December 12: Day of the Week
December 12, 2023 is the 346th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 19 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the December calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Sagittarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Turquoise is the modern birthstone for this month. Onyx is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UTPUIXILWIR? Check your answers here: Word solver UTPUIXILWIR. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
December 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1098First Crusade: Massacre of Ma'arrat al-Numan – Crusaders breach the town’s walls and massacre about 20,000 inhabitants. After finding themselves with insufficient food, they resort to cannibalism.
- 1408The Order of the Dragon a monarchical chivalric order is created by Sigismund of Luxembourg, then King of Hungary.
- 1911Delhi replaces Calcutta as the capital of India.
- 1925The Majlis of Iran votes to crown Reza Khan as the new Shah of Persia.
- 1940World War II: Approximately 70 people are killed in the Marples Hotel, Fitzalan Square, Sheffield, as a result of a German air raid.
- 1950Paula Ackerman, the first woman appointed to perform rabbinical functions in the United States, leads the congregation in her first services.
- 1969Strategy of tension: Piazza Fontana bombing – The offices of Banca Nazionale dell'Agricoltura in Piazza Fontana, Milan, are bombed.
- 1982Women’s peace protest at Greenham Common – 30,000 women hold hands and form a human chain around the 14.5 km perimeter fence.
- 1984Maaouiya Ould Sid'Ahmed Taya becomes the third president of Mauritania after a coup d'état against Mohamed Khouna Ould Haidalla while the latter is attending a summit.
- 1988The Clapham Junction rail crash kills thirty-five and injures hundreds after two collisions of three commuter trains – one of the worst train crashes in the United Kingdom.
Who were born on December 12?
- 1298Albert II of Austria (d. 1358)
- 1610Saint Vasilije (d. 1671)
- 1849William Kissam Vanderbilt, member of the Vanderbilt family (d. 1920)
- 1875Gerd von Rundstedt, German field marshal (d. 1953)
- 1904Nicolas de Gunzburg, French magazine editor (d. 1981)
- 1918Joe Williams, American singer (d. 1999)
- 1958Lucie Guay, Canadian canoer
- 1968Laurie Williams, Jamaican cricketer (d. 2002)
- 1970Mädchen Amick, American actress
- 1979Sharin Foo, Danish singer and bassist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.