February 24: Day of the Week
February 24, 2020 was the 55th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 311 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sarah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
February 24: This Day in History
By Roman custom, February 24 is the day added to a leap year in the Julian calendar. The Mensis Intercalaris began on this day or the following day in intercalary years in the pre-Julian calendar. This custom still has some effect around the world; for example, with respect to name days in Hungary.
February 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1303Battle of Roslin, of the First War of Scottish Independence.
- 1538Treaty of Nagyvarad between Ferdinand I and John Zápolya.
- 1711The London première of Rinaldo by George Frideric Handel, the first Italian opera written for the London stage.
- 1831The Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, the first removal treaty in accordance with the Indian Removal Act, is proclaimed. The Choctaws in Mississippi cede land east of the river in exchange for payment and land in the West.
- 1976Cuba: national Constitution is proclaimed.
- 1980The United States Olympic Hockey team completes their Miracle on Ice by defeating Finland 4-2 to win the gold medal.
- 1981An earthquake registering 6.7 on the Richter scale hits Athens, killing 16 people and destroying buildings in several towns west of the city.
- 1996The last occurrence of February 24 as a leap day in the European Union and for the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1999The State of Arizona executes Karl LaGrand, a German national convicted of murder during a botched bank robbery, in spite of Germany’s legal action to attempt to save him.
- 2011Final Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery (OV-103).
Who were born on February 24?
- 1898Kurt Tank, German aeronautical engineer and test pilot (d. 1983)
- 1926John Gunther Dean, American diplomat
- 1932John Vernon, Canadian actor (d. 2005)
- 1938Kathleen Margaret Richardson, Baroness Richardson of Calow, British Baroness and Methodist reverend
- 1955Steve Jobs, American computer pioneer (d. 2011)
- 1958Plastic Bertrand, Belgian singer
- 1965Jane Swift, American politician
- 1970Kienast quintuplets, American quintuplets
- 1971Josh Bernstein, American explorer and television host
- 1987Chieko Kawabe, Japanese singer, model and actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.