December 12: Day of the Week
December 12, 2019 is the 346th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 19 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
December 12 Historical Event(s)
- 627Battle of Nineveh: A Byzantine army under Emperor Heraclius defeats Emperor Khosrau II’s Persian forces, commanded by General Rhahzadh.
- 1942A fire in a hostel in St. John’s, Newfoundland, kills 100 people.
- 1946A fire at a New York City ice plant spreads to a nearby tenement killing 37 people.
- 1956Beginning of the Irish Republican Army’s “Border Campaign”.
- 1969Strategy of tension: Piazza Fontana bombing – The offices of Banca Nazionale dell'Agricoltura in Piazza Fontana, Milan, are bombed.
- 1979A major earthquake and tsunami kill 259 people in Colombia.
- 1982Women’s peace protest at Greenham Common – 30,000 women hold hands and form a human chain around the 14.5 km perimeter fence.
- 1984Maaouiya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya becomes the third president of Mauritania after a coup d'état against Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla while the latter is attending a summit.
- 1985Arrow Air Flight 1285 crashes after takeoff in Gander, Newfoundland, killing 256, including 236 members of the United States Army’s 101st Airborne Division.
- 2000The United States Supreme Court releases its decision in Bush v. Gore.
Who were born on December 12?
- 1659Francesco Galli-Bibiena, Italian architect/designer (d. 1739)
- 1907Roy Douglas, English composer and orchestrator
- 1919Dan DeCarlo, American cartoonist (d. 2001)
- 1923Ken Kavanagh, Australian racing driver
- 1927Robert Noyce, American inventor (d. 1990)
- 1928Chinghiz Aitmatov, Soviet-born Kyrgyz writer (d. 2008)
- 1944Jean Doré, Canadian politician
- 1962Mike Golic, American football player
- 1972Nicky Eaden, English footballer
- 1978Monica Barladeanu, Romanian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.