August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2020 was the 242nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OLMGUKYUTX? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OLMGUKYUTX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1475The Treaty of Picquigny ends a brief war between France and England.
- 1831Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction.
- 1907The Quebec Bridge collapses during construction, killing 75 workers.
- 1910The Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, also known as the Japan–Korea Annexation Treaty, becomes effective, officially starting the period of Japanese rule in Korea.
- 1911Ishi, considered the last Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 1930The last 36 remaining inhabitants of St Kilda are voluntarily evacuated to other parts of Scotland.
- 1943German-occupied Denmark scuttles most of its navy; Germany dissolves the Danish government.
- 1970Chicano Moratorium against the Vietnam War, East Los Angeles, California. Police riot kills three people, including journalist Ruben Salazar.
- 1997At least 98 villagers are killed by the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria GIA in the Rais massacre, Algeria.
- 2005Hurricane Katrina devastates much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, killing more than 1,836 and causing over $80 billion in damage.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1876Kim Gu, President of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea (d. 1949)
- 1926Betty Lynn, American actress
- 1958Lenny Henry, British writer, comedian and actor
- 1958Michael Jackson, American pop singer (d. 2009)
- 1964Zisis Tsekos, Greek footballer
- 1967Anton Newcombe, American musician (The Brian Jonestown Massacre)
- 1977Charlie Pickering, Australian comedian
- 1980Mohammad Sheikh, Kenyan cricketer
- 1990Patrick van Aanholt, Dutch footballer
- 1993Lucas Cruikshank, American Internet personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.