August 27: Day of the Week
August 27, 2020 is the 240th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 126 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ira’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1793French counter-revolution: the port of Toulon revolts and admits the British fleet, which lands troops and seizes the port leading to Siege of Toulon.
- 1798Wolfe Tone’s United Irish and French forces clash with the British Army in the Battle of Castlebar, part of the Irish Rebellion of 1798, resulting in the creation of the French puppet Republic of Connaught.
- 1813French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte defeats a larger force of Austrians, Russians, and Prussians at the Battle of Dresden.
- 1883The eruption of Krakatoa
- 1922The Turkish army takes the Aegean city of Afyonkarahisar from the Greeks.
- 1928The Kellogg-Briand Pact outlawing war is signed by the first 15 nations to do so. Ultimately sixty-one nations will sign it.
- 1962The Mariner 2 unmanned space mission is launched to Venus by NASA.
- 1982Turkish military diplomat Colonel Atilla Altıkat is shot and killed in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada’s capital. Justice Commandos Against Armenian Genocide claim responsibility, saying they are avenging the massacre of 1.5 million Armenians in the 1915 Armenian Genocide.
- 2000540 m-tall Ostankino Tower in Moscow catches fire, three people are killed.
- 2003Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in nearly 60,000 years, passing 34646418 mi distant.
Who were born on August 27?
- 1874Carl Bosch, German chemist Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1940)
- 1914Heidi Kabel, German actress (d. 2010)
- 1916Martha Raye, American actress (d. 1994)
- 1937Alice Coltrane, American jazz musician (d. 2007)
- 1949Jeff Cook, vocals, guitar, keyboards, bass, fiddle, banjo and mandolin for Alabama
- 1958Normand Brathwaite, Canadian comedian and television and radio host
- 1961Yolanda Adams, American gospel singer
- 1970Peter Ebdon, English snooker player
- 1972The Great Khali, Indian professional wrestler
- 1975Mark Rudan, Australian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.