January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2019 was the 3rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1749The first issue of Berlingske, Denmark’s oldest continually operating newspaper, is published.
- 1868Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- 1945World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa in Japan.
- 1949The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- 1953Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- 1961The SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, underwent a core explosion and meltdown, killing three workers.
- 1993In Moscow, Russia, George Bush and Boris Yeltsin sign the second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
- 1994More than seven million people from the former Apartheid Homelands, receive South African citizenship.
- 1996The Motorola StarTAC, the first flip phone and one of the first mobile phones to gain widespread consumer adoption, goes on sale.
- 1997China announces it will spend US$27.7 billion to fight erosion and pollution in the Yangtze and Yellow River valleys.
Who were born on January 3?
- 106 BCCicero, Roman statesman and philosopher (d. 43 BC)
- 1885Harry Elkins Widener, American book collector and victim of the RMS Titanic sinking (d. 1912)
- 1894ZaSu Pitts, American actress (d. 1963)
- 1930Robert Loggia, American actor
- 1932Coo Coo Marlin, American race car driver (d. 2005)
- 1964Bruce LaBruce, Canadian filmmaker
- 1972Yoon Chan, South Korean actor
- 1973Dan Harmon, American writer and producer
- 1975Danica McKellar, American actress
- 1986Lloyd Polite, American R&B singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.