August 5: Day of the Week
August 5, 2021 is the 217th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 148 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters CCOKDNUVIHWE? Check your answers here: Word solver CCOKDNUVIHWE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
August 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1763Pontiac’s War: Battle of Bushy Run – British forces led by Henry Bouquet defeat Chief Pontiac’s Indians at Bushy Run.
- 1858Cyrus West Field and others complete the first transatlantic telegraph cable after several unsuccessful attempts. It will operate for less than a month.
- 1860Charles XV of Sweden of Sweden-Norway is crowned king of Norway in Trondheim.
- 1861American Civil War: in order to help pay for the war effort, the United States government levies the first income tax as part of the Revenue Act of 1861 (3% of all incomes over US $800; rescinded in 1872).
- 1925Plaid Cymru is formed with the aim of disseminating knowledge of the Welsh language that is at the time in danger of dying out.
- 1940World War II: the Soviet Union formally annexes Latvia.
- 1949In Ecuador, an earthquake destroys 50 towns and kills more than 6,000.
- 1971The first Pacific Islands Forum (then known as the “South Pacific Forum”) is held in Wellington, New Zealand, with the aim of enhancing cooperation between the independent countries of the Pacific Ocean.
- 1974Vietnam War: the U.S. Congress places a $1 billion dollar limit on military aid to South Vietnam.
- 2003A car bomb explodes in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta outside the Marriott Hotel killing 12 and injuring 150.
Who were born on August 5?
- 1827Deodoro da Fonseca, Brazilian statesman (d. 1892)
- 1888Victor Francen, Belgian-born French actor (d. 1977)
- 1890Naum Gabo, Russian sculptor (d. 1977)
- 1914David Brian, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1937Brian G. Marsden, British astronomer (d. 2010)
- 1941Leonid Kizim, Soviet cosmonaut (d. 2010)
- 1956Jerry Ciccoritti, Canadian film director
- 1962Otis Thorpe, American basketball player
- 1969Venkatesh Prasad, Indian cricketer
- 1983Korey Hall, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.