January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2020 was the 3rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Shawn’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1777American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- 1848Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first president of the independent African Liberia.
- 1911A magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan.
- 1932Martial law is declared in Honduras to stop a revolt by banana workers fired by the United Fruit Company.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1947Proceedings of the U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- 1961The SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, underwent a core explosion and meltdown, killing three workers.
- 1976The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights comes into effect.
- 1999The Mars Polar Lander is launched.
- 2004Flash Airlines Flight 604 crashes into the Red Sea, resulting in 148 deaths, making it the deadliest aviation accident in Egyptian history.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1840Father Damien, Flemish missionary (d. 1889)
- 1912Armand Lohikoski, Finnish director (d. 2005)
- 1926W. Michael Blumenthal, American businessman, civil servant, and 64th United States Secretary of the Treasury
- 1942John Marsden, Australian lawyer (d. 2006)
- 1949Sylvia Likens, American torture victim (d. 1965)
- 1973Dan Harmon, American writer and producer
- 1977Michelle Stephenson, British singer (Spice Girls)
- 1978Kimberley Locke, American singer
- 1979Chris Geddes, Canadian volleyball player
- 1987Anchal Joseph Indian/American fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.