August 28: Day of the Week
August 28, 2021 is the 240th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 125 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PGQAPPUDYBAE? Check your answers here: Unscramble words PGQAPPUDYBAE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1619Ferdinand II is elected emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1830The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s new Tom Thumb steam locomotive races a horse-drawn car, presaging steam’s role in US railroading.
- 1909A group of mid-level Greek Army officers launches the Goudi coup, seeking wide-ranging reforms.
- 1913Queen Wilhelmina opens the Peace Palace in The Hague.
- 1914World War I: German troops conquer Namur.
- 1914World War I: the Royal Navy defeats the German fleet in the Battle of Heligoland Bight.
- 1916World War I: Germany declares war on Romania.
- 1937Toyota Motors becomes an independent company.
- 1968Riots in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention.
- 1996Charles, Prince of Wales and Diana, Princess of Wales divorce.
Who were born on August 28?
- 1714Anthony Ulrich II, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (d. 1774)
- 1814Sheridan Le Fanu, Irish writer (d. 1873)
- 1828Leo Tolstoy, Russian author (birthdate according to O.S.) (d. 1910)
- 1911Joseph Luns, Dutch politician (d. 2002)
- 1921Nancy Kulp, American actress (d. 1991)
- 1936Don Denkinger, American baseball umpire
- 1951Wayne Osmond, American singer (The Osmonds)
- 1952Jacques Chagnon, Canadian politician
- 1957Rick Rossovich, American actor
- 1979Kristen Hughes, Australian netballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.