August 3: Day of the Week
August 3, 2019 is the 215th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 150 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1783Mount Asama erupts in Japan, killing 35,000 people.
- 1811First ascent of Jungfrau, third highest summit in the Bernese Alps by brothers Johann Rudolf and Hieronymus Meyer.
- 1903Macedonian rebels in Kruševo proclaim the Kruševo Republic, which exists only for 10 days before Ottoman Turks lay waste to the town.
- 1921Major League Baseball Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis confirms the ban of the eight Chicago Black Sox, the day after they were acquitted by a Chicago court.
- 1958The nuclear submarine USS Nautilus travels beneath the Arctic ice cap.
- 1975A privately chartered Boeing 707 crashes into the mountainside near Agadir, Morocco, killing 188.
- 1977The United States Senate begins its hearing on Project MKULTRA.
- 1981Senegalese opposition parties, under the leadership of Mamadou Dia, launch the Antiimperialist Action Front-Suxxali Reew Mi.
- 2004The pedestal of the Statue of Liberty reopens after being closed since the September 11 attacks.
- 2005President of Mauritania Maaouya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya is overthrown in a military coup while attending the funeral of King Fahd in Saudi Arabia.
Who were born on August 3?
- 1855Joe Hunter, English cricketer (d. 1891)
- 1872King Haakon VII of Norway (d. 1957)
- 1925Marv Levy, American football coach
- 1928Henning Moritzen, Danish actor
- 1934William Calhoun, American professional wrestler (d. 1989)
- 1948Jean-Pierre Raffarin, French politician
- 1949B. B. Dickerson, American bass player & song writer
- 1949Philip Casnoff, American actor
- 1970Manmohan Waris, Indian Punjabi singer
- 1971Forbes Johnston, Scottish footballer (d. 2007)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.