January 31: Day of the Week
January 31, 2020 was the 31st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 335 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Joshua’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1504France cedes Naples to Aragon.
- 1862Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5 in telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- 1891The first attempt at a Portuguese republican revolution breaks out in the northern city of Porto.
- 1944World War II: During Anzio campaign 1st Ranger Battalion (Darby’s Rangers) is destroyed behind enemy lines in a heavily outnumbered encounter at Battle of Cisterna, Italy.
- 1957Eight people on the ground in Pacoima, California are killed following the mid-air collision between a Douglas DC-7 airliner and a Northrop F-89 Scorpion fighter jet.
- 1990The first McDonald’s in the Soviet Union opens in Moscow.
- 1995New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Pig in Chinese astrology.
- 2001In the Netherlands, a Scottish court convicts Libyan Abdelbaset al-Megrahi and acquits another Libyan citizen for their part in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland in 1988.
- 2003The Waterfall rail accident occurs near Waterfall, New South Wales, Australia.
- 2007Suspects are arrested in Birmingham in the UK, accused of plotting the kidnap, holding and eventual beheading of a serving Muslim British soldier in Iraq.
Who were born on January 31?
- 1550Henry I, Duke of Guise (d. 1588)
- 1865Henri Desgrange, French sports figure and journalist (d. 1940)
- 1865Shastriji Maharaj, Indian spiritual leader (d. 1951)
- 1929Jean Simmons, English American actress (d. 2010)
- 1948Muneo Suzuki, Japanese politician
- 1959Kelly Lynch, American actress
- 1977Shingo Katori, Japanese actor and singer (SMAP)
- 1978Ray Shah, Irish radio presenter
- 1982Jānis Sprukts, Latvian hockey player
- 1990Jacopo Fortunato, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.