February 24: Day of the Week
February 24, 2019 was the 55th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 310 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Theodore’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 24: This Day in History
By Roman custom, February 24 is the day added to a leap year in the Julian calendar. The Mensis Intercalaris began on this day or the following day in intercalary years in the pre-Julian calendar. This custom still has some effect around the world; for example, with respect to name days in Hungary.
February 24 Historical Event(s)
- 303Diocletian, Roman Emperor, publishes his edict that begins the persecution of Christians in his portion of the Empire.
- 1711The London première of Rinaldo by George Frideric Handel, the first Italian opera written for the London stage.
- 1868Andrew Johnson becomes the first President of the United States to be impeached by the United States House of Representatives. He is later acquitted in the Senate.
- 1875The SS Gothenburg hits the Great Barrier Reef and sinks off the Australian east coast, killing approximately 100, including a number of high profile civil servants and dignitaries.
- 1881China and Russia sign the Sino-Russian Ili Treaty.
- 1942The Battle of Los Angeles, one of the largest documented UFO sightings in history; the event lasted into the early hours of February 26, 1942.
- 1976Cuba: national Constitution is proclaimed.
- 1983A special commission of the U.S. Congress releases a report that condemns the practice of Japanese internment during World War II.
- 2007Japan launches its fourth spy satellite, stepping up its ability to monitor potential threats such as North Korea.
- 2011Final Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery (OV-103).
Who were born on February 24?
- 1709Jacques de Vaucanson, French inventor (d. 1782)
- 1831Leo von Caprivi, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1899)
- 1842Arrigo Boito, Italian composer (d. 1918)
- 1898Kurt Tank, German aeronautical engineer and test pilot (d. 1983)
- 1924Erik Nielsen, Canadian politician (d. 2008)
- 1938Phil Knight, American sportswear manufacturer
- 1971Josh Bernstein, American explorer and television host
- 1972Manon Rhéaume, Canadian female ice hockey player
- 1974Bonnie Somerville, American actress and singer
- 1975Maurizio Giuliano, writer and traveller
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.