August 27: Day of the Week
August 27, 2020 is the 240th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 126 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Arthur’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1172Henry the Young King and Margaret of France are crowned as junior king and queen of England.
- 1793French counter-revolution: the port of Toulon revolts and admits the British fleet, which lands troops and seizes the port leading to Siege of Toulon.
- 1810Napoleonic Wars: The French Navy defeats the British Royal Navy, preventing them from taking the harbour of Grand Port on Île de France.
- 1828Uruguay is formally proclaimed independent at preliminary peace talks brokered by Great Britain between Brazil and Argentina during the Argentina-Brazil War.
- 1916Romania declares war against Austria-Hungary, entering World War I as one of the Allied nations.
- 1979A Provisional Irish Republican Army bomb kills British World War II admiral Louis Mountbatten and three others while they are boating on holiday in Sligo, Republic of Ireland. Shortly after, 18 British Army soldiers are killed in an ambush near Warrenpoint, Northern Ireland (see Warrenpoint ambush).
- 1991Moldova declares independence from the USSR.
- 1993The Rainbow Bridge, connecting Tokyo’s Shibaura and the island of Odaiba, is completed.
- 2006Comair Flight 5191 crashes on takeoff from Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky bound for Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, Georgia. Of the passengers and crew, 49 of 50 are confirmed dead in the hours following the crash.
- 2009The Burmese military junta and ethnic armies begin three days of violent clashes in the Kokang Special Region.
Who were born on August 27?
- 1845Ödön Lechner, Hungarian architect (d. 1914)
- 1865James Henry Breasted, American Egyptologist (d. 1935)
- 1904John Hay Whitney, American financier (d. 1982)
- 1917Peanuts Lowrey, American baseball player (d. 1986)
- 1935Frank Yablans, American film producer
- 1948Sgt. Slaughter, American professional wrestler
- 1970Jim Thome, American baseball player
- 1971Aygül Özkan, German politician
- 1976Sarah Chalke, Canadian actress
- 1979Giovanni Capitello, American filmmaker and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.