January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2023 was the 3rd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters APBUHHTZU? Check your answers here: Word solver APBUHHTZU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1496Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
- 1861American Civil War: Delaware votes not to secede from the United States.
- 1932Martial law is declared in Honduras to stop a revolt by banana workers fired by the United Fruit Company.
- 1938The March of Dimes is established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1947Proceedings of the U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- 1949The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- 1961Finland’s worst civilian aviation accident takes place when Aero Flight 311 crashes near Kvevlax, resulting in the deaths of all 25 people aboard.
- 1961The SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, underwent a core explosion and meltdown, killing three workers.
- 1977Apple Computer is incorporated.
- 1990Former leader of Panama Manuel Noriega surrenders to American forces.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1885Harry Elkins Widener, American book collector and victim of the RMS Titanic sinking (d. 1912)
- 1916Maxene Andrews, American singer (The Andrews Sisters) (d. 1995)
- 1920Siegfried Buback, Attorney-General of Germany (d. 1977)
- 1922Bill Travers, British actor and director (d. 1994)
- 1958Shim Hyung-rae, South Korean filmmaker
- 1972Yoon Chan, South Korean actor
- 1976Angelos Basinas, Greek footballer
- 1977A.J. Burnett, American baseball player
- 1977Mayumi Iizuka, Japanese voice actress
- 1987Leonidas Panagopoulos, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.