August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2021 was the 241st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XDCFOTUUUROY? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters XDCFOTUUUROY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1526Battle of Mohács: The Ottoman Turks led by Suleiman the Magnificent defeat and kill the last Jagiellonian king of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 1786Shays’ Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1842Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War.
- 1861American Civil War: US Navy squadron captures forts at Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina.
- 1871Emperor Meiji orders the Abolition of the han system and the establishment of prefectures as local centers of administration. (Traditional Japanese date: July 14, 1871).
- 1898The Goodyear tire company is founded.
- 1907The Quebec Bridge collapses during construction, killing 75 workers.
- 1930The last 36 remaining inhabitants of St Kilda are voluntarily evacuated to other parts of Scotland.
- 1958United States Air Force Academy opens in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- 2005Hurricane Katrina devastates much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, killing more than 1,836 and causing over $80 billion in damage.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1844Edward Carpenter, English poet (d. 1929)
- 1943Dick Halligan, musician & composer
- 1958Lenny Henry, British writer, comedian and actor
- 1961Rodney McCray, American basketball player
- 1971Carla Gugino, American actress
- 1975Kyle Cook, guitarist, Matchbox 20
- 1976Pablo Mastroeni, American soccer player
- 1981Dennis Oh, Korean-American actor
- 1984Alexander Hug, German rugby player
- 1986Lauren Collins, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.