August 28: Day of the Week
August 28, 2020 is the 241st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 125 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Aidan’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 28 Historical Event(s)
- 489Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths defeats Odoacer at the Battle of Isonzo, forcing his way into Italy.
- 1609Henry Hudson discovers Delaware Bay.
- 1830The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s new Tom Thumb steam locomotive races a horse-drawn car, presaging steam’s role in US railroading.
- 1859A geomagnetic storm causes the Aurora Borealis to shine so brightly that it is seen clearly over parts of USA, Europe, and even as far away as Japan.
- 1879Cetshwayo, last king of the Zulus, is captured by the British.
- 1913Queen Wilhelmina opens the Peace Palace in The Hague.
- 1914World War I: the Royal Navy defeats the German fleet in the Battle of Heligoland Bight.
- 1957U.S. Senator Strom Thurmond begins a filibuster to prevent the Senate from voting on Civil Rights Act of 1957; he stopped speaking 24 hours and 18 minutes later, the longest filibuster ever conducted by a single Senator.
- 1964The Philadelphia race riot begins.
- 1968Riots in Chicago, Illinois, during the Democratic National Convention.
Who were born on August 28?
- 1749Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and scientist (d. 1832)
- 1908Roger Tory Peterson, American ornithologist (d. 1996)
- 1916Hélène Baillargeon, Quebec singer and folklorist (d. 1997)
- 1925Donald O'Connor, American singer, dancer, and actor (d. 2003)
- 1941Sybille de Selys Longchamps, Belgian aristocrat
- 1948Heather Reisman, Canadian businesswoman
- 1957Ivo Josipovic, President of Croatia
- 1959Brian Thompson, American actor
- 1971Janet Evans, American swimmer
- 1981Matt Alrich, American lacrosse player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.