August 5: Day of the Week
August 5, 2020 is the 218th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 148 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the August calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Peridot is the modern birthstone for this month. Diamond is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Don’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
August 5 Historical Event(s)
- 910The last major Danish army to raid England is defeated at the Battle of Tettenhall by the allied forces of Mercia and Wessex, led by King Edward the Elder and Earl Aethelred of Mercia.
- 1716The Battle of Petrovaradin takes place.
- 1781The Battle of Dogger Bank takes place.
- 1861The United States Army abolishes flogging.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Baton Rouge – along the Mississippi River near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Confederate troops drive Union forces back into the city.
- 1882The Standard Oil of New Jersey is established.
- 1940World War II: the Soviet Union formally annexes Latvia.
- 1957American Bandstand, a show dedicated to the teenage “baby-boomers” by playing the songs and showing popular dances of the time, debuts on the ABC television network.
- 1960Burkina Faso, then known as Upper Volta, becomes independent from France.
- 1971The first Pacific Islands Forum (then known as the “South Pacific Forum”) is held in Wellington, New Zealand, with the aim of enhancing cooperation between the independent countries of the Pacific Ocean.
Who were born on August 5?
- 1641John Hathorne, American magistrate (d. 1717)
- 1844Ilya Yefimovich Repin, Russian painter and sculptor (d. 1930)
- 1906John Huston, American director (d. 1987)
- 1935John Saxon, American actor
- 1946Bruce Coslet, American football player and coach
- 1946Erika Slezak, American actress
- 1966Jennifer Finch, American photographer and musician
- 1966Jonathan Silverman, American actor
- 1972Theodore Whitmore, Jamaican footballer
- 1973Sanwar Hossain, Bangladeshi cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.