August 28: Day of the Week
August 28, 2021 is the 240th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 125 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZNAGUROUUW? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters ZNAGUROUUW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 28 Historical Event(s)
- 475The Roman general Orestes forces western Roman Emperor Julius Nepos to flee his capital city, Ravenna.
- 663Silla–Tang armies crush the Baekje restoration attempt and force Yamato Japan to withdraw from Korea in the Battle of Baekgang.
- 1845The first issue of Scientific American magazine is published.
- 1862American Civil War: Second Battle of Bull Run, also known as the Battle of Second Manassas.
- 1909A group of mid-level Greek Army officers launches the Goudi coup, seeking wide-ranging reforms.
- 1924The Georgian opposition stages the August Uprising against the Soviet Union.
- 1968Riots in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention.
- 1988Ramstein airshow disaster: three aircraft of the Frecce Tricolori demonstration team collide and the wreckage falls into the crowd. 75 are killed and 346 seriously injured.
- 1990The Plainfield Tornado: an F5 tornado hits in Plainfield, Illinois, and Joliet, Illinois, killing 28 people.
- 2003An electricity blackout cuts off power to around 500,000 people living in south east England and brings 60% of London’s underground rail network to a halt.
Who were born on August 28?
- 1801Antoine Augustin Cournot, French mathematician (d. 1877)
- 1916C. Wright Mills American sociologist (d. 1962)
- 1919Sir Godfrey Hounsfield, English electrical engineer Nobel Laureate (d. 2004)
- 1924Janet Frame, New Zealand author (d. 2004)
- 1928F. William Free, American advertising executive (d. 2003)
- 1936Don Denkinger, American baseball umpire
- 1969Jack Black, American actor
- 1972Jay Witasick, American baseball player
- 1974Carsten Jancker, German footballer
- 1983Luke McAlister, New Zealand All Black rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.