January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2021 was the 3rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PKUGIAKM? Check your answers here: Words with these letters PKUGIAKM. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1431Joan of Arc is handed over to Bishop Pierre Cauchon.
- 1749The first issue of Berlingske, Denmark’s oldest continually operating newspaper, is published.
- 1848Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first president of the independent African Liberia.
- 1870The construction of the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
- 1888The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1945World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa in Japan.
- 1962Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
- 1976The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights comes into effect.
- 1994More than seven million people from the former Apartheid Homelands, receive South African citizenship.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1806Henriette Sontag, German soprano (d. 1854)
- 1887August Macke, German painter (d. 1914)
- 1907Ray Milland, British actor (d. 1986)
- 1911John Sturges, American director (d. 1982)
- 1916Bernard Greenhouse, American cellist (d. 2011)
- 1924Nell Rankin, American singer (d. 2005)
- 1972Nichole Nordeman, American singer
- 1974Alessandro Petacchi, Italian cyclist
- 1976Nicholas Gonzalez, American actor
- 1991Jerson Cabral, Dutch footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.