August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2019 was the 241st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Eugene’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 708Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708).
- 1498Vasco da Gama decides to depart Calicut and return to Portugal.
- 1526Battle of Mohács: The Ottoman Turks led by Suleiman the Magnificent defeat and kill the last Jagiellonian king of Hungary and Bohemia.
- 1758The first American Indian Reservation is established, at Indian Mills, New Jersey.
- 1835The city of Melbourne, Australia is founded.
- 1930The last 36 remaining inhabitants of St Kilda are voluntarily evacuated to other parts of Scotland.
- 1941Tallinn, the Capital of Estonia is occupied by Nazi Germany following an occupation by the Soviet Union.
- 1943German-occupied Denmark scuttles most of its navy; Germany dissolves the Danish government.
- 1949Soviet atomic bomb project: The Soviet Union tests its first atomic bomb, known as First Lightning or Joe 1, at Semipalatinsk, Kazakhstan.
- 1996Vnukovo Airlines Flight 2801, a Vnukovo Airlines Tupolev Tu-154, crashes into a mountain on the Arctic island of Spitsbergen, killing all 141 aboard.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1777Nikita Yakovlevich Bichurin, founder of Sinology (d. 1853)
- 1915Nathan Pritikin, American nutritionist (d. 1985)
- 1933Arnold Koller, Swiss Federal Councilor
- 1943Dick Halligan, musician & composer
- 1971Alex Griffin, bassist, Ned’s Atomic Dustbin
- 1975Juan Diego Botto, Argentine-Spanish actor
- 1975Kyle Cook, guitarist, Matchbox 20
- 1977Jo Weil, German actor
- 1977John Hensley, American actor
- 1979Ryan Shealy, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.