January 31: Day of the Week
January 31, 2020 was the 31st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 335 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Desiree’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1504France cedes Naples to Aragon.
- 1747The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- 1848John C. Fremont is court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders.
- 1849Corn Laws are abolished in the United Kingdom (following legislation in 1846).
- 1900Datu Muhammad Salleh is assassinated in Kampung Teboh, Tambunan, ending the Mat Salleh Rebellion
- 1929The Soviet Union exiles Leon Trotsky.
- 1946Yugoslavia’s new constitution, modeling the Soviet Union, establishes six constituent republics (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia).
- 1958James Van Allen discovers the Van Allen radiation belt.
- 1995President Bill Clinton authorizes a $20 billion loan to Mexico to stabilize its economy.
- 2033New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Ox in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 31?
- 1797Franz Schubert, Austrian composer (d. 1828)
- 1835King William Charles Lunalilo of Hawaiʻi (d. 1874)
- 1881Irving Langmuir, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1957)
- 1931Christopher Chataway, English athlete, newscaster and politician
- 1940Kitch Christie, South African rugby union coach (d. 1998)
- 1964Sylvie Bernier, French-Canadian diver
- 1974Wil Anderson, Australian comedian
- 1982Brad Thompson, American baseball player
- 1983James Sutton, British actor
- 1996Joel Courtney, American film actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.