January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2020 was the 3rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Wanda’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1521Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull Decet Romanum Pontificem.
- 1815Austria, the United Kingdom, and France form a secret defensive alliance treaty against Prussia and Russia.
- 1870The construction of the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1932Martial law is declared in Honduras to stop a revolt by banana workers fired by the United Fruit Company.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1938The March of Dimes is established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1944World War II: Top Ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down in his Corsair by Captain Masajiro Kawato flying a Zero.
- 1961Finland’s worst civilian aviation accident takes place when Aero Flight 311 crashes near Kvevlax, resulting in the deaths of all 25 people aboard.
- 1999The Mars Polar Lander is launched.
Who were born on January 3?
- 106 BCCicero, Roman statesman and philosopher (d. 43 BC)
- 1719Francisco José Freire, Portuguese historian (d. 1773)
- 1916Maxene Andrews, American singer (The Andrews Sisters) (d. 1995)
- 1917Roger W. Straus, Jr., American publisher (d. 2004)
- 1920Renato Carosone, Italian musician (d. 2001)
- 1946John Paul Jones, British musician (Led Zeppelin)
- 1954Dean Hart, Canadian wrestler (d. 1990)
- 1964Bruce LaBruce, Canadian filmmaker
- 1981Naresh Iyer, Indian singer
- 1985Evan Moore, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.