August 5: Day of the Week
August 5, 2020 was the 218th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 148 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Desiree’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 5 Historical Event(s)
- 642Battle of Maserfield – Penda of Mercia defeats and kills Oswald of Northumbria.
- 1600The Gowrie Conspiracy against King James VI of Scotland (later to become King James I of England) takes place.
- 1763Pontiac’s War: Battle of Bushy Run – British forces led by Henry Bouquet defeat Chief Pontiac’s Indians at Bushy Run.
- 1772The First Partition of Poland begins.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: the Battle of Spicheren is fought, resulting in a Prussian victory.
- 1882The Standard Oil of New Jersey is established.
- 1949In Ecuador, an earthquake destroys 50 towns and kills more than 6,000.
- 1963The United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union sign a nuclear test ban treaty.
- 1974Vietnam War: the U.S. Congress places a $1 billion dollar limit on military aid to South Vietnam.
- 1979In Afghanistan, Maoists undertake an attempted military uprising.
Who were born on August 5?
- 1301Edmund of Woodstock, 1st Earl of Kent, English politician (d. 1330)
- 1623Antonio Cesti, Italian composer (d. 1669)
- 1815Edward John Eyre, English explorer (d. 1901)
- 1914David Brian, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1946Rick van der Linden, Dutch composer and keyboardist
- 1952Tamás Faragó, Hungarian water polo player
- 1955Eddie Ojeda, guitarist for Twisted Sister
- 1956Jerry Ciccoritti, Canadian film director
- 1972Christian Olde Wolbers, Belgian guitarist and bassist (Fear Factory)
- 1997Adam Irigoyen, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.