January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2019 was the 3rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1496Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
- 1749Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- 1749The first issue of Berlingske, Denmark’s oldest continually operating newspaper, is published.
- 1911A magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1944World War II: Top Ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down in his Corsair by Captain Masajiro Kawato flying a Zero.
- 1946Popular Canadian-American jockey George Woolf dies in a freak accident during a race; the annual George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award is created to honor him.
- 1953Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- 1977Apple Computer is incorporated.
- 1997China announces it will spend US$27.7 billion to fight erosion and pollution in the Yangtze and Yellow River valleys.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1803Douglas William Jerrold, British playwright (d. 1857)
- 1861William Renshaw, British champion tennis player (d. 1904)
- 1915Jack Levine, American painter (d. 2010)
- 1917Albert Mol, Dutch author, actor and TV personality (d. 2002)
- 1924Nell Rankin, American singer (d. 2005)
- 1934Carla Hills, American jurist, civil servant, and 5th United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- 1945Stephen Stills, American musician
- 1958Shim Hyung-rae, South Korean filmmaker
- 1965Steven A. LaChance, American Author
- 1984Billy Mehmet, Irish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.