August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2021 is the 241st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OKUUWTU? Check your answers here: Word finder OKUUWTU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1498Vasco da Gama decides to depart Calicut and return to Portugal.
- 1521The Ottoman Turks capture Nándorfehérvár, now known as Belgrade.
- 1655Warsaw falls without resistance to a small force under the command of Charles X Gustav of Sweden during The Deluge.
- 1786Shays’ Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1835The city of Melbourne, Australia is founded.
- 1871Emperor Meiji orders the Abolition of the han system and the establishment of prefectures as local centers of administration. (Traditional Japanese date: July 14, 1871).
- 1915US Navy salvage divers raise F-4, the first U.S. submarine sunk in accident.
- 1958United States Air Force Academy opens in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- 1982The synthetic chemical element Meitnerium, atomic number 109, is first synthesized at the Gesellschaft für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt, Germany.
- 1996Vnukovo Airlines Flight 2801, a Vnukovo Airlines Tupolev Tu-154, crashes into a mountain on the Arctic island of Spitsbergen, killing all 141 aboard.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1843David B. Hill, Governor of New York (d. 1910)
- 1905Dhyan Chand, Indian hockey player (d. 1979)
- 1939Jolán Kleiber-Kontsek, Hungarian athlete
- 1953James Quesada, Nicaraguan/American anthropologist
- 1959Akkineni Nagarjuna, Indian Telugu actor
- 1959Rebecca De Mornay, American actress
- 1971Alex Griffin, bassist, Ned’s Atomic Dustbin
- 1976Kevin Kaesviharn, American football player
- 1977Aaron Rowand, American baseball player
- 1981Geneviève Jeanson, French Canadian cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.