January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2019 was the 3rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Inez’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1496Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
- 1521Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull Decet Romanum Pontificem.
- 1777American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- 1848Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first president of the independent African Liberia.
- 1870The construction of the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
- 1944World War II: Top Ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down in his Corsair by Captain Masajiro Kawato flying a Zero.
- 1945World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa in Japan.
- 1953Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- 1956A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- 1990Former leader of Panama Manuel Noriega surrenders to American forces.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1710Richard Gridley, American Revolutionary soldier (d. 1796)
- 1911John Sturges, American director (d. 1982)
- 1930Robert Loggia, American actor
- 1939Gene Summers, American musician
- 1952Gianfranco Fini, Italian politician
- 1954Ross the Boss, American guitarist
- 1972Yoon Chan, South Korean actor
- 1976Nicholas Gonzalez, American actor
- 1977A.J. Burnett, American baseball player
- 1989Anya Rozova, Russian/American fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.