January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2021 was the 3rd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OOOVJAHW? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OOOVJAHW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1861American Civil War: Delaware votes not to secede from the United States.
- 1868Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- 1888The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1938The March of Dimes is established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1944World War II: Top Ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down in his Corsair by Captain Masajiro Kawato flying a Zero.
- 1956A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- 1959Separatists in the Maldives declare the establishment of the United Suvadive Republic.
- 1994More than seven million people from the former Apartheid Homelands, receive South African citizenship.
- 1996The Motorola StarTAC, the first flip phone and one of the first mobile phones to gain widespread consumer adoption, goes on sale.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1862Sir Matthew Nathan, British Governor of Queensland (d. 1939)
- 1876Wilhelm Pieck, East Germany statesman (d. 1960)
- 1916Betty Furness, American actress (d. 1994)
- 1930Mara Corday, American actress and model
- 1939Nikos Alefantos, Greek football manager
- 1945Stephen Stills, American musician
- 1950Victoria Principal, American actress
- 1972Yoon Chan, South Korean actor
- 1978Dimitra Kalentzou, Greek basketball player
- 1987Anchal Joseph Indian/American fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.