August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2019 is the 241st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1350Battle of Winchelsea (or Les Espagnols sur Mer): The English naval fleet under King Edward III defeats a Castilian fleet of 40 ships.
- 1475The Treaty of Picquigny ends a brief war between France and England.
- 1521The Ottoman Turks capture Nándorfehérvár, now known as Belgrade.
- 1825Portugal recognizes the Independence of Brazil.
- 1871Emperor Meiji orders the Abolition of the han system and the establishment of prefectures as local centers of administration. (Traditional Japanese date: July 14, 1871).
- 1915US Navy salvage divers raise F-4, the first U.S. submarine sunk in accident.
- 1944Slovak National Uprising takes place as 60,000 Slovak troops turn against the Nazis.
- 1950Korean War: British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- 1996Vnukovo Airlines Flight 2801, a Vnukovo Airlines Tupolev Tu-154, crashes into a mountain on the Arctic island of Spitsbergen, killing all 141 aboard.
- 2003Ayatollah Sayed Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim, the Shia Muslim leader in Iraq, is assassinated in a terrorist bombing, along with nearly 100 worshippers as they leave a mosque in Najaf.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1756Heinrich Graf von Bellegarde, Austrian field marshal and statesman (d. 1845)
- 1843David B. Hill, Governor of New York (d. 1910)
- 1928Charles Gray, English actor (d. 2000)
- 1939Jolán Kleiber-Kontsek, Hungarian athlete
- 1952Dave Malone, American rock guitarist
- 1956GG Allin, American rock singer (d. 1993)
- 1971Henry Blanco, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1975Juan Diego Botto, Argentine-Spanish actor
- 1980Nicholas Tse, Hong Kong singer and actor
- 1981Dennis Oh, Korean-American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.