August 5: Day of the Week
August 5, 2019 is the 217th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 148 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
August 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1071Byzantine–Norman wars: Italo-Normans begin a nearly-three-year siege of Bari.
- 1100Henry I is crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey.
- 1305William Wallace, who led the Scottish resistance against England, is captured by the English near Glasgow and transported to London where he is put on trial and executed.
- 1388The Battle of Otterburn, a border skirmish between the Scottish and the English in Northern England, is fought near Otterburn.
- 1858Cyrus West Field and others complete the first transatlantic telegraph cable after several unsuccessful attempts. It will operate for less than a month.
- 1861The United States Army abolishes flogging.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Baton Rouge – along the Mississippi River near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Confederate troops drive Union forces back into the city.
- 1914In Cleveland, Ohio, the first electric traffic light is installed.
- 1957American Bandstand, a show dedicated to the teenage “baby-boomers” by playing the songs and showing popular dances of the time, debuts on the ABC television network.
- 1974Vietnam War: the U.S. Congress places a $1 billion dollar limit on military aid to South Vietnam.
Who were born on August 5?
- 1397Guillaume Dufay, Franco-Flemish composer and theorist (d. 1474)
- 1811Ambroise Thomas, French opera composer (d. 1896)
- 1813Ivar Aasen, Norwegian poet and linguist (d. 1896)
- 1866Harry Trott, Australian cricketer (d. 1917)
- 1889Conrad Aiken, American writer (d. 1973)
- 1927Gunnar Bucht, Swedish composer and musicologist
- 1937Herb Brooks, American ice hockey coach (d. 2003)
- 1941Leonid Kizim, Soviet cosmonaut (d. 2010)
- 1970James Gunn, American filmmaker
- 1981Rachel Scott, American murder victim (d. 1999)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.