August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2019 was the 241st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Lucas’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1498Vasco da Gama decides to depart Calicut and return to Portugal.
- 1526Battle of Mohács: The Ottoman Turks led by Suleiman the Magnificent defeat and kill the last Jagiellonian king of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 1831Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction.
- 1903The Russian battleship Slava, the last of the five Sclass Borodinos, is launched.
- 1910The Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, also known as the Japan–Korea Annexation Treaty, becomes effective, officially starting the period of Japanese rule in Korea.
- 1915US Navy salvage divers raise F-4, the first U.S. submarine sunk in accident.
- 1918Bapaume taken by the New Zealand Division in the Hundred Days Offensive.
- 1958United States Air Force Academy opens in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- 1991Libero Grassi, an Italian businessman from Palermo is killed by the Mafia after taking a solitary stand against their extortion demands.
- 1991Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union suspends all activities of the Soviet Communist Party.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1910Vivien Thomas, African American surgeon (d. 1985)
- 1934Dimitris Papamichael, Greek actor and director (d. 2004)
- 1946Dimitris Christofias, Cypriot politician and sixth President of the Republic of Cyprus
- 1956GG Allin, American rock singer (d. 1993)
- 1959Timothy Perry Shriver, member of the Kennedy Family
- 1972Bae Yong Joon, South Korean actor
- 1975Juan Diego Botto, Argentine-Spanish actor
- 1976Pablo Mastroeni, American soccer player
- 1978Celestine Babayaro, Nigerian footballer
- 1984Alexander Hug, German rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.