January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1749Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- 1888The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1938The March of Dimes is established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1947Proceedings of the U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- 1958The West Indies Federation is formed.
- 1961The United States severs diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- 1990Former leader of Panama Manuel Noriega surrenders to American forces.
- 1994More than seven million people from the former Apartheid Homelands, receive South African citizenship.
- 1997China announces it will spend US$27.7 billion to fight erosion and pollution in the Yangtze and Yellow River valleys.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1722Fredric Hasselquist, Swedish naturalist (d. 1752)
- 1831Savitribai Phule, Indian social activist and educator (d. 1897)
- 1886Josephine Hull, American actress (d. 1957)
- 1892J. R. R. Tolkien, British writer (d. 1973)
- 1917Albert Mol, Dutch author, actor and TV personality (d. 2002)
- 1922Bill Travers, British actor and director (d. 1994)
- 1926W. Michael Blumenthal, American businessman, civil servant, and 64th United States Secretary of the Treasury
- 1945Stephen Stills, American musician
- 1966Martin Galway, Northern Ireland composer
- 1976Nicholas Gonzalez, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.