence activist (d. 1943)
- 1903Ferenc Keserű, Hungarian water polo player (d. 1968)
- 1921Leo Penn, American film director (d. 1998)
- 1926Kristen Nygaard, Norwegian mathematician (d. 2002)
- 1943Bob Kerrey, former American Governor and Senator
- 1953Peter Stormare, Swedish-born actor
- 1959Downtown Julie Brown, Welsh TV personality and MTV VJ
- 1971Aygül Özkan, German politician
- 1973Dietmar Hamann, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.