January 31: Day of the Week
January 31, 2020 was the 31st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 335 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SUQXOEBCDLU? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters SUQXOEBCDLU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1747The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- 1862Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5 in telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- 1929The Soviet Union exiles Leon Trotsky.
- 1943German Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to the Soviets at Stalingrad, followed 2 days later by the remainder of his Sixth Army, ending one of World War II’s fiercest battles.
- 1944World War II: American forces land on Kwajalein Atoll and other islands in the Japanese-held Marshall Islands.
- 1945US Army private Eddie Slovik is executed for desertion, the first such execution of an American soldier since the Civil War.
- 1950President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the hydrogen bomb.
- 1976New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 2000Alaska Airlines Flight 261 crash: An MD-83, experiencing horizontal stabilizer problems, crashes in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Point Mugu, California, killing all 88 aboard.
- 2007Suspects are arrested in Birmingham in the UK, accused of plotting the kidnap, holding and eventual beheading of a serving Muslim British soldier in Iraq.
Who were born on January 31?
- 1921E. Fay Jones, American architect (d. 2004)
- 1925Benjamin Hooks, American civil rights activist (d. 2010)
- 1926Tom Alston, American baseball player (d. 1993)
- 1927Norm Prescott, American animation producer (d. 2005)
- 1931Ernie Banks, American baseball player
- 1941Gerald McDermott, American filmmaker, children’s book author & illustrator
- 1959Anthony LaPaglia, Australian actor
- 1967Jason Cooper, English musician (The Cure)
- 1971Dimitris Markos, Greek footballer
- 1976Tyrone Nesby, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.