August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2019 is the 241st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1521The Ottoman Turks capture Nándorfehérvár, now known as Belgrade.
- 1541The Ottoman Turks capture Buda, the capital of the Hungarian Kingdom.
- 1786Shays’ Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1842Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War.
- 1898The Goodyear tire company is founded.
- 1910The Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, also known as the Japan–Korea Annexation Treaty, becomes effective, officially starting the period of Japanese rule in Korea.
- 1950Korean War: British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- 1966The Beatles perform their last concert before paying fans at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.
- 1970Chicano Moratorium against the Vietnam War, East Los Angeles, California. Police riot kills three people, including journalist Ruben Salazar.
- 1991Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union suspends all activities of the Soviet Communist Party.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1632John Locke, English philosopher (d. 1704)
- 1843David B. Hill, Governor of New York (d. 1910)
- 1862Maurice Maeterlinck, Belgian poet Nobel laureate (d. 1949)
- 1904Werner Forssmann, German physician Nobel laureate (d. 1979)
- 1915Nathan Pritikin, American nutritionist (d. 1985)
- 1950Doug DeCinces, American baseball player
- 1953James Quesada, Nicaraguan/American anthropologist
- 1959Timothy Perry Shriver, member of the Kennedy Family
- 1978Celestine Babayaro, Nigerian footballer
- 1987Tony Kane, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.