January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2019 was the 3rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Blanche’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1431Joan of Arc is handed over to Bishop Pierre Cauchon.
- 1496Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
- 1521Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull Decet Romanum Pontificem.
- 1749Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- 1868Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- 1949The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- 1956A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- 1961Finland’s worst civilian aviation accident takes place when Aero Flight 311 crashes near Kvevlax, resulting in the deaths of all 25 people aboard.
- 1993In Moscow, Russia, George Bush and Boris Yeltsin sign the second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
- 2004Flash Airlines Flight 604 crashes into the Red Sea, resulting in 148 deaths, making it the deadliest aviation accident in Egyptian history.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1883Clement Attlee, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1967)
- 1885Harry Elkins Widener, American book collector and victim of the RMS Titanic sinking (d. 1912)
- 1886Josephine Hull, American actress (d. 1957)
- 1900Donald J. Russell, North American railroad executive (d. 1985)
- 1920Siegfried Buback, Attorney-General of Germany (d. 1977)
- 1922Bill Travers, British actor and director (d. 1994)
- 1932Coo Coo Marlin, American race car driver (d. 2005)
- 1954Ross the Boss, American guitarist
- 1978Kimberley Locke, American singer
- 1989Alex D. Linz, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.