August 3: Day of the Week
August 3, 2019 is the 215th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 150 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 3 Historical Event(s)
- 8Roman Empire general Tiberius defeats Dalmatae on the river Bathinus.
- 1031Olaf II of Norway is canonised as Saint Olaf by Grimketel, the English Bishop of Selsey.
- 1811First ascent of Jungfrau, third highest summit in the Bernese Alps by brothers Johann Rudolf and Hieronymus Meyer.
- 1907Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis fines Standard Oil of Indiana a record $29.4 million for illegal rebating to freight carriers; the conviction and fine are later reversed on appeal.
- 1913A major labour dispute, known as the Wheatland Hop Riot, starts in Wheatland, California.
- 1936A fire wipes out Kursha-2 in the Meshchera Lowlands, Ryazan Oblast, Russia, killing 1,200 and leaving only 20 survivors.
- 1936Jesse Owens wins the 100 meter dash, defeating Ralph Metcalfe, at the Berlin Olympics.
- 1940World War II: Italian forces begin the invasion of British Somaliland.
- 1958The nuclear submarine USS Nautilus travels beneath the Arctic ice cap.
- 1960Niger gains independence from France.
Who were born on August 3?
- 1901John C Stennis, American politician (d. 1995)
- 1905Dolores del Río, Mexican actress (d. 1983)
- 1907Lawrence Brown, American jazz trombonist (d. 1988)
- 1916José Manuel Moreno, Argentine footballer (d. 1978)
- 1921Marilyn Maxwell, American actress (d. 1972)
- 1961Lee Rocker, American musician (Stray Cats)
- 1970Stephen Carpenter, American guitarist (Deftones)
- 1972Erika Marozsán, Hungarian actress
- 1980Tony Pashos, American football player
- 1993Yurina Kumai, Japanese singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.