August 5: Day of the Week
August 5, 2021 is the 217th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 148 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sue’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1388The Battle of Otterburn, a border skirmish between the Scottish and the English in Northern England, is fought near Otterburn.
- 1620The Mayflower departs from Southampton, England on its first attempt to reach North America.
- 1824Greek War of Independence: Constantine Kanaris leads a Greek fleet to victory against Ottoman and Egyptian ships in the Battle of Samos.
- 1861American Civil War: in order to help pay for the war effort, the United States government levies the first income tax as part of the Revenue Act of 1861 (3% of all incomes over US $800; rescinded in 1872).
- 1884The cornerstone for the Statue of Liberty is laid on Bedloe’s Island (now Liberty Island) in New York Harbor.
- 1901Peter O'Connor sets the first IAAF recognised long jump world record of 24 ft The record will stand for 20 years.
- 1944World War II: The Nazis begin a three-day massacre of anywhere between 40,000 and 100,000 civilians and prisoners of war in Wola, Poland.
- 1944World War II: possibly the biggest prison breakout in history occurs as 545 Japanese POWs attempt to escape outside the town of Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
- 1957American Bandstand, a show dedicated to the teenage “baby-boomers” by playing the songs and showing popular dances of the time, debuts on the ABC television network.
- 1969Mariner program: Mariner 7 makes its closest fly-by of Mars (3,524 kilometers).
Who were born on August 5?
- 1957Faith Prince, American actress
- 1960Seth Swirsky, American songwriter
- 1962Otis Thorpe, American basketball player
- 1969Venkatesh Prasad, Indian cricketer
- 1971“Evil” Jared Hasselhoff, American bassist (The Bloodhound Gang)
- 1973Sanwar Hossain, Bangladeshi cricketer
- 1975Antony Cotton, English actor
- 1981Cory Williams, American internet celebrity
- 1981Rachel Scott, American murder victim (d. 1999)
- 1989Mathieu Manset, French footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.