August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2021 is the 241st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EOOSASZN? Check your answers here: Word search EOOSASZN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1350Battle of Winchelsea (or Les Espagnols sur Mer): The English naval fleet under King Edward III defeats a Castilian fleet of 40 ships.
- 1825Portugal recognizes the Independence of Brazil.
- 1831Michael Faraday discovers electromagnetic induction.
- 1861American Civil War: US Navy squadron captures forts at Hatteras Inlet, North Carolina.
- 1907The Quebec Bridge collapses during construction, killing 75 workers.
- 1915US Navy salvage divers raise F-4, the first U.S. submarine sunk in accident.
- 1943German-occupied Denmark scuttles most of its navy; Germany dissolves the Danish government.
- 1950Korean War: British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- 1991Libero Grassi, an Italian businessman from Palermo is killed by the Mafia after taking a solitary stand against their extortion demands.
- 1997At least 98 villagers are killed by the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria GIA in the Rais massacre, Algeria.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1842Alfred Shaw, English cricketer (d. 1907)
- 1843David B. Hill, Governor of New York (d. 1910)
- 1862Maurice Maeterlinck, Belgian poet Nobel laureate (d. 1949)
- 1901Aurèle Joliat, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1986)
- 1929Thom Gunn, British poet (d. 2004)
- 1936John McCain, American politician
- 1956Mark Morris, American choreographer
- 1976Kevin Kaesviharn, American football player
- 1977John Patrick O'Brien, American footballer
- 1981Dennis Oh, Korean-American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.