August 29: Day of the Week
August 29, 2020 is the 242nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 124 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Glenda’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 29 Historical Event(s)
- 708Copper coins are minted in Japan for the first time (Traditional Japanese date: August 10, 708).
- 1786Shays’ Rebellion, an armed uprising of Massachusetts farmers, begins in response to high debt and tax burdens.
- 1885Gottlieb Daimler patents the world’s first internal combustion motorcycle, the Reitwagen
- 1898The Goodyear tire company is founded.
- 1911Ishi, considered the last Native American to make contact with European Americans, emerges from the wilderness of northeastern California.
- 1918Bapaume taken by the New Zealand Division in the Hundred Days Offensive.
- 1958United States Air Force Academy opens in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- 1966The Beatles perform their last concert before paying fans at Candlestick Park in San Francisco.
- 1996Vnukovo Airlines Flight 2801, a Vnukovo Airlines Tupolev Tu-154, crashes into a mountain on the Arctic island of Spitsbergen, killing all 141 aboard.
- 2003Ayatollah Sayed Mohammed Baqir al-Hakim, the Shia Muslim leader in Iraq, is assassinated in a terrorist bombing, along with nearly 100 worshippers as they leave a mosque in Najaf.
Who were born on August 29?
- 1780Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres, French painter (d. 1867)
- 1920Charlie Parker, American musician (d. 1955)
- 1922Mr. Blackwell, American fashion critic (d. 2008)
- 1923Hiralal Gaekwad, Indian cricketer (d. 2003)
- 1935William Friedkin, American film director
- 1945Wyomia Tyus, American athlete
- 1947Temple Grandin, American animal welfare and autism expert
- 1975Juan Diego Botto, Argentine-Spanish actor
- 1975Kyle Cook, guitarist, Matchbox 20
- 1993Liam Payne, Member of British/Irish boy band One Direction
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.