August 28: Day of the Week
August 28, 2020 is the 241st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 125 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Beth’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1521The Ottoman Turks occupy Belgrade.
- 1640Second Bishop’s War: King Charles I’s English army loses to a Scottish Covenanter force at the Battle of Newburn.
- 1830The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s new Tom Thumb steam locomotive races a horse-drawn car, presaging steam’s role in US railroading.
- 1859A geomagnetic storm causes the Aurora Borealis to shine so brightly that it is seen clearly over parts of USA, Europe, and even as far away as Japan.
- 1867The United States takes possession of the, at this point unoccupied, Midway Atoll.
- 1916World War I: Germany declares war on Romania.
- 1955Black teenager Emmett Till is murdered in Mississippi, galvanizing the nascent American Civil Rights Movement.
- 1979An IRA bomb explodes on the Grand Place in Brussels.
- 1991Collapse of the Soviet Union – Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as General Secretary of the Soviet Communist Party.
- 1998Pakistan’s National Assembly passes a constitutional amendment to make the “Qur'an and Sunnah” the “supreme law” but the bill is defeated in the Senate.
Who were born on August 28?
- 1894Karl Böhm, Austrian conductor (d. 1981)
- 1930Ben Gazzara, American actor
- 1947Liza Wang, Hong Kong actress
- 1951Keiichi Suzuki, Japanese composer
- 1978Jess Margera, American drummer (CKY)
- 1980Carly Pope, Canadian actress
- 1981Agata Wróbel, Polish weightlifter
- 1986Gilad Shalit, Israeli soldier
- 1989Jokwon, South Korean singer (2AM)
- 1999Prince Nikolai of Denmark, Danish royalty
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.